Bannan’s thoughts on Wildsmith save

Nice to see a bit of passion from our captain and he is absolutely spot on. It was another terrible blunder from a woeful goalkeeper who let his team mates down. Again.

The game was still very much in the balance then and the useless tool chucked another one in the net. 

Edited by edinburghowl
  • Like 4

Why didnt Bannan have a go at our defence for their lack positional awareness for some of the goals or even with himself for the lack of effort in trying to tackle the player for the second goal and not making any attempt to close down the player making the cross for the third? Maybe that might have been a bit too much for Barry Big Time to deal with.

• Haha 3

I wouldn’t read anything into it. When I used to play, I had a go at teammates and they’ve had a go at me - it happens. Wildsmith was wrong-footed by the deflection though and could do little about it. I would have just told Bannan to fvvck off and called him a greedy little tw4t and, my guess is that is what Wildsmith did. 

That was a pretty big error in the context of the season.

I would have been shouting the same thing. He's not a kid. 

The personal abuse isn't nice but how frustrating must it be to be working your butt off and the dodgy keeper feks it up again. He hasn't much credit in the bank. Wildsmith rarely influences games positively - usually its negatively. His lack of confidence and consistency is a part of why we are going down.

Fekkin twit.

He's not the only one though.

Edited by Nero

15 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Funny and true, but precisely why he’s not captain material. He’s got the short man syndrome and seems to enjoy having a pop at others on the pitch. 

TBH I'd be the same as Bannan, probably go and volley the ball in Wildsmith's face to see if he can stop that.

It's not like it is the first time Wildsmith has made a mistake like that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm presuming Liverpool wouldn't want to swap Aliison for Dawson or Wildsmith because despite his poor form recently, on the back of personal issues, he has proved himself at the top level.

Your comparison is unsurprising given your unerring support for 2 goalkeepers that are not good enough but it is frankly ridiculous. 

I’m not giving unerring support for any of our keepers but pointing out that goalkeeping “errors” are part and parcel of the game at every level from £80m premiership ones to ones that have come through the academy.

week in week out watch match of the day and EFL highlights and you will see at least half a dozen from keepers across all divisions which would lead many in here to demand they never play again if they supported that club.

I agree that keepers in the past, Hodge, Pressman, Springett etc seemed to make far less mistakes but the fact that there are a dozen examples every week tells me that something has changed. Saying the balls move more is possible an easy and convenient reason but something has.

7 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

TBH I'd be the same as Bannan, probably go and volley the ball in Wildsmith's face to see if he can stop that.

It's not like it is the first time Wildsmith has made a mistake like that.

If Bannan tried to volley the ball in Wildsmiths face he would more than likely miss. But Wildsmith could maybe show Bannan how to take a free kick, a corner, show him how to tackle or put a block in instead of constantly turning his back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I’m not giving unerring support for any of our keepers but pointing out that goalkeeping “errors” are part and parcel of the game at every level from £80m premiership ones to ones that have come through the academy.

week in week out watch match of the day and EFL highlights and you will see at least half a dozen from keepers across all divisions which would lead many in here to demand they never play again if they supported that club.

I agree that keepers in the past, Hodge, Pressman, Springett etc seemed to make far less mistakes but the fact that there are a dozen examples every week tells me that something has changed. Saying the balls move more is possible an easy and convenient reason but something has.

Do you think Wildsmith, Dawson or both are good enough keepers to be regular numbers 1's in a Championship side, or even a promotion challenging League One team? 

24 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe you think it's acceptable but it speaks volumes for the culture of this football club.

Not acceptable to shout at someone for a mistake in the heat of the moment?

Do you think Nigel Pearson was a good captain, or Viv Anderson, or Jose Semedo or Mick Lyons? 

Guest LondonOwl313
22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you think Nigel Pearson was a good captain, or Viv Anderson, or Jose Semedo or Mick Lyons? 

Having thought about it a bit more it depends on personalities. Even just playing 5 a side we’d all shout at each other when people made mistakes.. and sometimes the people shouting are the biggest culprits which is what some people in this thread are trying to say with Bannan, not that I agree.

But when someone has a right go sometimes it fires the player up and they concentrate more, which is good.. but other times it makes them go in their shell and makes the problem worse.

So with Wildsmith he probably needs encouragement rather than a rollicking as he must have thoughts that he’s not good enough, which he isn’t. Not that what he needs is relevant though because teammates are going to say what comes to mind immediately and not have chance to censor themselves. I kicked my beer over so Bannan’s reaction was basically what we were all thinking.

40 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Even back in their day they wouldn't have gone off in the same manner as Yosemite Sam. They would also have encouraged their team mates and earnt their respect.