Shaw & Urhogide

When they're young and playing well, way to many players jump ship to try and rush success. Now, both of them have stunted their development. 

Not saying I blame them, in any other line of work if you were offered more money to work for more prestigious club you'd take it. 

Ideally with players like this we need to do better in the future to develop players for our first team, or just make a sale. Sell and loan back options are fairly common these days and often seem as a win win for both parties. It's just a shame we let their contracts run down. 

• Like 2

Timing is everything.

Expecting them both to walk straight into the first team picture at Celtic always looked an odd move to me and I'm still not sure why that was the expectation. Under normal circumstances these are exactly the type of low risk development signings the big clubs make all the time - young kids on free's/nominal fee's, to see how they develop through the odd minutes or loan spells. 

They've walked into a pressure cooker. They already let 10 In A Row slip and Brendan Rodgers successful teams have been decimated in a really short space of time. This years SPL winner also gets automatic qualification to the group stages of the CL. Celtic need to win the title this year and they need every single signing this summer to work out immediately, including these two. I still don't think they can be blamed for taking the move, but I think they've got more than they bargained for..

• Like 1

We couldn’t see the turnaround at Wednesday  in just a couple of months it’s been nothing short of miraculous so you can’t blame those lads for not seeing it

Thing is… What you have now would have been the perfect environment for them to grow. The chance of a few games , involvement with a hungry squad under a very good manager

I don’t necessarily think they were badly advised as it looked like the club was dying but now with the benefit of hindsight it looks a terrible decision

Still… I guess it’s early days for them and Wednesday 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

We couldn’t see the turnaround at Wednesday  in just a couple of months it’s been nothing short of miraculous so you can’t blame those lads for not seeing it

Thing is… What you have now would have been the perfect environment for them to grow. The chance of a few games , involvement with a hungry squad under a very good manager

I don’t necessarily think they were badly advised as it looked like the club was dying but now with the benefit of hindsight it looks a terrible decision

I suspect that the advice these young lads got from their agents was.... Celtic are a big name, they sell players to the premier League.....oh and they pay more (so I get a bigger wedge)....sign here

• Like 1

It possibly says quite a bit about us as fans though doesn’t it.

Hirst, Shaw and Urgohide, were all going to be world beaters, along with the kid that went to Bolton. And while it’s very very early days as said, I don’t think any of the trio would be near the first team at the moment. And that’s in a league below.

Plenty of time for the two Celtic lads to develop. Not sure about young George, he just looks lost at the moment.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

This 100% 

I think if the lads had know that Moore would make so many astute and positive signings, they would have stayed. This would be the ideal environment for them. When they left it was a no brainer for me, it was the obvious thing to do. It looked like Bannan and Windass would be going, and that we were in free fall.

A few months later and we have , what, 13 new signings? . both lads would probably be starters in an exciting new project .

As it is, they have the money and the ' big club' , but if they can't get into that team now, it really isn't looking good for them.

It's a totally different situation to George Hirst, who now looks his career will be nothing more than scrapping around league 1 and 2 , desperately looking for a run of games and a goal scoring streak. The way he was seemingly manipulated into signing for Leicester's feeder club by his dad and ' uncle Nigel' was pretty unsavoury.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Basement Jack said:

Hard not to agree with this. The picture was bleak 2 months ago, I think fans and players alike saw that. Not many could have predicted the way things have turned.

• Like 1

At the time it was an easy decision as we were a sinking ship. I think if it was now then DM would have had much more influence in helping them stay.

I for one couldn’t see us being in such a sensible state so quickly from the point they left.

still wish them well. May see them back here one day if it doesn’t work out… stranger things have happened (the mentalness vanishing overnight as an example)

• Like 1

I’m slightly surprised people are still following these two in such detail. In all of the excitement of this year I’d pretty much forgotten about them to be honest. I still hope things turn out well for them. Both seemed like good lads to me and I would never wish our ex players anything other than good fortune. 
Do agree that we now have better players and if they had stayed they might have struggled to make the first team. I guess this means the move was a good idea for them as at least they are making some decent money!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m slightly surprised people are still following these two in such detail

Not sure that's the case necessarily. People follow the Old Firm quite closely and there's just been a game this weekend. With not just one but two of our former players recently signed by one of the two, I think it's natural this thread will keep popping back up. 

Get the impression there's just as much interest in Celtic being sh*t as there is Shaw and Urhogide.. 

• Like 1

Can see shaw ending up back here when his contract runs out 

probably have a few loans back to championship before that 

uroghide will end up abroad 

Shame really because they both could have part of this rebuild and look to establish themselves as first team players 

that said I can’t see who drops out of squad for either of them after this years recruitment 

I honestly don’t think there’s animosity towards them, and people understand why they made the choices they did. But people talk about ex players. And use owlstalk analogy, about ex’s, there’s always  that bit of smugness when an ex ends up in a poo relationship if you are honest. 

Everyone wants to say “ well we did warn you “

• Like 1