BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said the Tokyo Olympic Games will go ahead as planned in July, despite coronavirus concerns resulting in the postponement of many sporting events.

But he added that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) would have the final decision whether Tokyo 2020 went ahead.

Japan has had more than 1,400 cases and 28 deaths resulting from coronavirus.

No way this will go ahead, if all international sporting events are postponed/cancelled over the Spring and Summer. The athletes won't be fit, or have gained the qualification times in their events, as they'll be no competitions. Statement more for the sponsors.

2 hours ago, Animis said:

I understand your point, but I believe this current concern/hysteria is because this virus is new and there's no current vaccine. I feel this will just become part of the fabric of society in future and people will become less concerned and accept it's the norm.

We've been doing this with winter flue for decades, with UK deaths alone at 300K or so. This is hardly reported and we certainly don't shut down half the country between Oct-March every year.

We should be focusing on the very vulnerable as it's them that will feel the full force of this, and as long as the 99% of the population, who will suffer only a minor inconvenience, focus on this point we should be able to manage the impact.

This is much more infectious than flu and much more deadly. Flu kilss .1 to .2 of those infected, this can kill between 1 and 6% depending on how the health service copes.

Comparisins to flu are superficial. .

BBC and Sky have announced they're going to show Battle Royale and Running Man dystopian game shows, where desperate panic buyers fight to the death, with the last surviving contestant getting a lifetimes supply of bog roll. :ph34r:WTF::ghoulguy:

Also Sky Sports have reclaimed the exclusive rights to broadcast live football matches when football fully returns in several years time. By which time contracted players before the virus pandemic suspended events, many of which will be in retirement age. So, Sky Sports will be showing over 60s 5-a-side walking football, once sporting events can recommence. lol

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

they said antibiotics would be able to fight anything like this . 

Wish they did fight a virus, cos it would be reletively easy to control. Anyone at risk due to age, underlying health conditions etc could be sent an emergency pack to use if they become ill immediately, much less strain on the NHS.

Unfortunately, they are no help for this and could make it worse.

I blame bar steward meat eaters. If we all ate a mostly plant based diet then it would stop the killing of a planet and ourselves.

Time for society to face facts Carnivorous(Coronavirus)  SARS, MERS, Swine flu, salmonella, mad cow disease....... Have you not got  the message yet !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Aye, that's why this season should be scrapped if it can't be completed before next season should start. What's the good of delaying next season and future competitions or scrapping next season, just for the good of a few teams in completing this season. As, I said it would create a dangerous precedent, where if faced in similar situations or conflicts, disasters and things, seasons will be delayed or held back and honoured just for the good of several teams. Whereas in the past teams were banned or missed out or competitions scrapped, as human life is far more important.

It's about time football had a reality check, it's not that important is it? This is a pandemic that has killed 000's so far, if the season ends today so what, just start afresh when it's all over.

Hopefully it will not claim as many as some predict, but the point is we don't know. More important things like health,  jobs, education. This is only one season of a game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

I blame bar steward meat eaters. If we all ate a mostly plant based diet then it would stop the killing of a planet and ourselves.

Time for society to face facts Carnivorous(Coronavirus)  SARS, MERS, Swine flu, salmonella, mad cow disease....... Have you not got  the message yet !!!

How do you know whether someone is a Vegan??

Because they tell you EVERY 5 minutes!!!

• Haha 6

So if the season is just cancelled and we all start again next season Will the teams on parachute payments get an extra lump sum or will they be made to manage on the same as everyone else?

2 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

My point is that if this season can't be completed, then it's ridiculous to delay pre-season and next season, just for the good of a few teams. Teams have missed out before due to European bans, conflicts and war, etc. Life and health is far more important than sport. Did they delay the Euro's for Yugoslavia? Or award teams when competitions couldn't be completed? Have they ever honoured teams that were banned or couldn't complete their fixtures?

So if this season is cancelled, all clubs will need to refund supporters a proportion of their season ticket money, membership and tv money and sponsorship.  Not exactly great for the clubs to lose that income - especially if they have to keep paying players wages till they expire at end of June 

As ex-footballers like Jenas and Cahill agree with me, we have to finish this season’s league matches even if that’s in June and July or August.  Then start next season in September or October.  Whenever these things can happen.
cancelling domestic cup competitions this and next season will help with fixture congestion - if next season has to be played from October to May. There will be ways to ensure the league keeps its integrity. 

Just because things were been done a certain way in the 1940’s doesn’t mean it should happen now.  

In my opinion football should be suspended until the Coronavirus is dealt with and then this season needs to be completed. 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Anyone thinking this season will be finished later on isnt thinking it through

The first expected peak of Coronavirus is May 

Players contracting it won’t be able to get fit enough to play, contracts are up, and again the general public needs to be well enough to staff the matches and that’s not even before things like attendances, public transport etc etc

Not a chance this season will get finished even in June or July 

No chance whatsoever 

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

You can't just force a player - or a club - to extend a contract (particularly if either party don't want to for whatever reason).

Fair enough, players and clubs can agree if they want to extended their contracts until this season is completed or not.  Or players can leave at end of June and sit watching the season being completed and not being paid. Simples

But cancelling this season and clubs having to refund season ticket and membership money to supporters for remaining fixtures doesn’t sound like a good move to me, especially as they need to keep paying players wages till end of June. 

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

So if this season is cancelled, all clubs will need to refund supporters a proportion of their season ticket money, membership and tv money and sponsorship.  Not exactly great for the clubs to lose that income. 

As ex-footballers like Jenas and Cahill agree with me, we have to finish this season’s league matches even if that’s in June and July or August.  Then start next season in September or October.  Whenever these things can happen.
cancelling donestic cup competitions this and next season will help with fixture congestion - if next season has to be played from October to May. There will be ways to ensure the league keeps its integrity. 

Just because things were been done a certain way in the 1940’s doesn’t mean it should happen now.  

In my opinion football should be suspended until the Coronavirus is dealt with and then this season needs to be completed. 

If they do re-commence this season in say July/August; after the peak, as you say they will need two/three months off before the new season starts so say October. I would imagine they could reduce the amount of games in season 2020/21 by 6-8 games or so to ensure the season ends in May as planned.

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Fair enough, players and clubs can agree if they want to extended their contracts until this season is completed or not.  Or players can leave at end of June and sit watching the season being completed and not being paid. Simples

But cancelling this season and clubs having to refund season ticket and membership money to supporters for remaining fixtures doesn’t sound like a good move to me, especially as they need to keep paying players wages till end of June. 

Season ticket holders don’t need to be refunded

Not sure where this idea has come from

Some clubs MAY refund fans pro rata but they won’t be legally obliged to do so

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Season ticket holders don’t need to be refunded

Not sure where this idea has come from

Some clubs MAY refund fans pro rata but they won’t be legally obliged to do so

People paid an amount to see 23 league games.  Why shouldn’t they be refunded for games they aren’t going to see? 
I think cancelling this season will cause more problems than not as compensation claims will come from all angles. But again it’s just my opinion 

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

People paid an amount to see 23 league games.  Why shouldn’t they be refunded for games they aren’t going to see? 
I think cancelling this season will cause more problems than not as compensation claims will come from all angles. But again it’s just my opinion 

See my reply above

Season ticket holders aren’t due for any refunds due to force majeur or act of god.

Owlstalk Shop