BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Just now, @owlstalk said:

FreshOwl bases his science on hating Piers Morgan

That’s just an example 

So you have no facts, just admit it, it’s ok 

maybe stick to your captivating Dom howson threads, oh I’ve mentioned his name you might cry again 

Funny how you go on about #bekind and discuss the post, yet here you are trying to out me instead of actually discussing the post 

poor excuse for a site owner 

29 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Ok so hit me with some facts as to why this is much more serious to anything in the past and I’ll hold my hands up 

-It is statistically at least 10x more deadly than flu. Currently in Italy, 40% of resolved cases have resulted in death. Get your head around that. Of everyone that has caught it and doesn't have it any more, 40% are in a morgue.

-Unlike pre-existing flu viruses, humanity has no innate immunity to it. That means many, many more people can catch it, as there's no immune people in the population that act as a buffer to prevent the spread.

-There is no vaccination for it. Unlike every year where thousands upon thousands of flu vaccines are given to the most vulnerable.

Combine these three factors and you'll realise the potential scope for how serious this is. Unfortunately, whilst you say you're open to holding your hands up, I don't think you will. I won't look forward to point-scoring in two months' time, but rest assured I will remind you of your posts today and I promise you you will be ashamed you were ever so dismissive. Once the number of deaths per day reaches 100, I hope you find some humility.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m not trying to start anything by the way, I’m genuinely interested as to why this is much more of a severe situation than previously. But it seems too many people have been following piers Morgan’s Twitter 

Why do you think countries are locking down left, right and centre? Do you think these decisions have been made because world leaders are influenced by piers morgans Twitter feed? Or because that's what their medical experts are telling them? 

If it was just flu why would said medical experts be suggesting such drastic action given the huge social and economic consequences?

17 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Personally I don’t feel any football will be resumed until August / September 

Meaning the season will have to be cancelled null & void and start again next year. Whether that happens is another question

from a totally selfish Sheffield Wednesday point of view, it could be the opportunity to sort our club out from top to bottom, get rid of deadwood - and start putting the wheels in motion for next season. 

I agree to a point but this will be extremely more complicated than anyone can imagine. 

The ramifications are endless and clubs are going to go bust aswell as businesses up and down the country. 

I'm not trying to be sensationalist here but I've sat back and watched developments without saying a thing up to this point.

Nobody can predict the nightmare scenarios that are about to unfold but this will be a deep cleansing for world football and more importantly every day life for a world dictated by finance.

For good or bad, the game of football is about to change and some have been wishing this for some time. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

-It is statistically at least 10x more deadly than flu. Currently in Italy, 40% of resolved cases have resulted in death. Get your head around that. Of everyone that has caught it and doesn't have it any more, 40% are in a morgue.

-Unlike pre-existing flu viruses, humanity has no innate immunity to it. That means many, many more people can catch it, as there's no immune people in the population that act as a buffer to prevent the spread.

-There is no vaccination for it. Unlike every year where thousands upon thousands of flu vaccines are given to the most vulnerable.

Combine these three factors and you'll realise the potential scope for how serious this is. Unfortunately, whilst you say you're open to holding your hands up, I don't think you will. I won't look forward to point-scoring in two months' time, but rest assured I will remind you of your posts today and I promise you you will be ashamed you were ever so dismissive. Once the number of deaths per day reaches 100, I hope you find some humility.

Thank you for providing facts, although you haven’t sourced them I’m sure they’re legit. Something Neil couldn’t do 

as for your last paragraph that’s all guesswork at the moment, isn’t it. But yes I will definitely be eating humble pie in a few months if the situation worsens 

Have a look at the Office for National Statistics website.   Number of registered deaths in England and Wales (so EXCLUDING Scotland and N. Ireland)  were 541,589 in 2018 and 533,253 in 2018.

I've no wish to understate the effect that the the current pandemic has on the individuals and  families affected but it's simply the case that around 1,000 people in the UK every day die from some cause or another unrelated to coronavirus. 

10 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Thank you for providing facts, although you haven’t sourced them I’m sure they’re legit. Something Neil couldn’t do 

as for your last paragraph that’s all guesswork at the moment, isn’t it. But yes I will definitely be eating humble pie in a few months if the situation worsens 

First bullet point was stated by a doctor in a Senate hearing last week. Cannot remember the name but was the one that has been critical about Trump admins response to not providing enough test. Typically 0.1% of flu cases result in death. Of "closed cases" globally, 7% have resulted in death. Even in China, where you would expect favourable statistics to be pumped out by the propaganda machine, 4% death rate. To reiterate, normal flu is 0.1%.

-My second bullet point I feel like I shouldn't need to source. This is a novel virus that originated in animals. When viruses jump to a different species, there is no innate immunity in the new population. That's ubiquitous across all organisms. Only the very lucky with one-in-a-million odds of mutation will have innate immunity. Across the scale of an entire population, some groups will have stronger immunity than others (fortunately), which will be why to some individuals the symptoms will be mild. These will always be the lucky minority in the case of a virus that jumps to a different species.

-Third point goes hand in hand with the second. Flu vaccine is developed months before it's rolled out, and is always very specific to only a couple of strains of flu that are projected to cause the most problems that year. This novel virus will not be affected by any existing flu vaccine

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, the third man said:

The latest revelation that they are going to advise / force over 70's to self isolate for four months shows that the government does not expect it to go away until the end of July

Exactly

we are in this for the long haul

and it’s certainly NOT just a flu

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Kameron
37 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

We’re you getting the 40% from, the current fatality rate in Italy is 7%, if everyone was tested that could drop.

No doubt this is serious but the panic is beyond belief.  We need calm heads, the South Korean foreign minister who was on the Ridge show is exactly what’s needed.

I think the link to flue is that the impact on the same demographic - old and people with underlying health issues. Clearly the disease and contagious nature on Cov19 is different.

One thing that I can't understand is the contagion projections - up to 80% of the population. China and South Korea have already seen a tailing off from the peak. If the contagion projections are true, and can't be stopped by these current lock-down measures, isn't it inevitable that most of us are going to contract it over the next weeks/months.

Theses lock-down measures will only slow the daily/weekly numbers, which will protect the NHS and give them a chance to treat the worst cases, and presumably reduce the death rate.

However, is a society/commerce lock down really feasible for several months? Football is only a peripheral interest in these bigger family/job/pension issues. People's concern will leave football very quickly in my view.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think the link to flue is that the impact on the same demographic - old and people with underlying health issues. Clearly the disease and contagious nature on Cov19 is different.

One thing that I can't understand is the contagion projections - up to 80% of the population. China and South Korea have already seen a tailing off from the peak. If the contagion projections are true, and can't be stopped by these current lock-down measures, isn't it inevitable that most of us are going to contract it over the next weeks/months.

Theses lock-down measures will only slow the daily/weekly numbers, which will protect the NHS and give them a chance to treat the worst cases, and presumably reduce the death rate.

However, is a society/commerce lock down really feasible for several months? Football is only a peripheral interest in these bigger family/job/pension issues. People's concern will leave football very quickly in my view.

Predictions are now that a bigger second wave will hit those countries this coming winter that have seemingly gone through first one

Owlstalk Shop