Bannan’s thoughts on Wildsmith save

10 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Precisely. This is elite level sport it’s not amateur level, the standards are high and it’s cut throat

It’s literally people’s jobs that are at stake and next career steps on the line, and that goal all but confirmed where it’s heading. I’m not surprised he had a pop!

This is a SWFC message board, you must be a fan of another team.

• Haha 1

If he actually said what it sounds like then it's not what you'd expect from your captain, however it's what we were all thinking, might be an insight into the possibility that Bannan actually cares what happens. 

• Like 2

Anyone who’s played in goal at even an average level will tell you that’s awful goalkeeping even with the minimal deflection.

Body position all wrong, slow in adjusting and completely weak.

It should still be a simple catch yet alone save.

Our two backup keepers are capable of excellent saves at times (as are all league keepers), but my word they never get the basics right. Honestly at their age the mistakes are pathetic. Positioning, technique, basics and footwork have been severely lacking for years.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

It's fine Bannan having a go, but I'd be asking more question about the defending allowing the shot to come in in the first place. Why a miniature Scottish midfielder who was sublime against Cardiff was standing in a CB position marking no one at all instead of stopping the guy with the ball who had all the time in the world to line it up. Same for Hutch who took an age to come out and make an attempt to close down. 

They were all ******** twats yesterday, including bannan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Bannan just shouted what we all did when it initially happened. Anyone saying that Wildsmith was unlucky because it took a deflection needs to have another look. Goalkeepers work every day on there reactions, he had more than enough time to deal with it. Very poor goalkeeping.

He was flying across his goal in the opposite direction to the ball once it deflected and his momentum was taking him the wrong way.

You're basically saying he over committed to the initial shot which he'd have comfortably saved if it hadn't been deflected.

He got something on it. Maybe he could have done more. But frankly the poo defending in front of him from the midfielders back deserves more criticism.

********, the lot of them.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

He was flying across his goal in the opposite direction to the ball once it deflected and his momentum was taking him the wrong way.

You're basically saying he over committed to the initial shot which he'd have comfortably saved if it hadn't been deflected.

He got something on it. Maybe he could have done more. But frankly the poo defending in front of him from the midfielders back deserves more criticism.

********, the lot of them.

Think you need to watch it again if you think he was ‘flying’ across his goal. He literally took one step. Most keepers in most leagues would save it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Think you need to watch it again if you think he was ‘flying’ across his goal. He literally took one step. Most keepers in most leagues would save it. 

In the slow motion replay yesterday he was clearly sliding on his knees in the direction of the of the original shot. It's difficult to change direction when you are sliding.

Defending for the first was poo. Defending for the second was poo.

They were just poo like they have been all season.

I be glad to see the back of all of them in a few weeks. Hopefully DM brings in a team with a bit of fight and mental resilience.

• Haha 1

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

Our two backup keepers are capable of excellent saves at times (as are all league keepers), but my word they never get the basics right. Honestly at their age the mistakes are pathetic. Positioning, technique, basics and footwork have been severely lacking for years.

thats harsh on westwood he's been a good keeper and just because age as caught up with him doesnt warrant the pathetic comment ......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

thats harsh on westwood he's been a good keeper and just because age as caught up with him doesnt warrant the pathetic comment ......

Ok, I’m assuming you’re trolling or missing my point on purpose. I mean Dawson and Wildsmith. I’ve always been a big fan of Westwoods ability. I wanted both him and Kirkland to sign on free transfers long before we were even linked with them. The quality has always been there. It may be fading now. With our other two. The quality has never been there.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian said:

What's the Owlstalk goalkeeping experts Union members view on Allison's attempt to save Villa's first goal yesterday?

Presume you wouldn't have him here?

I'm presuming Liverpool wouldn't want to swap Aliison for Dawson or Wildsmith because despite his poor form recently, on the back of personal issues, he has proved himself at the top level.

Your comparison is unsurprising given your unerring support for 2 goalkeepers that are not good enough but it is frankly ridiculous.