Forest want Palmer.... we must sell !

4 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

Depends on the offer obviously but I do want to see us get some fees for players, particularly ones in the last year of their contracts. We need to move towards being more sustainable and that involves selling players at the right time. The right time to let of Palmer could be now

Or extend his contract 

Sell him for me, it’s a win, win all round. He’s been a solid performer for us, but a change of scenery would help him finish his career on a high. We get a fee and continue the rebuild of a new team, with new, younger players.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yep and Hunt got caught up field two or three times that could have cost us a goal. This is going to happen to every player. Bannan missed a sitter that other players would have buried but that why they are playing for a third division team not one of the top 6 in the premier league.

If you could take the defensive ability of Palmer and the attacking threat of Hunt you would have a very good full back.

Total myth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sell.

Last year of his contract. Either offer him a new one or make money on him while we can. This must be our policy moving forward - like we did with Borner even if it was just 100k or so.

Great servant but I’ve never really warmed to him as a player and I think we’re pretty well covered in the full back areas. Plus I’m not a fan of playing a right footer in the left back position. 

500k would be good business imo.

• Like 6

I think Palmer might be first choice left-back at the moment. Brown is young and unproven, Gibson is more of a centre-back I believe?

As others have pointed out he's versatile and a good member of the squad. So I think Forest would have to offer serious money for this to be worth our while. Someone said £300k near the start - that's nowhere near enough. Triple it and maybe it would be worth considering.

Selling Palmer instantly improves our squad instantly because he's a liability.

Doesn't track back well.

Gets on the wrong side of his man too often.

Doesn't score anywhere near enough goals.

Anyone who truly understands the game and watches closely will know he's not good enough and never has been.

Edited by mark77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Palmer is far from my favourite player and hasn't improved on his obvious faults in all his time here but he's solid enough for this division.

However we've got to stop letting players walk away for nothing at the end of their contracts, so in reality it boils down to whether he wants to continue his career here or DM sees him in the team long term.

If he's unlikely to be here after this season then it makes absolute sense to sell now while we can.

• Like 4

Guest Mcguigan
6 hours ago, room0035 said:

My thought are you are talking rollocks.

300 plus appearance a solid 7 out of 10 most games can play left back, right back, centre back and in midfield he is exactly the player we need in the mess we are in financial and wont be on that much compared to others in the squad who contribute a lot less.

He is still the best left back we have at the club and its not his first choice position.

get rid of the also rans first, like dunkley and luongo costing a lot and giving very little to the cause.

So Dunkley and Luongo are costing us a lot and are also rans in in LG 1 club. How, exactly do we “get rid” of them?

8 hours ago, Noleafclover said:

Needs to stay in my opinion unless it is a very good offer. Reliable, has improved hugely over the years and loves wednesday. Very under rated and gets alot of undue criticism.

This. If Forest offer silly money then we would have to consider it.

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

Doesn't track back well.

Anyone who truly understands the game and watches closely will know he's not good enough and never has been.

Thats first class "patronising" fella well done. 

All those managers who've played him, offered or recommended contract extensions,pfft,wtf do they know eh. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

Doesn't track back well.

And yet he's been picked consistently by all our managers for about 10 years now.

Suggest it might be you who doesn't understand the game.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

And yet he's been picked consistently by all our managers for about 10 years now.

Suggest it might be you who doesn't understand the game.

Largely because of poor recruitment.

When we got it right Hunt and Pudil were our first choice full backs. But it’s been woeful since (until this season hopefully).

• Like 3

Easy on this one, I reckon just chill and see what happens this year. Offering new deals or selling everyone just because contract is running out is potentially just as damaging as not offering young lads with potential new contracts early doors. Got to be a balance.

Palmer is a good squad player for now but not irreplaceable or young. Offer him a new deal if we're in league one again next season, but if we go up release him. 

Edited by BlackGold

If the offer is right for any player at any time we should be selling. I like Palmer and he is useful in a variety of positions but if we can get a good fee and he can get a nice big sign on bonus then fair enough. If he wants to get back into the Scotland set up he’s going to have to be playing at a higher level than L1 so that might just tip the balance. 

• Like 1