GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

9 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

You and i both know that a Charlton or Wilkinson would have got this group of players and even the "troublemakers" playing a damn sight better than Monk has managed to. Why because they were both leaders who commanded respect and were WINNERS.

The only manager to have the freedom to build a team after those two was Carlos..he shot for the moon without regard for the future.

We're close to cycling out the overpaid underachievers.. give the man a chance.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

With Chansiri staying on I’d keep Monk in charge as we need some stability, particularly after last summer’s fiasco and the quick turnaround before the next season starting.  At least it sounds like Monk will oversee young players being brought in which is the correct approach.

A bit like under Chris Turner, if it doesn’t work out we can easily replace the manager.  But bringing in the right young players is the most important thing 

Agree with this I think the recruitment over the next 6 weeks or so is the key thing. We need to have learnt lessons and go for younger players with potential and resale value. Not get lumbered with older players  we can’t shift for 3 years. 

If we start next season off badly then Monk can be replaced. The good news is his recruitment of players hasn’t been too bad in the past.  

I still hope for a shock takeover, but the chances of that are unlikely to put it mildly 

Just now, full fathom five said:

I totally understand the massive task in hand and have been lucky enough to witness such hard working Wednesday teams with no prima donnas under Charlton and Wilkinson. I hope one day to see such a Wednesday team again.

if you were here when big jack was then you saw 18 months  of the most negative dross and crap results  while he built his team .......no one was calling for jack to be sacked coz it was plain to see things needed changing .......its bleeding obvious that the squad monk inherited needs a complete overall and he as to do it on a limited budget  so why not give him the time that charlton had . 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agree with this I think the recruitment over the next 6 weeks or so is the key thing. We need to have learnt lessons and go for younger players with potential and resale value. Not get lumbered with older players  we can’t shift for 3 years. 

If we start next season off badly then Monk can be replaced. The good news is his recruitment of players hasn’t been too bad in the past.  

I still hope for a shock takeover, but the chances of that are unlikely to put it mildly 

Obviously the quality of player we will attract will depend on what league we are in. An announcement surely needs to happen soon so we can get planning for next season otherwise we will already be at a disadvantage. Let’s act quickly in the transfer window and give the players plus new signings a full preseason. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Just now, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Beat me too it. It was ugly stuff and we slogged our way to14th place in the old third division in his second season.

He was however given time to clear up the trash and prepare a sound base.

good to know  that someone else has the same view .......

7 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

I've already read the whole thread and apart from doubles over Man Utd and Arsenal he has achieved NOTHING !

And the doubles were with the side he inherited from Luadrup at Swansea.  Since then every club has sacked him pronto ! apart from us.

Leeds didn't sack him. Not surprising considering he took them to their highest placed finish in donkeys years.

And Moyes did f all with side he inherited from Ferguson, shocking Manager. Guardiola only succeeded at City with the team he inherited from Pellgrini. Hang 'im.

Next.

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Birmingham's last sniff of the play-offs was when he was in charge. To anyone not pre-determined to deny everything, these would be seen as creditable achievements. 

Sorry to be pedantic DJ but Birmingham weren't anywhere near the play offs. They finished 17th and even if they hadn't had the 9 points deducted they would only have finished 14th and 14 points off a play off place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know Trev. He falls out with people, goes on terrible runs, and spunked 50 million of Gibson’s money at Borough. I will forgive him the last one.

The one thing that did surprise me was how bad his record at Swansea was.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Sorry to be pedantic DJ but Birmingham weren't anywhere near the play offs. They finished 17th and even if they hadn't had the 9 points deducted they would only have finished 14th and 14 points off a play off place.

Fair enough. Looks like I'd conflated two different periods in my memory.

Edited by DJMortimer

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

The one thing that did surprise me was how bad his record at Swansea was.

'Bad'?

He helped Swansea stay in the Premier League for two seasons; averaging 1.31 points per game overall. What kind of record should a manager at a club like that have at that level? He's done a damn sight better up there than Mick McCarthy that half the site clamours for every 6-12 months.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, smhouston said:

Was you thinking that when he appointed Bruce as the manager?

What about when he appointed a manager who got us in to the playoffs for the first time in decades (more especially the first season)?

No not at all,thought Bruce was a good choice and Carlos best manager in last 20 years....Id have either back 2morrow.....Why are you trying to twist my words???its Monk whi i dont rate along with Jos.Why,you obviously rate them both then??....

UTO

• Like 1