Who - for you - is/was our biggest "waste-of-money" signing ever?

27 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Yes I remember that, his last ever appearance for us I think. 

Think so. 

He was Co-commentator for a Sheff utd game on sky and main commentator said it could be an interesting atmosphere for them given he was in the commentary box with a Wednesday legend! 

21 hours ago, Rogers said:

Too many to mention...

In terms of money vs performance, it has to be either Rhodes or De Bilde; not sure what Jeffers was on, but I'd imagine his wages were pretty high. 

Patrick Blondeau

David Graham

Jordan Rhodes

Steve Adams

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Simon Donnelly

Phil O Donnell (RIP)

Darren Purse

Andy Sinton

Almen Abdi

Oxygen stealing 11

5 hours ago, malek said:

We paid 750k or 850k for Sedloski and he was good player it is just that Wilson froze him out as soon as he took over. 

After leaving us he captained excellent Dinamo Zagreb side and even scored almost 20 goals one season. 

All reports from around that time say £1.75m. 

It was a awful signing for Wednesday regardless of what he did elsewhere. Abdi was a good player before Wednesday. 

5 hours ago, malek said:

We paid 750k or 850k for Sedloski and he was good player it is just that Wilson froze him out as soon as he took over. 

After leaving us he captained excellent Dinamo Zagreb side and even scored almost 20 goals one season. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-sedloski-arrives-at-hillsborough-1289315.html%3famp

alexandersson for £750k might have been one of our best signings. 

• Like 2

Abdi.

That signing really did us. Looked a worldie at the time. Boy did we waste some good money there.

However the list is endless, we seem to be one club that has wasted money over the years. 

We are also terrible at selling players at the right time.

Edited by Maddogbob

17 hours ago, Howards back said:

1067 from 23 games don’t look too bad until you see it was over 3 years 

Until you break it down and realise that 1067 minutes is only 11.8 games - so nearly 12 games in that time

Meaning he cost us roughly £333,000 per game

11 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Abdi.

That signing really did us. Looked a worldie at the time. Boy did we waste some good money there.

However the list is endless, we seem to be one club that has wasted money over the years. 

We are also terrible at selling players at the right time.

Had Chansiri’s pants down; if there was an event or reason for Chansiri to think this is just BS, let’s sell, this was it 

• Like 1

There have been plenty of crocks and expensive overpaid poo both in wages and/or fees (special mentions to De Bilde, Hinchcliffe, Sinton, Jeffers, Abdi) but it’s Rhodes by a country mile for me and it’s not even close.

Our highest ever transfer fee, no resale value, a monster wage throughout his contract, little return, he had the heart of a mouse, and he wasn’t even good enough to get a game for a Scotland team who were rank pish at the time. Terrible signing.

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

There have been plenty of crocks and expensive overpaid poo both in wages and/or fees (special mentions to De Bilde, Hinchcliffe, Sinton, Jeffers, Abdi) but it’s Rhodes by a country mile for me and it’s not even close.

Our highest ever transfer fee, no resale value, a monster wage throughout his contract, little return, he had the heart of a mouse, and he wasn’t even good enough to get a game for a Scotland team who were rank pish at the time. Terrible signing.

Yep .

I really can’t see any argument for it not being Rhodes 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2022 at 23:41, Nero said:

Not everyone thought he was a great signing.

We already had Fletcher Forrestieri Hooper Joao Nuhiu and had just signed Winall.

Every fan likes buying players but even without hindsight he was obviously overpriced and we didn't need him. 

Lots of fans including me just shrugged and thought well if he gets us promoted maybe its worth it.

Turned out he was sh*te as well.

Yep, add to that alot of us saw that his form dropped off a cliff at Boro, he was abysmal for them and we should've seen it coming.

12 hours ago, owl84 said:

Cheers mate. 

I'm certain that in Croatia Reported fee was either 750k or 850k. 

Many of my beat mates support Hajduk Split, club We signed him for and were mad that they sold him for under 1m. I'm not saying that quoted fee is what he really went for (thought it was untill now). 

He was a good player before he joined us and after he left. Hard to say he wasn't looking at 4 league games he played for us before he fell out with Wilson. Usually Atkinson had good eye for player, and I don’t think that Goce is an exception. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 12:29, malek said:

Cheers mate. 

I'm certain that in Croatia Reported fee was either 750k or 850k. 

Many of my beat mates support Hajduk Split, club We signed him for and were mad that they sold him for under 1m. I'm not saying that quoted fee is what he really went for (thought it was untill now). 

He was a good player before he joined us and after he left. Hard to say he wasn't looking at 4 league games he played for us before he fell out with Wilson. Usually Atkinson had good eye for player, and I don’t think that Goce is an exception. 

Fair points I can’t remember him playing for us. Seemed very unusual at the time. Any idea what the fall out was about? 

On 28/01/2022 at 10:50, edinburghowl said:

And bottled taking a penalty in the play off semi. If we'd won that semi and then won at Wembley, that loss would have been swallowed up and ffp wouldn't have been an issue. Got to be Rhodes for me. 

• Like 2

Take your pick from the absolute utter madness that went off between July 2016 to August 2018 

Rhodes £8m

Abdi £4m

JVA £4m

Reach £5m

Jones £2m

£23m plus millions in wages wasted on a pile of absolute garbage 

To answer the OPs question the biggest waste in our history is Jordan Rhodes 

• Like 1

Rhodes without a doubt. I actually liked the bloke and he worked hard, but didn’t work out for him here. Around £10m wasn’t it? We didn’t even need him at the time. Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Winnall, Nuhiu, Hirst all on the books. Vanity signing that put us in deep deep trouble with the EFL. If we were going to spend that type of money we should have gone for a defender and an extra wide man. 

Honourable mentions to Abdi, Van Aken, David Jones who all cost a couple of million each or more.  

Horrific business and a huge reason why we are where we are. 

19 minutes ago, Django said:

Take your pick from the absolute utter madness that went off between July 2016 to August 2018 

Rhodes £8m

Abdi £4m

JVA £4m

Reach £5m

Jones £2m

£23m plus millions in wages wasted on a pile of absolute garbage 

To answer the OPs question the biggest waste in our history is Jordan Rhodes 

I think Reach was good value for money to be fair.

Was never injured, played virtually every game and, despite what some said on here, was a pretty dependable and solid performer who scored some cracking goals for us. 

Think he had downed tools that last season though during Covid. Knew he wasn’t getting a new deal, wasn’t getting paid on time and had no crowd on his back to get him going during games. He wasn’t the only one mind. 

• Haha 1