GARRY MONK - All posts about Garry Monk in here please

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I doubt calling Neil Thompson away from coaching the youth team would be enough to replace the combined experience of Agnew and Clemence.

It seems that Monk wanted to add his own coaching staff but wasn't able to due to Chansiri being unable / unwilling to come to some kind of agreement with Birmingham's owners. Hopefully that situation can be sorted during the close season.

Monk no doubt wants to add to the coaching staff - he's said as much already. But if it were that crucial to his success here, he'd have done it already with some other coach that either wasn't under contract somewhere or was otherwise easily obtainable.

It seems as though he's prepared to wait though which should tell you just how mission-critical Monk sees bringing in someone he's worked with before; ideal, but not crucial.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Monk no doubt wants to add to the coaching staff - he's said as much already. But if it were that crucial to his success here, he'd have done it already with some other coach that either wasn't under contract somewhere or was otherwise easily obtainable.

It seems as though he's prepared to wait though which should tell you just how mission-critical Monk sees bringing in someone he's worked with before; ideal, but not crucial.

It seems he wants Beattie in particular rather than inviting a different coach who he perhaps doesn't rate as much.

For whatever reason, our chairman hasn't been able to agree for Birmingham to release him, which is unfortunate.

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

You're assuming he's allowed to or there's not a plan in place to do so this summer as part of the (r)evolution.

Why did the club take so long to appoint someone in the first place after Bruce's sudden departure? It's only conjecture, but I still wonder if finance was the biggest issue. It seems we are once more perilously close to the three year rolling limit for P&S (pending any amendments to be made following the pandemic which obviously were not factored in back then). Is it possible that one of the conditions for getting the job was sticking with the coaching staff already in place and accepting no permanent transfers would be possible and that some candidates were put off by this?

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It seems he wants Beattie in particular rather than inviting a different coach who he perhaps doesn't rate as much.

For whatever reason, our chairman hasn't been able to agree for Birmingham to release him, which is unfortunate.

Now Clotet has gone he may well be free to leave.

58 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Everyone wants that but it's imperative to identify the right man then give them time to build. It's a waste of time otherwise.

You can identify who you like but that doesn't mean they want the job. Monk's what we could get, so we got him.

If you give the name of who you think we should employ and who would take the job on, I suspect there will be plenty who disagree with your choice.

On 15/07/2020 at 12:46, Chris Apolon said:

We are a mid table team, with mid table players and are sitting in mid table.

We are consistently inconsistent in performances and results since the start of the season and like many mid table teams go through long periods of peaks and troughs.

I'm not sure what any other well reknowned manager would have done given our current predicament on and off the pitch but I'm supporting Monk as I believe we are roughly where we would end up this season.

He can't be judged on solely on a season which is in such turmoil with players that were ageing, coming to the end of the contracts, no money to spend and the EFL case.

So yeah I'm a Monk supporter and will only change my perspective on him when he has brought in his own personnel to be judged objectively

THIS!

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is the thing with Anti-Monkers

They're STUCK on this little period of form between Christmas and the recent break

lol

They've got NOTHING else

NOTHING

(apart from talking about 'Westy' and 'Hutch' of course)

Worse record then Jos,absolutely terrible since xmas,hasnt got a clue,tactics wise/identity,not convinced one bit and you Monkers need to look at his track record,sorry nothing against the bloke personally but he's gash.....

Thing is we are stuck with him as DC aint got a clue either....

UTO

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You're assuming he's allowed to or there's not a plan in place to do so this summer as part of the (r)evolution.

Why did the club take so long to appoint someone in the first place after Bruce's sudden departure? It's only conjecture, but I still wonder if finance was the biggest issue. It seems we are once more perilously close to the three year rolling limit for P&S (pending any amendments to be made following the pandemic which obviously were not factored in back then). Is it possible that one of the conditions for getting the job was sticking with the coaching staff already in place and accepting no permanent transfers would be possible and that some candidates were put off by this?

I'm assuming he's allowed, but I'm not assuming anything in relation to a plan to bring a coach in the future. It may be the case, but my point was merely a counter to the emphasis that many have put on Monk having not been able to bring in his own choice of coaching staff.

As to why it took us so long after Bruce's departure - it was strange. Chansiri not being in the country so often seemed to play a role, but he seems to have made the time in the past. Still, money's obviously tight; it would always have been convenient for Chansiri if Bullen could've made bringing someone else in unnecessary. And money being tight would also play a role in how much money is available for coaching staff.

2 hours ago, Miffed said:

But Jos was at least given a fair crack at it before he was judged.

Monk hasnt been able to bring in his own staff

Hasnt been afforded a full pre season
Hasnt been allowed to bring in any permanent transfers of his own

Well to me that says everything,DC has no trust in him??maybe??..A stop gap??..So DC back him or get rid.....and stop pi   ss   ing around.....

Or is DC waiting for EFL hearing to decide,div 1 keep Monk back him??

OR    Championship is he going to replace.....

Who knows???.hurts my brain,the wonderful world of DC....

UTO

49 minutes ago, boomshaketheroom said:

Not a fan of monk, also got nothing against him. Anyone could be incharge now and I wouldn't care.

The rot at this club goes far deeper than the manager, simpletons can argue all day about substitutions, tactics etc but they fail to see the bigger picture. We are being led into oblivion.

If you think sacking the manager will fix swfc in the long term, you're wrong.

Taking sides for or against a manager side steps the issues we face as a club.

I have never felt more disillusioned with my club in 34 years, for the last 2 years I have barely followed us, preferring to watch cricket instead. I have been priced out and the money that our chairman has invested in the club has been completely wasted, we have nothing to show for it.

I agree with most of this, although the right manager can completely turn things around (look at the pigs) I don’t  know if Garry Monk is that man but I believe in giving him a proper chance and giving him a pre season, a back room team and allowing him to sign his own players.

Edited by DirtyLeedsOwl

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

That’s exactly the point. The Monk out brigade keep saying the same stuff but fail to come up with a single name that would both fit the bill and be prepared for the possibility of League 1 football.

Just name your preference for Monk’s replacement but have your tin hat at the ready.

Jovankovic proven track record!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Worse record then Jos,absolutely terrible since xmas,hasnt got a clue,tactics wise/identity,not convinced one bit and you Monkers need to look at his track record,sorry nothing against the bloke personally but he's gash.....

Thing is we are stuck with him as DC aint got a clue either....

UTO

Sweeping aside the usual glib stuff about tactics and the silly 'them (inferior)' and 'us (superior)' flag waving, you don't think having Birmingham on the edge of the play-offs (not a sniff of them since) and keeping Swansea in the Premier League twice are relatively commendable achievements? And if not, what exactly are you expecting for a club in our circumstances in terms of that kind of record?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

I agree with most of this, although the right manager can completely turn things around (look at the pigs) I don’t  know if Garry Monk is that man but I believe in giving him a proper chance and giving him a pre season, a back room team and allowing him to sign his own players.

United have made huge money in players throughout the last 10 years, they bring in lots of money and have invested wisely, we however, no longer own our stadium

Monk has been nothing short of a disaster. I am hard pressed to think he has actually achieved in his whole managerial career.

He is a journeyman, a jobbing manager trotting from one job to another until he is sacked the offering his services such as they are to the next desperate club.

Can someone inform me of ANYTHING he has achieved in his managerial career of note. Anything ?

Just now, Captain Scarlett said:

Monk has been nothing short of a disaster. I am hard pressed to think he has actually achieved in his whole managerial career.

He is a journeyman, a jobbing manager trotting from one job to another until he is sacked the offering his services such as they are to the next desperate club.

Can someone inform me of ANYTHING he has achieved in his managerial career of note. Anything ?

There's been plenty of examples posted in this very thread mate

Read back and see em for yourself

Owlstalk Shop

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There's been plenty of examples posted in this very thread mate

Read back and see em for yourself

I've already read the whole thread and apart from doubles over Man Utd and Arsenal he has achieved NOTHING !

And the doubles were with the side he inherited from Luadrup at Swansea.  Since then every club has sacked him pronto ! apart from us.

1 minute ago, Captain Scarlett said:

I've already read the whole thread and apart from doubles over Man Utd and Arsenal he has achieved NOTHING !

And the doubles were with the side he inherited from Luadrup at Swansea.  Since then every club has sacked him pronto ! apart from us.

Ahhhh reyt

Ok

Owlstalk Shop

47 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Jovankovic proven track record!

Do You mean Jokanovic, ex Watford and Fulham?  If you do it’s not a bad shout I’ll give you that.

Got two promotions from the Championship on his CV. 

Also two sackings after dismal winless runs in the top flight. (Bit like Megson’s record)

Currently unemployed so could be tempted but only if we remain in Championship I think. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

He kept Swansea in the Premier League twice. He made some astute signings there that are still playing regularly at that level and a couple of them returned the club a handsome fee when sold on (Ayew and Sigurddson moved for something like £68m combined). A few of the team currently at the top of the Championship were his signings. Birmingham's last sniff of the play-offs was when he was in charge. To anyone not pre-determined to deny everything, these would be seen as creditable achievements. 

How many managers can you name who would potentially be interested in a club in our predicament, have an extensive record of whatever it is you deem an achievement, not been dismissed from previous jobs and be realistically affordable to us? 

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 4