Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

2 minutes ago, sage owl said:

George Boyd ?

I’d just put Boyd at medium level disappointing. One of the ‘here for a last payday’ players who made almost no impact but did at least actually occasionally make it to the football pitch.
Never forget seeing him leaving the ground in his Bentley with his hair blowing in the wind without a care in the world. I think that’s when I truly realised we were just a cash machine for has-beens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

I’d just put Boyd at medium level disappointing. One of the ‘here for a last payday’ players who made almost no impact but did at least actually occasionally make it to the football pitch.
Never forget seeing him leaving the ground in his Bentley with his hair blowing in the wind without a care in the world. I think that’s when I truly realised we were just a cash machine for has-beens. 

We played Carlisle in a cup match one night when it snowed really heavily during the game. Boyd had played but still managed to drive past me on middlewood road as I walked to my car in a brand new Range Rover.

Abdi was the one who really sickened me though 4M fee and 30-40 k a week for nowt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Darren Wood deserves a mention, i might be remembering wrong but I reckon we paid about £400,000 for him in 1989. Lasted only  a short while due to injuries and was eventually released.

Yes came from Chelsea, went to plough lane one of palmers fist games and wood played really well….then hardly kicked a ball again 

• Like 1

Just now, meggoisgod said:

Wim jonk

Go on  then explain that one  played 68 out of 76 in the Prem for us , far far worse value signings over the years.

Nowhere near as bad as value as Abdi , Rhodes , Jones , Lachman , Blondeau , need i go on.

In fact I would go as far to say he wasn't even the worst value signing in the squad O'Donnell and Donnelly spring to mind.

6 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Yes came from Chelsea, went to plough lane one of palmers fist games and wood played really well….then hardly kicked a ball again 

bad back injury forced him to retire , Like Steve McCall about 30 games in 5 years but had constant injuries.

Waste of money yes but hardly their fault.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Stevie May?

Not sure what we paid for him but 7 goals in 42 games (according to wiki) is a better record than some mentioned so far

May gets a rough ride. Played in an incredibly negative team and his goals along with Nuhius were very important keeping us in the championship. Arguably that led to Chansiri buying the club so on that basis May doesn't get enough stick!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCOWl said:

Hinchcliffe not had many mentions. He would have been on big money and my only memory is he was always injured. . 

Always injured to the extent that he played nearly 100 games for us.

And I would give every penny he earned and cost us just to have someone who could take a corner as well as he did, never mind half a dozen or so every one of those games

Purely because of the impact it caused after you know what I'm going to say Di Canio, largely because of the way in which we so badly mishandled the situation and allowed an extremely valuable asset to leave for a fraction of his value. It's not just that either, it's the collateral damage of the whole affair and for me definitely a major trigger point of the ensuing downward spiral.

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

Always injured to the extent that he played nearly 100 games for us.

And I would give every penny he earned and cost us just to have someone who could take a corner as well as he did, never mind half a dozen or so every one of those games

Hinchcliffe and Jonk seem to get a lot of stick for the first season after relegation when they were "injured" , given the fact we bailed just about everyone else out the door ive always suspected there is far more to the story than let on.

15 hours ago, Rogers said:

Too many to mention...

In terms of money vs performance, it has to be either Rhodes or De Bilde; not sure what Jeffers was on, but I'd imagine his wages were pretty high. 

Patrick Blondeau

David Graham

Jordan Rhodes

Steve Adams

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Simon Donnelly

Phil O Donnell (RIP)

Darren Purse

Andy Sinton

Almen Abdi

I wouldn't include Steve Adams, he was just unlucky with injuries, he cost next to nothing and won't have been on big money. 

Out of that list I would say Blondeau or De Bilde. 

I would add to them....

Stevie May, tried hard but just wasn't good enough for Championship. 

Can't remember his name but the midfielder we signed from Rangers about 7 or 8 years ago who was useless. 

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I wouldn't include Steve Adams, he was just unlucky with injuries, he cost next to nothing and won't have been on big money. 

Out of that list I would say Blondeau or De Bilde. 

I would add to them....

Stevie May, tried hard but just wasn't good enough for Championship. 

Can't remember his name but the midfielder we signed from Rangers about 7 or 8 years ago who was useless. 

Wouldn't agree regarding Stevie May.

Played only one full season with us and scored 9 league goals that admitably is not great, but We played very defensive football at the time and didn't score much. Also it is worth noting that most of his 9 goals won us games and helped us survive that season. also, Preston gave us back what we paid for him.

• Like 1