Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

6 hours ago, Rogers said:

Too many to mention...

In terms of money vs performance, it has to be either Rhodes or De Bilde; not sure what Jeffers was on, but I'd imagine his wages were pretty high. 

Patrick Blondeau

David Graham

Jordan Rhodes

Steve Adams

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Simon Donnelly

Phil O Donnell (RIP)

Darren Purse

Andy Sinton

Almen Abdi

Purse?

We were a bad side but I recall a stat showing that without him we conceded 2 goals a game and with him 1 goal a game.

58 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s easy to pick Rhodes but at the time everyone thought he was a great signing. We needed that final push to get us over the line and he ticked every box. Rhodes falls into the hindsight part of the Venn diagram. 

Jeffers is the worst signing ever. We spent money we didn’t have, every penny of it, at the last minute in a panic, on a player who had never done much, and was usually injured. And had a bad attitude. 

Including wages, Rhodes cost us £17.5m+ for 18 goals across 4 years. It sent us miles over FFP. 

Jeffers whilst it was a complete failure and the £900k is relative to our situation at the time is another good shout (5 goals) but the sheer cost of Rhodes was eye watering compared to return

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heppers said:

Purse?

We were a bad side but I recall a stat showing that without him we conceded 2 goals a game and with him 1 goal a game.

Purse wasn’t as bad as some made him out to be. He made the cardinal sin in some fans eyes of starting not so great in his Wednesday career. From the new year onwards he was pretty consistent in his performances and one of our better players.

• Like 2

De Bilde, Jonk and Rhodes are high up but nobody wee wees me off more than Francis Jeffers. We didn’t have a pot to ******** in and we spent everything we had on him. He was appalling! I’ve just watched a few of the season reviews from when he was around and he was outright crap. A total waste of money!

Edited by Owlabroad2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Abdi also upset the squad balance due to his wage (not excusing the way Forestieri behaved). 

Rhodes was crazy when you consider we had done some good business getting Winnall in earlier in the window. Whatever happened to him…

Its the players that clearly had ability but couldn’t give a f**k which should top the list. Abdi, Jonk and De Bilde for me.  

Players like Rhodes and Sibon tried it just didn’t work out. Loved Sibon in the championship but he was bought in to get premier league goals along with the Belgian b***end