BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

7 minutes ago, Kameron said:

We’re you getting the 40% from, the current fatality rate in Italy is 7%, if everyone was tested that could drop.

No doubt this is serious but the panic is beyond belief.  We need calm heads, the South Korean foreign minister who was on the Ridge show is exactly what’s needed.

It's 7% of all cases, including active ones. Ie, people who still have it.

40% is of RESOLVED cases. Neither 7% nor 40% will be the correct figure once the pandemic is over.

Guest Kameron
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If she was that seriously Ill she'd be in intensive care surrounded by medical staff in space suits.

Guest Kameron
Just now, StudentOwl said:

It's 7% of all cases, including active ones. Ie, people who still have it.

40% is of RESOLVED cases. Neither 7% nor 40% will be the correct figure once the pandemic is over.

Agreed but to say 40% of people who have or had coronavirus are now deceased in Italy is wrong.

Guest Kameron
Just now, @owlstalk said:

I will believe this bloke who has first hand experience and is going through it to be fair 

Fair does I tend not to believe anything until it’s back up, I certainly don’t believe she’d be left at home to fend for herself.

2 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Fair does I tend not to believe anything until it’s back up, I certainly don’t believe she’d be left at home to fend for herself.

Doubtful there are beds in hospital for many now though 

Can see it becoming the norm

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Predictions are now that a bigger second wave will hit those countries this coming winter that have seemingly gone through first one

Yes, and this is the key. The Chief Medical Officer has already warned against panic and implementing measures too quickly because of society fatigue. The economic impact in a year lock-down will be catastrophic.

I think we'll quickly see this moving from a health issue to an economic one, with G7/20 nations having to agree an emergency action plan - international 0% interest rates; massive quantitative easing and almost war-time production/logistics measures to prop economies up. Unless people calm down, this could escalate into a nightmare. People are going to die. As painful as this is, we need to move on from this to protect the majority long term.

Guest Kameron
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Doubtful there are beds in hospital for many now though 

Can see it becoming the norm

Agreed on that.  

9 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Agreed but to say 40% of people who have or had coronavirus are now deceased in Italy is wrong.

Good job I didn't say that then, isn't it?

Currently in Italy, 40% of resolved cases have resulted in death. Get your head around that. Of everyone that has caught it and doesn't have it any more, 40% are in a morgue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

I agree to a point but this will be extremely more complicated than anyone can imagine. 

The ramifications are endless and clubs are going to go bust aswell as businesses up and down the country. 

I'm not trying to be sensationalist here but I've sat back and watched developments without saying a thing up to this point.

Nobody can predict the nightmare scenarios that are about to unfold but this will be a deep cleansing for world football and more importantly every day life for a world dictated by finance.

For good or bad, the game of football is about to change and some have been wishing this for some time. 

Somewhat agree with you. We are facing a medical and economic disaster like none of us has seen in recent history. Hoping for the best and the scientists can come up with a fix. This could reset a lot of things not just football,  really what happens to the season is of little concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Ok so hit me with some facts as to why this is much more serious to anything in the past and I’ll hold my hands up 

China has flu as well. It is the world's most populous country and tens of thousands a year contract flu.

The doctors out there know what flu is, what the symptoms look like and how to treat.

What prompted a small group of doctors i Wuhan to go into panic and splash all over Weibo that they were experiencing something new and deadly before the news had even been officially released? (Bear in my that these doctors risked arrest and imprisonment but thought the issue so serious that they went public anyway - one of whom died of the disease at the age of 36).

People on the ground in Hubei Province say the disease that they have experienced is nothing akin to colds and flu. I have connected with some of them directly through WeChat, not read that on line. Two people that I know have died of the disease in Hubei. One is a woman in her early thirties. Her daughter aged 12 also died the same day (though neither death was officially registered as coronavirus. That remains a highly contentious issue).

What prompted the Chinese govern to impose emergency, draconian measures to contain the disease?

You would have to be complacent in the extreme to treat this like mild, seasonal influenza - It's not!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

What have you seen to make you think it isn’t an overreaction, the same flus that have killed old people previously, what makes this one different? . The majority of deaths in the UK have been over 80 

The media hyping it up, the same media we’re told everyday not to trust.

I just want to know how everyone thinks a mid flu virus is going to cause such devastation? And you can talk about it evolving into something far worse, but the exact same thing was said for all the other epidemics over the years, and nothing happened 

I am not trying to be ballsy, it’s just typical human behaviour I’m seeing 

This virus is many times as infectious as the flu virus, at least double, some reports say ten times more infectious. It is many time more deadly than Flu. Flu death rates are about .1% or 1 in 1000. This virus kills between 10 in 1000 and 60 in 1000 depending largely on how the health services perform. At the peak of the infection health services can't cope hence the increased death rate.

If you want to be dismissive of the risk go ahead, we all need to make our own decisions.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Thank you for providing facts, although you haven’t sourced them I’m sure they’re legit. Something Neil couldn’t do 

as for your last paragraph that’s all guesswork at the moment, isn’t it. But yes I will definitely be eating humble pie in a few months if the situation worsens 

You want facts try this government website

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Bottom left corner CONFIRMED CASES

10/3, 52

11/3, 83

12/3, 139

13/3, 207

14/3, 343

Now the government has stopped testing people unless they are admitted to hospital. Would you like to guess why? I'll tell you, because they don't want to frighten people with the real figures

I posted this on here last Thursday. Go to my Profile page to check (17.57 Thursday)

think it will escalate quickly from here on. Confirmed cases have gone up like this 52,83,134, over the last 3 days. Project that forward 200, 350, 550, 800, 1400, or something close. That's the confirmed cases, the actual number will be much greater. I'm not commenting on the general situation but from a football perspective it's obvious some players will catch it and shut their club down, once a few clubs can't play there is no point going on playing behind closed doors.

Am I psychic? No I researched the figures in China and Italy and saw how thir infection rates went up.

If I'm right we would have had 1400 NEW cases per day confirmed by Tuesday or Wednesday. The important thing to note is people are actually infected at least 5 days before symtoms show so that 1400 by Tuesday probably means 8000 new cases infected but not showing up.

Is that enough facts for you or would you like a few more?

3 minutes ago, prowl said:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

10/3, 52

11/3, 83

12/3, 139

13/3, 207

14/3, 343

Now the government has stopped testing people unless they are admitted to hospital. Would you like to guess why? I'll tell you, because they don't want to frighten people with the real figures

I posted this on here last Thursday. Go to my Profile page to check (17.57 Thursday)

think it will escalate quickly from here on. Confirmed cases have gone up like this 52,83,134, over the last 3 days. Project that forward 200, 350, 550, 800, 1400, or something close. That's the confirmed cases, the actual number will be much greater. I'm not commenting on the general situation but from a football perspective it's obvious some players will catch it and shut their club down, once a few clubs can't play there is no point going on playing behind closed doors.

Am I psychic? No I researched the figures in China and Italy and saw how thir infection rates went up.

If I'm right we would have had 1400 NEW cases per day confirmed by Tuesday or Wednesday. The important thing to note is people are actually infected at least 5 days before symtoms show so that 1400 by Tuesday probably means 8000 new cases infected but not showing up.

But again your ‘facts’ are estimations based on trends in other countries such as China and Italy 

do you know what fact means? 

‘if I’m right’ - again points to a estimation, not fact 

your theory that the government has stopped testing people to stop the scaremongering - again is your opinion, not FACT 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

-It is statistically at least 10x more deadly than flu. Currently in Italy, 40% of resolved cases have resulted in death. Get your head around that. Of everyone that has caught it and doesn't have it any more, 40% are in a morgue.

I'm sorry, but this is borderline woo-science rubbish.

Stick to the facts; people are panicking enough without this type of nonsense.

why-italy-coronavirus-deaths-so-high

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

10/3, 52

11/3, 83

12/3, 139

13/3, 207

14/3, 343

It's interesting how different governments are reacting in an attempt to control the spread. Just now from the BBC:

Austria has banned gatherings of five people or more as part of a series of new, tighter restrictions to "starve" the coronavirus.

The government is also closing restaurants from Tuesday, and is telling people not to leave the home apart from to go to work, get food or grab other necessities, or to help people.

Chancellor Sebastian Kurz tweeted: "We're aware those are massive restrictions but they are necessary to defend the health of the Austrian people and starve out Covid-19."

Can they 'starve' this, and long long will that take? If they can't and this virus is that contagious and the projected figures will happened anyway, what is the point of implement these measures now.

• Like 1

Perspective:

"Public Health England told ITV News: "The number of flu cases and deaths due to flu-related complications varies each flu season.

"The average number of deaths in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually.

"This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15."

Since October, more than 4,000 people with confirmed flu have been admitted to hospitals in England with at least 70 deaths."

Can anyone explain why we're not all in a complete panic about seasonal flu?

"The most at-risk groups are also slightly different between the two illnesses. Current understanding of Covid-19 suggests that elderly people and those with underlying illnesses have the biggest risk of developing a severe infection, while those most at-risk from influenza also include children and pregnant women. Initial evidence suggests that, while children are important drivers of transmitting influenza, they are less affected than adults by Covid-19."

Edited by talon
Further Information