Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

Almen Abdi.

On paper he was an excellent signing but the guy had zero interest in playing football when he got here and used us as one last pay day before he danced off into the sunset.

When you look at the money we spent on him in both transfer fee and wages, we could’ve bought in a top class Championship midfielder instead of that waste of a contract and that could’ve been the difference between us getting promoted or not.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vulva said:

It’s easy to pick Rhodes but at the time everyone thought he was a great signing. We needed that final push to get us over the line and he ticked every box. Rhodes falls into the hindsight part of the Venn diagram. 

Jeffers is the worst signing ever. We spent money we didn’t have, every penny of it, at the last minute in a panic, on a player who had never done much, and was usually injured. And had a bad attitude. 

Not everyone thought he was a great signing.

We already had Fletcher Forrestieri Hooper Joao Nuhiu and had just signed Winall.

Every fan likes buying players but even without hindsight he was obviously overpriced and we didn't need him. 

Lots of fans including me just shrugged and thought well if he gets us promoted maybe its worth it.

Turned out he was sh*te as well.

• Like 3

Rhodes was clearly a waste of money and was more than anything a bizarre piece of business. We had no real need for him, he didn’t fit into the way we played and his fees/ wages contributed to years and years of financial problems we still suffer from today. Crazy signing really. But to be fair he was at least available for selection and I don’t feel can really be personally blamed for the failure. 

Abdi was a total joke. For what we paid in fees and wages we could probably have sorted out hot water in the north stand bogs! FFS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bit harsh on Jonk to be fair 68/76 played in the Premier League for us, after relegation it was a total meltdown half the squad left on frees and we were in disarray. 

Not saying his attitude in his last season was acceptable but far worse signings over the years. 

9 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

£2 million for a Dutch international who played at two world cups or £10 million for a striker who barely played above the 2nd tier of English football and you pick the Dutch international as the bigger waste of money?

Sorry mate

I didn't realise it was a test

But just for comparison, and taking into account how inflated transfer fees are these days

Back then you could sign a player who had played in world cups like Yonk for 3 million, or a Petrescu for 2 million, or a Di Canio for 4 million, or a Carbone for 3 million

Paying 3 million out back then would be the equivilant of paying 50 million today, minimum

So yeah, I still think Wim Yonk was our biggest waste of money

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, vulva said:

It’s easy to pick Rhodes but at the time everyone thought he was a great signing. We needed that final push to get us over the line and he ticked every box. Rhodes falls into the hindsight part of the Venn diagram. 

Jeffers is the worst signing ever. We spent money we didn’t have, every penny of it, at the last minute in a panic, on a player who had never done much, and was usually injured. And had a bad attitude. 

I completely disagree with this to be honest.

I think everyone was blindsided when he signed as we filled all the striker positions. We simply didn't need him, and as such he totally ruined the balance of the squad. 

I also disagree with the early post that said he gave everything. I don't know what personal stuff Rhodes was going through, but I never witnessed a player that gave everything, and I don't think the numerous managers he had here did.

That's why I believe he is the biggest waste of money in our history. He hamstrung us with regards to other transfers as he cost so much, we couldn't get rid of him either and he appeared to want to take a pay cut to restart his career. His prerogative not to do that though.

Players like Jeffers and Bothroyd  were a less expensive and less lengthy disappointment , but they were terrible signings.

Abdi didn't do anything for us, and was also a player that we didn't need and seemed to affect the balance of the squad, but I can't get angry about him. I just think he had ' issues' that we will never know about, and I think the club didn't do their homework on him before signing him. 

• Like 5

I could see why we went for Rhodes . He was a goal machine until he went to Boro and we probably gambled that he wasn’t getting games or goals due to the very defensive set up of Karanka. I can also see why we went for abdi as he was a tough and technical player who was fantastic at watford. 
the one that I still can’t get past is van aken. I am no professional scout or ex player but within 5 minutes of his debut had my head in my hands. I still haven’t seen another professional centre back with such clear flaws on basic defensive footwork. I honestly think he was not scouted at all or something funny went on there. I knew we were in trouble that game as Loovens was past it and his replacement wasn’t even pub standard. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Sorry mate

I didn't realise it was a test

But just for comparison, and taking into account how inflated transfer fees are these days

Back then you could sign a player who had played in world cups like Yonk for 3 million, or a Petrescu for 2 million, or a Di Canio for 4 million, or a Carbone for 3 million

Paying 3 million out back then would be the equivilant of paying 50 million today, minimum

So yeah, I still think Wim Yonk was our biggest waste of money

Cheers Hootie - didn’t mean it to sound like that.

Rhodes takes it for me for spending £10 million on a championship striker when we already had Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Atdhe and Winnall at the club but can see your logic with Jonk