Bannan’s thoughts on Wildsmith save

4 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Why didnt Bannan have a go at our defence for their lack positional awareness for some of the goals or even with himself for the lack of effort in trying to tackle the player for the second goal and not making any attempt to close down the player making the cross for the third? Maybe that might have been a bit too much for Barry Big Time to deal with.

I think it's because Joe is absolute dogger

• Like 1

Bannan isn't the manager, he's the captain.   A manager can give a bollocking after the game, but a captain is a leader, or supposed to be.  

Whatever the wrongs and rights of the second QPR goal, there was 40 minutes left to play and we were one goal behind, Bannan's rant doesn't alter any facts and doesn't improve any performance.   Leadership gets heads up again, gets players playing again. 

Captainship and leadership should be the same thing, but clearly they're not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Bannan isn't the manager, he's the captain.   A manager can give a bollocking after the game, but a captain is a leader, or supposed to be.  

Whatever the wrongs and rights of the second QPR goal, there was 40 minutes left to play and we were one goal behind, Bannan's rant doesn't alter any facts and doesn't improve any performance.   Leadership gets heads up again, gets players playing again. 

Captainship and leadership should be the same thing, but clearly they're not.

In an isolated incident like that, Roy Keane would have reacted in a similar manner, he was a pretty good captain.

That's not to say I think Bannan is a good captain, I agree he doesn't encourage and dictate positionally enough to be a good captain, unfortunately as many have sais, we haven't had a player of that ilk since Loovens.

In that instance though it is a natural reaction in the heat of the moment, many would have done the same. I am more concerned by how many of our players shrug their shoulders and accept various errors by their team mates or fail to question dubious decisions that officials make. A real lack of passion or interest. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

If Bannan tried to volley the ball in Wildsmiths face he would more than likely miss. But Wildsmith could maybe show Bannan how to take a free kick, a corner, show him how to tackle or put a block in instead of constantly turning his back.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek when i typed this.

Joking aside, you are not wrong.  They are both as bad (literally) as each other.

I think it highlights what a shambles of a club we are both on and off the pitch. I'm hoping for a totally new squad next season, regardless of what division we are in.

I'm sure everyone here leads by example at the match and has never sworn, shouted, berated or even boo'd the players from the stands.

And don't give me that 'professional' player guff either.

Today's footballers are all pretty much uneducated narcissists. Their world is like Love Island but with actual talent.

They react to the heat of the moment just like any of you do.

And what the hell is short man syndrome?

Can only people of a certain height be allowed to be disagreeable?

At what height would it be acceptable for Bannan to call out Wildsmith for being a wankatron?

5'8?

5'10?

6'0?

I'm glad our most talented player is wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Demand the best. Accept nothing less.

• Like 4

On 12/04/2021 at 02:41, jonesy87shef said:

Anyone who’s played in goal at even an average level will tell you that’s awful goalkeeping even with the minimal deflection.

Body position all wrong, slow in adjusting and completely weak.

It should still be a simple catch yet alone save.

Our two backup keepers are capable of excellent saves at times (as are all league keepers), but my word they never get the basics right. Honestly at their age the mistakes are pathetic. Positioning, technique, basics and footwork have been severely lacking for years.

Wildsmith has always been decent at saving on the line but always had terrible footwork when setting up to push off for saves. Saturday was just another example of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

I'm sure everyone here leads by example at the match and has never sworn, shouted, berated or even boo'd the players from the stands.

And don't give me that 'professional' player guff either.

Today's footballers are all pretty much uneducated narcissists. Their world is like Love Island but with actual talent.

They react to the heat of the moment just like any of you do.

And what the hell is short man syndrome?

Can only people of a certain height be allowed to be disagreeable?

At what height would it be acceptable for Bannan to call out Wildsmith for being a wankatron?

5'8?

5'10?

6'0?

I'm glad our most talented player is wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Demand the best. Accept nothing less.

Lets hope he can sort his own weaknesses out first before he starts to question others.