Thoughts tonight

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Not sure I can disagree with any of the OP

Cannot for the life of me understand why you play Reach centrally. It doesn’t work, never has. 

Wide left, at a push wide right or bench. 

Rhodes is shot. But that’s been obvious for the last 2 years

Make that about the last 6 years !

1 hour ago, HarryPlopper said:

On another night Wickham may have scored several.

Not our night.

And Rhodes has had three decent games on the trot, he's been exactly what people have said he isn't - a hard working striker that comes deep and puts a tackle in, holds the ball and looks for a pass to bring others in.   Not bad for a so called bog liner.

Not seen a thing to get excited about Rhodes looks lost and forlorn.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

a good honest assessment from Monk - I like him.

You were by far the better team in the first half and Murphy and Wickham caused us problems. The disappointing part is that you did not trouble our keeper enough. Although some stoic defending largely contributed to that. Bannan controlled the first half - such a tidy footballer. 

its a different game had Borner or Lees been playing - they would not give away such a stupid penalty which gave us a get out of jail card. 

I think nights like tonight also highlight the lack of squad depth available to Monk - great to see so many academy graduates on the bench but it does leave him short of options.

Either way, I’d probably settle for Monk to be in charge of the rebuild..

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

GM: I think anyone watching the game will think that’s a harsh scoreline. We looked the sharper team in the first half but didn’t make the most of that and then it’s that decision making

Yes your decision to change it at half time GM.

9 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

a good honest assessment from Monk - I like him.

You were by far the better team in the first half and Murphy and Wickham caused us problems. The disappointing part is that you did not trouble our keeper enough. Although some stoic defending largely contributed to that. Bannan controlled the first half - such a tidy footballer. 

its a different game had Borner or Lees been playing - they would not give away such a stupid penalty which gave us a get out of jail card. 

I think nights like tonight also highlight the lack of squad depth available to Monk - great to see so many academy graduates on the bench but it does leave him short of options.

Either way, I’d probably settle for Monk to be in charge of the rebuild..

Stop coming on here talking sense! Pretty much nailed it though.

Your quality came through, we are lacking that quality and composure in.key areas. Think the scoreline was harsh, shame we won't be visiting your place for a while. Good luck.in the PL.

West Brom are a good team who are going up. They have players of quality in most parts of the pitch and a strong bench. No shame losing and we competed in the first half.

We don’t have a fit natural centre back at the club. The three who started are all full backs by trade. Effectively we are down thorniley, hutchinson, borner and Lees looking at last night v start of season. As has been mentioned, our bench options are limited.

Monk is working with a very shallow pool of players.  We just need to eek this out and get enough points to survive and try and rebuild in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We just need to eek this out and get enough points to survive and try and rebuild in the summer.

This.

it's clear that Rhodes couldn't hit a barn door at one pace at the minute. There are fansl i know on here that'd do a better job.
Working better, but he's a striker. ( ? )  lets hope we keep picking up the odd point or two and all the efl crap works in our favour.

We’re in a rebuilding phase so we’re not going to be perfect all the time. 

It was a good marker to show how far we need to improve. With two more senior defenders out it was always going to be an uphill battle.

Next season’s going to be interesting. I’m hoping for a minimum of flirting just outside of playoffs - I expect this phase to take a minimum of two years. Anything higher will be fantastic.

Just not our night.

We didn't play badly and didn't deserve to lose 3-0 but the squad is too threadbare to get a result against the top teams.

Reach in the centre didn't really work but personally I would start him at LWB over Harris, especially against the better teams where we need more protection.

My biggest concern is the defense. I'm not going to throw Odabajo under the bus as much of what he did was effective but he can't be expected to perform at CB, not a good enough marker. We need at least 2 of our back 3 to be genuine CBs.

On reflection, not dismayed by last night, far from it  which is unusual after a loss.

I think we shaded the first half but tired legs told in the second. That said, we kept going.

To be fair, they are a top 2 side for a reason. Most of their subs would walk into our first 11 and with the extra rest day, were able to manage the game in the second half. 

The reason I'm not dismayed is because we played as a team (again), rather than a collection of individuals, looked comfortable with the system, everyone knew their job and based on the first half at least, a match for anyone. 

A big game on Sunday, more changes necessary due to fitness, our quality will drop  but dont want to see our heads drop. Important to maintain confidence in what we're doing. 

• Like 1

Obviously disappointed and don't think it was a 0-3 game, but they are a good side with depth eg. Livermore an England international on the bench

Compared to games like Blackburn and Brentford the main difference is that we didn't fold when going behind which has to be a major positive moving forward

It has highlighted where we need to improve though

I agree with the OP

My ratings from last night 

Wildsmith - 6. only really picked the ball out of the net, good kicking though, he's better than Dawson IMO

Odujabo - 4. It was one of his better performances but he's a liability as the OP says, get rid!

Iorda - 8. He's an absolute unit at the back, we need to be building a team around players like him, that tackle in the 2nd half... brilliant!

Palmer - 6. Can't really remember him doing much but I'll give him a 6 for a solid performance.

Murphy - 7. His pace caused WBA problems and he was hacked down more times than I can remember, he's really impressed me after a slow start.

Reach - 5. He can't play CM. I'd much rather have started Hunt. I can't really remember anything he did apart from take the ball of Wickham first half and waste a good opportunity, I'd be happy if we sold him.

Bannan - 6. Not one of his best performances and he very slow to close down the cross for their 2nd goal. I take it he's saving his performance for the live sky game on Sunday.

Luongo - 6. Solid but quiet, I do like him though and put him in the Iorfa category as a player we need to be building a side around.

Harris - 6. Standard performance, lacks quality in the final 3rd but looks dangerous when he carries the ball, he was unlucky not to score.

Wickham - 8. Another one unlucky not to score, now he's fit he looks like he's way too good to be playing for a mid-table champ team. Strong, skillful, direct, good in the air, he has everything for me and we should just make the most of him being in our squad the next 6 matches as I don't think we'll ever see him back in a SWFC shirt any time soon.

Rhodes - 6. Looks decent at coming deep and laying the ball off, not what we signed him for but we're short in attack and I'm happy to keep this strike force for the remaining games.

Subs 

Da - Cruz. 7. I like this lad, I'd definitely take the option on getting him in permanently. he's only going to get better. Quick, good feet and delivery.