Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

These “dinosaur”  and “football has moved on” comments make me laugh. As far as I’m aware football still remains a game played 11 v11 on a pitch that remains the same size, with 2 goals at each end.

The only thing that has “moved on” in the PL era is that players need to be athletes now, something that I’m sure all managers (excluding Carlos Carvalhal) are well aware of

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

These “dinosaur”  and “football has moved on” comments make me laugh. As far as I’m aware football still remains a game played 11 v11 on a pitch that remains the same size, with 2 goals at each end.

The only thing that has “moved on” in the PL era is that players need to be athletes now, something that I’m sure all managers (excluding Carlos Carvalhal) are well aware of

That and the insistence  of playing out from the beach regardless of the situation on field ... just like Southgate's England in the nations league in Portugal.

FWIW - I think TP May struggle regards our squad and his style but not entirely.

Amazing how in the space of a couple of months all the goodwill DC built up with the initial appointment of Bruce and then the way his departure was handled has been frittered away. Respect DC for everything he’s done for us but the man needs to realise he has to have a dialogue with the supporters, to leave everything dangling just leaves a void for people to fill with their own conjecture which is ultimately damaging.

I don’t care who it is if they get us winning. 

Premier League Manager of the Season 2013-14 and has a track record of doing very well when he arrives at new clubs. 

Got Stoke promoted after almost making play offs. Knows the Championship and the Premier League. 

Might not be the most exciting appointment but I think it would be a decent one given where we are now. 

A simple choice between Pulis and Bullen is a no brainier for me. Pulis every time. One is an experienced proven operator, the other quite frankly isn’t.

That said the suggestion that DC is going to give Bullen more time suggests DC’s hearts not in the club anymore and is probably looking for a way out? Someone who was more interested would be acting now IMO?

That story is horrendous on two levels. If DC is not aware hat Bullen is not up to job by now he must be only one in ground.

Second Pulis is well past his sell by date has struggled at last two clubs he has not amended style and everyone and his mother knows the way he plays and how to counter it. 

He needs to listen to views of fans and not agents who are shoving their difficult to move merchandise our way.

I think Nixon is close to Agents and think by circulating their views hopes to drum up interest I am sure it has worked in past.

DC gained a lot of good will over Bruce affair he will quickly lose this if not taking action soon.

the Only difference between the cowleys and Pulis is their name and age.

in style, one and the same. I saw Lincoln a couple of times live last season, including the top of the table clash with Mk dons. They are a well drilled, energetic outfit but are very direct . Very effective at that level , but no different to old Pulis style of launching it to a big man, having touchline wingers and a quick forward a la Fuller running on. 

Go to Lincoln, pay the compensation and get in a hungry team who will remake the club top to bottom and produce a football team who know how to win. They will sort out the egos, make an honest ppraisal of where we are and then start over with fresh eyes. Winners dont become losers overnight. They have a formula that works.....give them a chance to show us what they can do. It would leave Lincoln with a large sum to build on what they have achieved. It would bring in a team who know the players from the lower leagues....and there are gems out there...It would end the culture of 'who's scottish and available or are there any players who will disrupt the dressing room, get them quick' And it would give the team an identity and a makeover in the image of honest endeavour sprinkled with skill and flair, and who woukd not want that. We can't get worse, lets get better, this forum should be screaming out to DC to get on the phone to Lincoln, it's our best chance of success. I know they want the job, just don't want to leave their supportive employers and fans in the lurch....contrast that with all those other failed has beens who would see us as simply a stepping stone to another shot at the big time, wouldn't matter if we were fifth and contenders, if the premier league come knocking they would be off. Lets go for integrity and promise, rather than shop soiled money grubbers whose achievements are all behind them.

Edited by swissmess
  • Like 1

Look at the reaction by a lot of Newcastle fans and wider media to Bruce joining Newcastle.

They reckon his style is awful, more so than his record as a manager.

Did we have a problem with his style? Nope. Taking away he screwed us over he was a perfect fit.

Does Pulis have an unfair reputation for being hoof ball too? I'm all for direct - if it leads to goals then so be it.

Maybe I'm just getting desperate.

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, I think we'd be naïve to believe that Bruce's only reason for leaving was the opportunity to manage his hometown club.

I'd be reluctant to put Chansiri in charge of a coconut shy.

Managers like Bruce and Pulis have got parachute written all over them, and we don't have the ackers.

If Chansiri does want Pulis, then he's probably going to take some persuading.

And he's not the sort of bloke to sell himself short either.

Why insult the Chairman

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

To play devil's advocate here, Pulis' last 20 years have been a sight more successful than ours.

We haven't kicked a ball in the PL for almost two decades, we've no money, and based on yesterday's efforts we're bob.

We're a club synonymous with failure, underachievement and mismanagement, stimulated from the top.

Glancing at his pedigree, I'd say that it would be somewhat of a coup were we to land him.

Pulis is another Megson.

The football's poor but effective.

At the very least we'd end up with a team which is a cohesive unit, and one composed of players with grit.

It's very difficult for a non-parachute club to go up without those attributes.

And let's not forget, Jones may have got us over the line playing a more entertaining brand of football than that of Megson, but it was Megson's players playing it.

Likewise, even if Pulis didn't get us up, he'd pave the way for someone else to do it.

As I remember it the football under Megson was dire, as well as unsuccessful.