Shaw & Urhogide

Can’t blame them for leaving as the club was in complete disarray at the time and Celtic are always gonna be a massive draw for any player at this level. 

We’ve done some excellent business this summer and Hillsborough seems a much happier place to be — we’ve moved on and so have they, best of luck to them

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Darren Moore said it. He saw them train every day and wanted to keep them.

Disagree with him if you wish.

He didn’t actually state what their magnitude is tbf, it sounds like he’s giving praise but he’s not actually stating anything. It’s great diplomacy.

I think you have to take what managers say with a pinch of salt. I mean he also said that youth would be given a platform to thrive this season. Then he went and signed 12-13 players and reportedly wants more. 

I’m not sure either would be commanding a first team spot here this year. So maybe the move was best for all parties.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Can’t blame them for leaving as the club was in complete disarray at the time and Celtic are always gonna be a massive draw for any player at this level. 

We’ve done some excellent business this summer and Hillsborough seems a much happier place to be — we’ve moved on and so have they, best of luck to them

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why would he do that? Would be quite rude and they’re professionals, they can easily run into each other again in future. Better to not burn bridges.

I think you misunderstand.

You asked for an example of a manager saying a player is rubbish and didn't care he left on a low fee.

My point was the manager is better off not saying anything in that situation as that says more than slating them would.

39 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Moore thought they were decent players who he would have liked to have kept hold of.

I don't think he thought they were the second coming of Maldini and Zidane.

Such a daft argument.

Who’s saying that?

I’m just stating the manager wanted to keep them and went on record praising them as footballers. Didn’t need to do that really.

But the usual suspects on here will say ‘they were crap anyway’

Just pointing out that Darren Moore disagrees with those people 

26 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I think you misunderstand.

You asked for an example of a manager saying a player is rubbish and didn't care he left on a low fee.

My point was the manager is better off not saying anything in that situation as that says more than slating them would.

Yes I understand what you say, I am saying it’s not in Moore’s interest to say do anything negative on Moore’s part, whether stay silent as though he doesn’t care or say “well they would only be squad players anyway and shaws got quite a few mistakes in him” he’s just not going to do anything that can be construed as being negative 

1 hour ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Didn't he say that Megson couldn't trap a bag of cement?

Yes he did, also at a dinner at which I was present he was asked who his best and worst signings were and in front of 500 people said for the worst:

"Fashanu, I could strangle the barsteward!"

This was in 1982!

Personally for me, Shaw was still raw in parts of his game and needed a full season playing at top end league one/lower champ level to iron our some of the creases in his game. His confidence on the ball was great, yet his decison making was at times down right awful.  What he did show us though, is that we needed a box to box midfielder. Whilst he had shown there was something to work with, it remains to be seen if he makes it to the very top.

Uroghede was hard working and confident, yet very raw and predictable on the ball. had a lovely habit of losing his man at time and manhandling in the box too. Maybe not as natuarally talented as shaw, but could carve out a decent career too.

dont think either are really going to set the world alight and play at the very top personally, but hope they do have great careers all the same

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Yeah, I think I will.

Yeah, I think I will as well, they will both struggle in the future and probably finish up back in England and the best they can hope for will be League 2.

Sorry for disagreeing with you Darren although I'm aware you were just being polite and If you had wanted them to stay you'd have tried harder.

For them, leaving for Celtic was a no brainer really. Any player of ours would go there, never mind just kids. 

Oh…..on the Moore view of them both. Just look back to how often they played under him and there is your answer. 

Edited by SWFCLee

20 minutes ago, SWFCLee said:

For them, leaving for Celtic was a no brainer really. Any player of ours would go there, never mind just kids. 

Oh…..on the Moore view of them both. Just look back to how often they played under him and there is your answer. 

Urhoghide played quite a bit.