BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest. 

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus. 

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures. 

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings. 

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis. 

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week. 

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

Premier League 'aims to reschedule the displaced fixtures' 

The Premier League says it intends to return on 4 April, "subject to medical advice and conditions at the time".

In a statement the Premier League said: "Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim is to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.

"In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate."

England friendlies off

The suspension of elite football in England means the England friendlies against Italy and Denmark, scheduled for 27 March and 31 March respectively, will not take place.

FA Cup quarter-finals off

The ban on football matches in England covers the FA Cup as well as the Premier League, EFL and Women's Super League.

That means that the quarter-finals scheduled for 21 and 22 March have also been postponed

Parties admit resuming matches in early April almost impossible - Dan Roan, BBC Sport  

These are deeply turbulent times in English football - and across world sport of course - which is having to face up to a period of disruption and dislocation unprecedented in peacetime. 

Privately, all parties admit that resuming matches in early April - when the initial suspension will be reviewed - will be almost impossible. 

But the hope is that next week a decision is taken to postpone Euro2020 for a year, thereby freeing up space in the calendar to re-schedule outstanding matches and complete domestic league seasons across the continent at some stage.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

Love it, fans celebrating on twitter like we won the league, hilarious, how has following this team got that bad 😂

I think it means DC cannot balls anything up for a few weeks / months.

At least we will get to see if he does genuinely have the finance now as the match day income will be stopping for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

Love it, fans celebrating on twitter like we won the league, hilarious, how has following this team got that bad 😂

How will they decide promotion/relegation?

Have a “pools panel”?

Because I cant see how they can complete the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

Just said to my misses that at least I wont be grumpy for the next 3 weeks

Potentially good news for us as gives more time for the charge to be resolved and players like Reach and Luongo to come back from injury 

Guess all bets are off as to what happens to the league. Maybe possible they just cancel..who knows.

3 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I think we have to take one of the country and cancel the entire season and start a fresh next year. Best all round right? 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

At least we will get to see if he does genuinely have the finance now as the match day income will be stopping for the foreseeable future.

There is an interesting question as to whether FFP rules will be relaxed in terms of owner cash injections considering these events.

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wonder what will happen with regards the point deduction. Will the EFL use this time without games to sort it and us out. 

Unless the points are sorted out by some expert panel, in lieu of actually playing them, I can’t see how the respective Divisions can be concluded.

Including the Premiership.

The evidence suggests that at April 4th it will be at its “low” peak - then supposedly, last throughout the summer in a long but manageable  stretch 

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

How will they decide promotion/relegation?

Have a “pools panel”?

Because I cant see how they can complete the season.

Play the season again starting next season is my guess.. so Liverpool still waiting for that league title haha