GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

the actual understanding that ramming half a dozen into the opposition goal without reply is better than winning 1-0 and passing it square and back half the time.

it's like would you rather see the dressage at the showjumping, or a mike tyson fight.

Thanks for the clarification

Now everyone who's read your reply 'knows' football

Ta

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Depends on how you define attractive, seems you have lower standards than others.

I would say that away victories are good day out. 

lower standards in relation to what?, not accepting passing for the sake of it, whilst failing to attack the opposition at each and every opportunity.

On 16/07/2020 at 23:21, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Sorry to be pedantic DJ but Birmingham weren't anywhere near the play offs. They finished 17th and even if they hadn't had the 9 points deducted they would only have finished 14th and 14 points off a play off place.

From what I remember they were well up the the table with a chance of the play offs . They then got the points deduction and their form fell away because the deduction killed their season.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
40 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

monk haters, you'd all a dagger in your hand when he was appointed, you must hate wednesday winning as you can't twist it.

We hardly ever win tho..that’s the problem

On 16/07/2020 at 17:46, hirstyboywonder said:

Progress? 7 points from 6 games is still just about relegation form.

As I said in another thread yesterday, after 23 games of the season we were 20 points clear of the bottom 3. The fact that 21 games later we are now only 11 points clear of the bottom 3 is a reflection on the performance of the team and the manager. That's not progress.

The EFL case has been brought as a result of the way the club has been run off the field but the fact is we should not be in a position where a significant points deduction could see us relegated. All we needed to do to avoid that was to match the form of the worst 3 teams in the division over half the season.

YES it is,but given Monk had us in the top 3 before Xmas,dealing with very challenging (inherited) circumstances,why feel he cant turn this around?...with 2 games to go,IF we harvest enough points to withstand any  points deduction,it will be under Monks Leadership...THAT sadly is what are 'achievements' have come to....

• Thanks 1

Just now, dorian gray said:

who would with coco's unbalanced squad?

even coco ran from it in the end.

You mean the squad that got us to 3rd at Xmas!

What we from promotion chasing form in first half of the season to cut adrift at the bottom form in 2nd half of the season!

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 12:34, jonnyowl said:

I'll add to this!

17 points out of 63 - 28 sees us in playoffs not a lot to ask.

First half of the season 3rd, second half 23rd! - but some say give him another 6 months!

1 win at home since December 22nd - a last minute winner against Charlton!

18 goals at home all season - lowest in the division.

2 in the first half under monk!

SO is Monk coaching Players to play allegedly 'sh**e? ..OR is there something else that he has inherited?..I know which of the two options I think...Who,or what,is responsible for the dismal performances we have all had to endure from this squad of players?  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

You mean the squad that got us to 3rd at Xmas!

What we from promotion chasing form in first half of the season to cut adrift at the bottom form in 2nd half of the season!

YES! you're correct, proper management and just a few additions had us so far up the table with such an unbalanced squad with an appalling choice in forwards.

as soon as the only one we'd got was injured, the bottom fell out, but it does bode well for next term that monk could do so much with so little.

not sure about the part i've highlighted, as it seems not to make much sense.

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

SO is Monk coaching Players to play allegedly 'sh**e? ..OR is there something else that he has inherited?..I know which of the two options I think...Who,or what,is responsible for the dismal performances we have all had to endure from this squad of players?  

He's not intentionally coaching the players to be Sh**e!

You mean the squad of players that got us to 3rd at the half way stage of the season!

Mediocre mid table form in the second half of the season and we would have got into the playoffs! Should have easily done it with the squad he's had avaliable for the majority of the season!

Edited by jonnyowl

7 minutes ago, parajack said:

YES it is,but given Monk had us in the top 3 before Xmas,dealing with very challenging (inherited) circumstances,why feel he cant turn this around?...with 2 games to go,IF we harvest enough points to withstand any  points deduction,it will be under Monks Leadership...THAT sadly is what are 'achievements' have come to....

'Achieving' less points than all but one club in the division over half a season is not good enough in my opinion, other clubs also have challenging circumstances and small/average squads to work with. Would you swap our squad with Wigan, Reading for example? 

Yes the first half of the season was good and Monk rightly earned praise for that but it is a worrying trend in his managerial career that he starts well but tails off relatively quickly without achieving much.

Just now, jonnyowl said:

He's not intentionally coaching the players to be Sh**e!

You mean the squad of players that got us to 3rd at the half way stage of the season!

Mediocre mid table form in the second half of the season and we would have got into the playoffs! Should have easily done it with this squad!

we lost the only forward of any note in the entire squad....................................and then fell away, see the link?

Surely if the same players who got 3rd, suddenly drop to 17th a few months later - then there has got to be issues around tactics? 

Are you seriously telling me these players just downtooled for no reason? 

And if they’ve got a history of down tooling , then why would have they bothered achieving 3rd place in the first place? 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

'Achieving' less points than all but one club in the division over half a season is not good enough in my opinion, other clubs also have challenging circumstances and small/average squads to work with. Would you swap our squad with Wigan, Reading for example? 

Yes the first half of the season was good and Monk rightly earned praise for that but it is a worrying trend in his managerial career that he starts well but tails off relatively quickly without achieving much.

time will tell, as it's very highly likely he'll be here next term, much to the annoyance of the backstabbers.

4 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

YES! you're correct, proper management and just a few additions had us so far up the table with such an unbalanced squad with an appalling choice in forwards.

as soon as the only one we'd got was injured, the bottom fell out, but it does bode well for next term that monk could do so much with so little.

not sure about the part i've highlighted, as it seems not to make much sense.

It doesn't bode well that Monk's approach fell apart with the loss of one player. Even Jos managed to get results without Fletcher playing all the time and arguably had less to work with given that Murphy, Iorfa, Borner, Harris are all regulars and have done reasonably well.