Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

6 hours ago, owl84 said:

Got to give a shout to Goce Sedloski. Signed for around £2m in Dec 1997. Played 4 games across 2.5 seasons. Potentially the start of the rot. 

Thank you, I've spent last 10 minutes trying to think of his name, I think Big Ron signed him as well, unusual one because Ron didn't usually sign bad players. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl84 said:

Got to give a shout to Goce Sedloski. Signed for around £2m in Dec 1997. Played 4 games across 2.5 seasons. Potentially the start of the rot. 

We paid 750k or 850k for Sedloski and he was good player it is just that Wilson froze him out as soon as he took over. 

After leaving us he captained excellent Dinamo Zagreb side and even scored almost 20 goals one season. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MartinOwlMan said:

Sibon

I know people will disagree with that, and I know why...

...but without the millstone of his wage bill our fall from the Premier League would not have been weighed down so badly

I can understand what you mean, but he pretty much single-handedly kept us up the first season in the championship and his goals kept us up the season after. I dont think its coincidence that when he was sold by Turner to Heerenveen the season after, we went down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

Go on  then explain that one  played 68 out of 76 in the Prem for us , far far worse value signings over the years.

Nowhere near as bad as value as Abdi , Rhodes , Jones , Lachman , Blondeau , need i go on.

In fact I would go as far to say he wasn't even the worst value signing in the squad O'Donnell and Donnelly spring to mind.

A full season feigning injury

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I wouldn't include Steve Adams, he was just unlucky with injuries, he cost next to nothing and won't have been on big money. 

Out of that list I would say Blondeau or De Bilde. 

I would add to them....

Stevie May, tried hard but just wasn't good enough for Championship. 

Can't remember his name but the midfielder we signed from Rangers about 7 or 8 years ago who was useless. 

Rhys McCabe?

• Thanks 1

I don't think Hinchcliffe was feigning injury. His knees had swollen up so much by those last few appearances he seemed like some relation to Joseph Merrick. He had various unsuccessful surgeries and then retired. It wasn't like Abdi was who fit as a fiddle but just didn't fancy playing any more.

8 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Rhodes for transfer fee, Abdi for effort , both smashed out of the ball park by Jay Slothroyd (I know he was only a loan signing ) the worst signing I have seen in 47 years of following the Owls.

Total agreement. Horrendous. And taking up a place in the team. At least abdi and Rhodes got injured... 

53 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What player Wim Yonk was though when he put a shift in

I know chap such a shame - I wonder what actually went off behind the scenes... He just took the p*** and let his contract run down as I remember... played one last game right at the end and looked sublime as usual. 

Abdi for me. Complete waster that stole a wage as well as a pad of Doctors blank sick notes.

"I can't come in for training today. I''ve got hiccups/night terrors/boil on backside/burnt tongue on a hot slice of Dominos pizza etc etc" 🙄

Utter, utter oxygen thief. What made it worse was he looked like a world beater at Watford.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Always injured to the extent that he played nearly 100 games for us.

And I would give every penny he earned and cost us just to have someone who could take a corner as well as he did, never mind half a dozen or so every one of those games

Did he play that many? Amazed at that, can only remember him being out injured! Seem to remember him getting a booed off after breaking down yet again within 20 mins of coming back. 

38 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

Did he play that many? Amazed at that, can only remember him being out injured! Seem to remember him getting a booed off after breaking down yet again within 20 mins of coming back. 

Yes I remember that, his last ever appearance for us I think. 

1 hour ago, Prendo's boots said:

I know chap such a shame - I wonder what actually went off behind the scenes... He just took the p*** and let his contract run down as I remember... played one last game right at the end and looked sublime as usual. 

As always we never know the whole story, i find it odd if he wasnt injured why we didnt get him out on loan, Rudi went then allowed a free transfer, De Bilde went on loan to Villa no transfer so went on a free, Booth went to Spurs about the same time too. 

From a financial point of view even if we got 10 per cent of his wages covered it was better than nothing.