Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

What made Rhodes worse was we'd signed Sam Winnall about five days beforehand, meaning Rhodes was about the seventh striker we had on the books.

Totally needless panic signing made with essentially no consideration. A bit like McGugan, DC signed him because teenagers were excited about the idea on Twitter.

However, I agree that Abdi was an even worse investment, and Jeffers probably was too.

Jordan Rhodes and Aimen Abdi. That More or less sums up why we are in L1 right now and that is all down the reckless running of the club by DC.Francis Jeffers would be my third choice. Going further signing the likes of Mark Chamberlain, Garry Thompson and Simon Stainrod would have to be considered.

Regarding Jeffers

I remember Brian Laws saying in an interview that he didn't want him at all. It was a forced signing by the board to make them look serious of promotion given our performance the previous season. 

Laws wanted Billy Sharp, Andy Keogh or Gregorz Rasiak (think he was also monitoring a young Gary Hooper as well). 

His wages also ruined the unity that was in the camp. One of our best players left in August, another left at the end of January

In the end Laws did mention that Jeffers was starting to discover his form until Shawcross crooked him for good.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 11:29, malek said:

Cheers mate. 

I'm certain that in Croatia Reported fee was either 750k or 850k. 

Many of my beat mates support Hajduk Split, club We signed him for and were mad that they sold him for under 1m. I'm not saying that quoted fee is what he really went for (thought it was untill now). 

He was a good player before he joined us and after he left. Hard to say he wasn't looking at 4 league games he played for us before he fell out with Wilson. Usually Atkinson had good eye for player, and I don’t think that Goce is an exception. 

I thought he got injured and then we couldn't get his work permit renewed. Didn't play more than the quota required.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Was looking good until Shawcross came and snapped his ankle. 

Was he though?

Not calling you wrong, but was he actually any good before the Shawcross tackle?

I just remember him being total sh*te - personified by the Palace game.

On 27/01/2022 at 00:15, Rogers said:

Too many to mention...

In terms of money vs performance, it has to be either Rhodes or De Bilde; not sure what Jeffers was on, but I'd imagine his wages were pretty high. 

Patrick Blondeau

David Graham

Jordan Rhodes

Steve Adams

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Simon Donnelly

Phil O Donnell (RIP)

Darren Purse

Andy Sinton

Almen Abdi

Donnelly and O’Donnell were Bosman signings.

14 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Was he though?

Not calling you wrong, but was he actually any good before the Shawcross tackle?

I just remember him being total sh*te - personified by the Palace game.

I think he was getting better from what I recall, started slow but scored a very good goal against Hull. He was playing really well in that Stoke game before Shawcross finished him off.

That was it for him then. He’d had injuries prior to that point and I think that tackle was the final straw. 

Agreed that in the end he wasn’t value for money, think it was 750k at the time? Not a lot, but we were so skint at the time. 

Chris Woods.

We didn't need him. And signing him meant Pressman was relegated to the bench for three seasons.

Most of the other players in this thread you could argue we needed. Woods was a pointless buy, and we could have spent the money on another striker to complement Hirst and Bright.

5 minutes ago, Shooba said:

Chris Woods.

We didn't need him. And signing him meant Pressman was relegated to the bench for three seasons.

Most of the other players in this thread you could argue we needed. Woods was a pointless buy, and we could have spent the money on another striker to complement Hirst and Bright.

Did signing Woods, Englands no.1 improve the profile of the club though for future signings? 

signing Waddle following season, Walker the one after?

all played together at England.

Edited by Eastern

3 minutes ago, Eastern said:

Did signing Woods, Englands no.1 improve the profile of the club though for future signings? 

signing Waddle following season, Walker the one after?

all played together at England.

Good question, but I think that had more to do with agents than the signing of Woods. 

I can tell you that the worst sale was probably Nigel Pearson, he did four years at Middlesbrough after us. And we replaced him with Andy Pearce!

It's obviously Abdi to me. Played about 10 games and scored 1 goal in 3 years. No resale value, 35k a week wages. Rumoured £4m fee.

Rhodes rumoured £8m fee, 40k a week wages. We got some of that back for his loan at Norwich. He also got 18 goals and was underused by some managers. Not good at all and a massive disappointment but we could have cut our losses on him, other teams want him for some reason.

Abdi was another level of waste of money.