Forest want Palmer.... we must sell !

I’m not sure Forest will offer enough for it to be worth our while.

Liam can cover a variety of positions and is rarely injured or suspended. That is pretty invaluable in a long season.

Is Dawodu ready to step in if Hunt got injured? If not we’d then need to bring another loanee? 

Of course everyone has their price. But I’m not sure Forest will offer very much for a nearly 30 year old full back, and if not then I’d rather keep him around. 

We should be extending Palmer and if he won't, then we can cash in in January, but he's undervalued by many on here. 

From his point of view, I'd want to go to maximise my chances of getting into the Scotland team in the last few years of my international career by playing a division higher and under Hughton.

No obvious replacement in the squad for him due to his versatility unless the offer is a million plus then it’s probably better for us to keep him and let him go at the end of the season if that’s what he wants.

Unless Moore has a replacement lined up IMO part of our issue over the last few years has been not having a suitable replacement lined up in case we sell. 

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

Would let him go on a free if needs be and remove his wages.

Just never been clever enough as a player, always just a step behind.

Had a great chance yesterday after doing all the work and just went blank on the ball for a split second and out it went for a corner.

Unlike Bannan who was clear through and scored.......wait a minute, he didn't, did he?

Palmer is a defender, you don't really expect him to score many, (he doesn't).  He's a solid player across all the defensive positions, last season he put some cracking crosses in which was a surprise.

If he wants to go then good luck to him, he's been a great servant. If he wants to stay he won't let you down at this level. I really don't think his contract being in it's last year is important. He's not the type to run it down to move, if he wants to go he will, if he wants to stay he would still sign if he was in his last month..

• Haha 1

I really like the look of Jaden Brown, heard good things from Hudds fans too. He's quick and composed on the ball and looks decent in the tackle.

But he's a LB really and the only natural first team LB we have.

So for me Palmer is expendable but only if we get decent money. As we definately need backup for Hunt and Brown.

Would hope we can find a free transfer deal for another young promising FB before the deadline too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

I would hope we could get more than 300k for him!

I'd hope so too, but realistically, in the current financial climate I'd be very surprised if it was much more. There are loads of players out there looking for deals and not a load of cash floating about outside the prem. £500k would be a very good deal for us IMO.

2 hours ago, Noleafclover said:

Needs to stay in my opinion unless it is a very good offer. Reliable, has improved hugely over the years and loves wednesday. Very under rated and gets alot of undue criticism.

He loves Wednesday ?

That should not be a reason to keep hold of a bang average player.

I would have been a great servant to if given the chance.

Needs to go and we could do with the cash.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Palmer is a solid player who’ll put in a 7/10 performance pretty much every game and can do a job at left back or centre half if needed.

However… he’s 30 next month, his contract ends next summer, he’s got Hunt ahead of him at right back, and we’ve got Brown and now Gibson who are both left footers for the left back role.

If we can get a decent-ish fee for him and sign a promising young right back on lower wages to eventually succeed Hunt, then I think it makes sense for all parties to thank Palmer for his service and wish him all the best for the future. I trust Darren Moore to make the right decision for the club. 

• Like 1

Let’s not forget we are in L1 now and he’s in the last year of his contract. They will be offering peanuts I expect but if the club aren’t looking to renew his conttract next season or want to lower the wage bill further then we should cash in. 

We are still in a transfer window for 3 weeks so could easily replace him for someone on less money and/or better.

The reality is he’s not a stand-out player but puts in solid effort. You’d expect that of any professional footballer as standard in truth.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

A lot of people's responses in here are part of the reason why we are where we are and have only really been close to returning to the top division once or twice in the last 20 years

I mean literally nothing said in this thread is anywhere close to that - this is waffle

You realise no one on here is picking the team or making decisions on buying or selling players, right?

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
16 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

A lot of people's responses in here are part of the reason why we are where we are and have only really been close to returning to the top division once or twice in the last 20 years. Palmer is nowhere near good enough. He might be a great bloke and an owl through and through but ultimately we don't pay him (when we do pay him) for either of those qualities. We pay him for his ability as s footballer which isn't anywhere near good enough. The playoff final season was the only time we've really got close to returning to the top flight and it's no coincidence that Palmer rarely player that season. Thinking back to the last time we were promoted from this division he wouldn't have got in the reserve squad that season let alone the first team . If an offer comes in of more than £750k I'd be happy to accept that considering his age ability and contract status, if not like others have said we need to be getting him tied down to a longer contract on affordable terms.

He’s not that bad, was very average pre Carlos and lucky to not get the chop at that point but training and playing with better players made him improve, he became more consistent and resulted in getting in the Scotland squad. 

He’s a steady lower end Championship right back but now we have Hunt, he’s not first choice. And given his age, any decent offer we should accept and look to move on

Keep him. Should Brown or Gibson get injured, we'd need the cover. 

Whilst our recruiting has been good, all these loan signings are slightly concerning. 

What's to stop clubs recalling them and then really leaving us in the crap? 

Just now, HootHoot said:

Keep him. Should Brown or Gibson get injured, we'd need the cover. 

Whilst our recruiting has been good, all these loan signings are slightly concerning. 

What's to stop clubs recalling them and then really leaving us in the crap? 

There will be clauses in the loan deal - Season long loan sort of gives it away

Guest timrud

If they are offering money we should snap their hands off. He's been our weakest link for years and we now have a better LB and RB. Seems daft to turn money down for a bench player.

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

I really like the look of Jaden Brown, heard good things from Hudds fans too. He's quick and composed on the ball and looks decent in the tackle.

But he's a LB really and the only natural first team LB we have.

So for me Palmer is expendable but only if we get decent money. As we definately need backup for Hunt and Brown.

Would hope we can find a free transfer deal for another young promising FB before the deadline too.

Thought brown had a good solid game yesterday, especially in the first half.