BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

11 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

What would you describe as fair.

I don't think there is a fair answer. Based on the idea that this season can't be finished there are going to be a lot of upset clubs.

Any team in the promotion places will want to decide the season on games already played, teams close enough to catch them won't want that because they might have caught the leaders. Same at the bottom, any clubs in relegation places vwill think they might have avoided relegation, clubs just above the relegation places will be delighted.

Whatever the EFL decide they are going to get it in the neck.

Personally I think the season should be abandoned but I might be just a tiny bit biased.

There are talks of it lasting 16 weeks, contracts with players cannot be extended, for a start with a lot of lost revenue then a lot of clubs including ours will not be able to afford to simply extend contracts.  Given the length of time we are likely to see no football I really cannot see any other option but to null and void the season.  Some may see it as being not fair but I don't see a fairer way to continue.

Of course we would get 12 points deduction for this season but ultimately would mean nothing, would get the EFL out of a bind, they win and we win.  Im sure DC would agree to that.

27 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

There are talks of it lasting 16 weeks, contracts with players cannot be extended, for a start with a lot of lost revenue then a lot of clubs including ours will not be able to afford to simply extend contracts.  Given the length of time we are likely to see no football I really cannot see any other option but to null and void the season.  Some may see it as being not fair but I don't see a fairer way to continue.

Of course we would get 12 points deduction for this season but ultimately would mean nothing, would get the EFL out of a bind, they win and we win.  Im sure DC would agree to that.

I’m confused by a few opinions in this thread but when I see this mentioned I’m really confused.  Why, if this season is binned off so it doesn’t exist as some are suggesting, would we get a points deduction that wouldn’t cause us any actual harm? Strange 

We are in almost unprecedented times

The only precedent is probably war time

Clubs and fans weren't squealing then about fairness

Football is very secondary

I almost pity people that cannot understand that

Almost...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scram said:

Almost...

This. 

The biggest danger in all this is the stupidity of the public. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

This. 

The biggest danger in all this is the stupidity of the public. 

We just had our first two cases here in the town where I live. The pubs have been rammed all day yesterday, FFS. Stag and hen parties all over town and they'll all be heading home today to various parts of the country having possibly been in contact with the virus. Absolutelyfuckingmindless. 

8 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I’m confused by a few opinions in this thread but when I see this mentioned I’m really confused.  Why, if this season is binned off so it doesn’t exist as some are suggesting, would we get a points deduction that wouldn’t cause us any actual harm? Strange 

Mate don't even go down that rabbit hole, not on this site lol. Sift my friend..sift them out 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

We just had our first two cases here in the town where I live. The pubs have been rammed all day yesterday, FFS. Stag and hen parties all over town and they'll all be heading home today to various parts of the country having possibly been in contact with the virus. Absolutelyfuckingmindless. 

Meanwhile Spain, France, Bulgaria to name but a few all closed bars restaurants and Cafes. 

We (the UK) are the basket case of the world. 

2 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Meanwhile Spain, France, Bulgaria to name but a few all closed bars restaurants and Cafes. 

I was supposed to go to spain yesterday but pulled out when I heard of the lockdown. a friend who's in benidorm just posted she went for a pre breakfast stroll and got stopped by the police and told to return to her hotel ....seems a bit OTT to me .

6 hours ago, scram said:

Almost...

Think they scheduled the last world wars to start after the season had finished!

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I was supposed to go to spain yesterday but pulled out when I heard of the lockdown. a friend who's in benidorm just posted she went for a pre breakfast stroll and got stopped by the police and told to return to her hotel ....seems a bit OTT to me .

Once we start getting 80/90/100 deaths per day, you won't be thinking that.

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Once we start getting 80/90/100 deaths per day, you won't be thinking that.

29 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I take your point but say we manage to keep it at bay by isolating ourselves, what happens when we come out of isolation and then bang it hits us again.  We can't isolate for ever at some point we have to mingle. 

Not having a go just confused and I don't have an answer to the problem.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

I take your point but say we manage to keep it at bay by isolating ourselves, what happens when we come out of isolation and then bang it hits us again.  We can't isolate for ever at some point we have to mingle. 

There is no easy answer unfortunately, this is a near unprecedented catastrophe. Without getting too political, I think the path Public Health England has taken is one they have taken to avoid overloading the NHS at all costs, as that is vital. Had we not had a decade of underfunding for the NHS, perhaps the actions they would look to take would be a bit different as capacity would be higher.

Unfortunately, even then it doesn't change the biology of the situation. This will be some of the most difficult few weeks and months any of us will have to live through.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I think the idea is to slow it down to manageable levels, so the NHS etc. can cope.

Like you say, I think we are all getting it at some point.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, owl_83 said:

Football would be completely ruined if the season is null and void, completely and utterly ruined. There would be so many lawsuits, it would not survive.

It wouldn’t and there won’t be any law suits.