Bannan’s thoughts on Wildsmith save

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

What's Bannans thought on now going 52 games without scoring a goal from open play. 

It's got to be up there with our worst midfielder of all time for lack of goals. I know he a creative force but he does not score enough goals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

What's Bannans thought on now going 52 games without scoring a goal from open play. 

It's got to be up there with our worst midfielder of all time for lack of goals. I know he a creative force but he does not score enough goals.

It's almost irrelevant where it's coming from. Wildsmith is poo.

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

The deflection on that was minimal, and certainly shouldn’t have resulted in Wildsmith being that far away from it.

Just got his positioning totally wrong and  was up sh** creek without a paddle 

He only had 6 shot to save and 4 ended up in the goal. None were top corner, thunderbolt all were bad keeper, positioning.

Westwood of a few season ago would never have conceded the first, the second was awful, the third a glance and I stop watching for the fourth.

We have always had good goal keepers over the years, Hodge, Turner, Woods, Pressman, Srnicek, Lucas, Grant, Turner, Carson, Kirkland, Westwood.

The current crop couldn't clean the boots of any of them, probably would drop them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

He only had 6 shot to save and 4 ended up in the goal. None were top corner, thunderbolt all were bad keeper, positioning.

Westwood of a few season ago would never have conceded the first, the second was awful, the third a glance and I stop watching for the fourth.

We have always had good goal keepers over the years, Hodge, Turner, Woods, Pressman, Srnicek, Lucas, Grant, Turner, Carson, Kirkland, Westwood.

The current crop couldn't clean the boots of any of them, probably would drop them.

Totally. 

The amount of mistakes he makes are horrendous.

Hasn’t improved in 5 years and is no longer a kid, in fact far from it. 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

The irony of Bannan slagging off his teammate when he was as bad as the rest of the lobbers yesterday. 

He really wasn't. 

1 hour ago, markg said:

Players will stay stuff like that all the time in the heat of the moment, we just can’t usually hear it 

The point is that it's not what you'd want from your team captain.

Wasn't Josh Windass hanged, drawn and quartered by many on here for saying something "in the heat of the moment"? I suppose it's OK if it's Bannan though... 

For what it's worth, I don't think Bannan has ever been captain material. We haven't had a captain since Loovens.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bobness said:

The point is that it's not what you'd want from your team captain.

Wasn't Josh Windass hanged, drawn and quartered by many on here for saying something "in the heat of the moment"? I suppose it's OK if it's Bannan though... 

For what it's worth, I don't think Bannan has ever been captain material. We haven't had a captain since Loovens.

Different situations though, Windass was the one in the wrong so had no right to be slagging anyone off. Should have realised he messed up and held his hands up.

Agree that there’s been a massive void since Loovens left re captaincy though. 

• Like 2

People are so sensitive to stick these days. The Windass situation didn’t cost us a goal which ultimately relegated us. Yes you can say we’ve been relegated for a while, but that game yesterday at 1-1 off the back of the Cardiff game we were very much still in the hunt. It was a stupid mistake, he deserved a bit of heckling. It’s done and we move on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

People are so sensitive to stick these days. The Windass situation didn’t cost us a goal which ultimately relegated us. Yes you can say we’ve been relegated for a while, but that game yesterday at 1-1 off the back of the Cardiff game we were very much still in the hunt. It was a stupid mistake, he deserved a bit of heckling. It’s done and we move on 

Yep. I’d be far more concerned regarding the players who didn’t react to the wildsmiths error. 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Different situations though, Windass was the one in the wrong so had no right to be slagging anyone off. Should have realised he messed up and held his hands up.

Agree that there’s been a massive void since Loovens left re captaincy though. 

I understand there's a difference, but "heat of the moment" isn't about a rational thought process. Many people are insctinctively defensive, even when in the wrong.

To celebrate a team captain heckling a teammate is bizarre. Yeah, it might happen, but it's not a good look, is it?

• Like 4

Both him and Dawson have not progressed in the way we might have expected over the last few years. Just speculation but losing Andy Rhodes as goalkeeping coach may not have helped them.

Not just Wildsmith at fault though our captain decides to charge at the player in possession allowing him to come into open space for the strike, and then sits of the man crossing the ball for the third.

Wildsmith could point to the fact that senior players in particular Reach, Bannan and Palmer all stand off and invite balls into the box. The other side of the coin is that if you close down to eagerly or try to pinch the ball you run the risk of bookings and a sending off.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Bannan just shouted what we all did when it initially happened. Anyone saying that Wildsmith was unlucky because it took a deflection needs to have another look. Goalkeepers work every day on there reactions, he had more than enough time to deal with it. Very poor goalkeeping.

Also very poor leadership from Bannan, not what you would expect from your captain at any level of the game.  Can you imagine the reaction had Bywater been in goal?

Guest wilyfox

I have defended our young keepers in recent seasons, but even my patience with them is wearing thin. They’re both of an age and level of senior experience now where there’s a demand for greater consistency from them. Either they step it up, or we find ourselves a new no.1 for next season.

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Disappointing that our captain/leader would rather criticise his teammates for mistakes rather than try and rally and support them.

For what it's worth I'm not sure Westwood would have dealt with the deflection any different. 

Should have laid nut on him never mind criticise ffs.