BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

From a purely Wednesday perspective, voiding the season sounds great. The threat of relegation would be averted (for now), pigs will miss out on Europe and Leeds will miss out on PL. We might even get our shít together off the pitch - sounds unrealistic I know, but we’re living in strange times! 

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

From a purely Wednesday perspective, voiding the season sounds great. The threat of relegation would be averted (for now), pigs will miss out on Europe and Leeds will miss out on PL. We might even get our shít together off the pitch - sounds unrealistic I know, but we’re living in strange times! 

Normally i'd agree.

I don't think I can come up with a perfect solution to come to terms with the season not finishing - biased or unbiased.

I don't have football primarily in my thoughts right now - I mean, it's hard enough to buy bog roll FFS, then I think about my parents both at risk, I think about my in laws - at least one at risk, probably both.   I look at my kids and thank god I am reasonably sure they are fine but still they will probably understand loss when this has finished which I had hoped would be quite a bit further off.

I don't really care if pigs get Europe or not to be honest, or if we get relegated.    Football I did think at one point was everything, but when poo gets real, it gets real.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Sorry but I really don’t understand why people are joining in debates about what to do with this season by saying human life is more important than football.  

Sorry but i don't really understand why anyone would give a shyte what happens regards football this season.

4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Sorry but i don't really understand why anyone would give a shyte what happens regards football this season.

This is a thread on Coronavirus in the matchday section of a football site, so surely it's a thread for discussing the implications it has on football?

Of course it's insignificant in the bigger picture but people shouldn't be castigated for discussing what the thread is about.

18 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

another way of looking at this is if you let it spread over several months then every job, business will go bust ,and the gov wont be able to save them . there are millions of small businesses and if they wernt able to work for months then most would collapse . the only solution I can see , is moving anyone at risk into a safe area ,or making extreme safety procedures in oap homes ,hospitals . or keeping those at risk at home and getting them food/medicines safely . I think we have to let this virus spread without all going out looking to get it get the peak quicker , and then gradually during the summer start getting life back to normal . what good is 10 million out of work unable to pay any bills? life just cant stop we cant all down our tools and stay locked in our homes for months and months . all winter virus`s spread most of us get 1 ,its just this one spreads incredibly fast ,there is no cure and ive read from experts it might be 3-4 years for a vaccine to become available widely.  who are we protecting? 

Like the insurance sector undertake, this will callously come down to a economic impact in terms of costs vs numbers of deaths.

The problem that the government have is a big peak, as the NHS won't be able to cope. However, you could conclude that business reactions is actually supporting this approach, but the government have been reluctant to act/support them in this - stopping sporting events, closing schools etc. You could conclude the government's approach is counter-intuitive, but they'll be a model that they've signed up to protect the economy and of course their political reputation.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Still no chance this season will be completed 

Im happy to bet my stash of 180 packs of loo roll

BUUUUT,,  If the season does eventually get concluded it'll probarbably take so long that some poor bugger is going to win 180packs of USED asswipe, FFS. :bullen:

33 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Normally i'd agree.

I don't think I can come up with a perfect solution to come to terms with the season not finishing - biased or unbiased.

I don't have football primarily in my thoughts right now - I mean, it's hard enough to buy bog roll FFS, then I think about my parents both at risk, I think about my in laws - at least one at risk, probably both.   I look at my kids and thank god I am reasonably sure they are fine but still they will probably understand loss when this has finished which I had hoped would be quite a bit further off.

I don't really care if pigs get Europe or not to be honest, or if we get relegated.    Football I did think at one point was everything, but when poo gets real, it gets real.

Totally agree that football is completely insignificant in the current climate.

However, this thread is about the impact the virus will have on football as opposed to the general thread in the dressing room forum, and from a very selfish perspective, we’re one of the clubs who will benefit most from cancelling the season and declaring it null and void.

It’s all a total mess though. The bigwigs who get in to football administration for a nice ride on the gravy train must be cacking themselves now they’ve actually got some work to do 

• Like 1

I've got a season bet on that would return nearly £20k if it happened. All teams currently very well placed and the cash out offer over £5k at the moment. 

My Bet is suspended because of the decisions taken yesterday but to be honest I couldn't care less. 

This is an historical event and I'm pretty sure we will all lose someone close to us so whether the season is finished, when it's finished or even if my bet is cancelled I couldn't give a hoot. 

Some things you cant control and this is one of them. 

The big failure in terms of football administration is there is no binding rule in the leagues that says something along the lines of 'if the season can't be finished due to force majeure the current standings will be the final league placings provided at least 50% of games have been played' 

26 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

However, this thread is about the impact the virus will have on football as opposed to the general thread in the dressing room forum, and from a very selfish perspective, we’re one of the clubs who will benefit most from cancelling the season and declaring it null and void.

It’s all a total mess though. The bigwigs who get in to football administration for a nice ride on the gravy train must be cacking themselves now they’ve actually got some work to do 

I have a nagging feeling this issue will not only hit this season, the Euros - but also next season too.    Not because this problem will eat into next season, but because litigation will ensue.

41 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Theres no way clubs could afford to lose out on the income the remaining games would generate and still pay their players without taking major major losses, they will postpone the whole of next season or run the next season longer 

3 hours ago, scram said:

What about the players whose contracts are up end of June?

2 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Next season can still happen.  Maybe it runs from November to June.  It’s much better to cancel next seasons domestic and international cup competitions to allow for this situation than to write off a season that is well underway. 

if clubs and players don’t want to sign 1-3 month contract extensions then they can leave at end of June if they want to, sit at home unpaid watching this season be completed. 

Anyway this debate is clearly dividing opinions for obvious reasons and like I said in a previous post it’s a mess for the authorities to come up with the best solution.  It will be 50/50 amongst clubs as to whether to cancel this season or finish it later in the year 

Agreed, thats the simple solution. Have to make a rule that an extension for same wage is on the table for all clubs and players should they wish to take it.

35 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Agreed, thats the simple solution. Have to make a rule that an extension for same wage is on the table for all clubs and players should they wish to take it.

That is simply not an option

Contracts don't work that way

10 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Only fair way imo is to make the season null and void. No promotion or relegation.

In what way is that “fair”? Some teams have completed 80% of this season on course for promotion. If it’s not allowed to happen it could set them back years. I.e. Coventry.  I really would like to see how owls fans would feel if we were 5 points clear in the top two of the championship after 20 years in the wilderness. 

This is a global event that none of us have ever experienced before. Other than those precious few who can still remember WW2, I’m not sure if anybody alive today will have experienced anything as seismic as this, in terms of global reach, impact or potential threat to our way of life? 9/11 is the only one that even comes close in my lifetime and even then I think we’re already past that, with the worse believed to be on the way. 

The season should be cancelled. When and whether we can/should give Liverpool a title parade should literally be the last thing the county is thinking about right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

They can't promote a team with 9 games left as brentford could catch them.its a difficult situation but nullify the season seems best way 

Seems the most likely option but still.Can't wait to see Weed's reaction if it does happen.lol