Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

To play devil's advocate here, Pulis' last 20 years have been a sight more successful than ours.

We haven't kicked a ball in the PL for almost two decades, we've no money, and based on yesterday's efforts we're bob.

We're a club synonymous with failure, underachievement and mismanagement, stimulated from the top.

Glancing at his pedigree, I'd say that it would be somewhat of a coup were we to land him.

Pulis is another Megson.

The football's poor but effective.

At the very least we'd end up with a team which is a cohesive unit, and one composed of players with grit.

It's very difficult for a non-parachute club to go up without those attributes.

And let's not forget, Jones may have got us over the line playing a more entertaining brand of football than that of Megson, but it was Megson's players playing it.

Likewise, even if Pulis didn't get us up, he'd pave the way for someone else to do it.

Edited by Athelwulf
  • Like 1

How would fans feel if Pulis bought Megson in as his assistant like he’s done in the past?

Would that make you more receptive to the idea?

Under Megson I thought we played some decent stuff to be fair and enjoyed watching us play. We played direct but Megson bought in the likes of Marshall, Antonio and Lines (hardly suited to a side just playing long ball) and in a few interviews has described Forestieri as the best player in the league.

Could a Pulis and Megson combination get the best out of Forestieri? Would they really be that terrible to watch?

Not  necessarily my views but just trying to look at this from another angle to see what fans think?    

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

To play devil's advocate here, Pulis' last 20 years have been a sight more successful than ours.

We haven't kicked a ball in the PL for almost two decades, we've no money, and based on yesterday's efforts we're bob.

We're a club synonymous with failure, underachievement and mismanagement, stimulated from the top.

Glancing at his pedigree, I'd say that it would be somewhat of a coup were we to land him.

Pulis is another Megson.

The football's poor but effective.

At the very least we'd end up with a team which is a cohesive unit, and one composed of players with grit.

It's very difficult for a non-parachute club to go up without those attributes.

And let's not forget, Jones may have got us over the line playing a more entertaining brand of football than that of Megson, but it was Megson's players playing it.

Likewise, even if Pulis didn't get us up, he'd pave the way for someone else to do it.

Agree entirely with this!

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

How would fans feel if Pulis bought Megson in as his assistant like he’s done in the past?

Would that make you more receptive to the idea?

Under Megson I thought we played some decent stuff to be fair and enjoyed watching us play. We played direct but Megson bought in the likes of Marshall, Antonio and Lines (hardly suited to a side just playing long ball) and in a few interviews has described Forestieri as the best player in the league.

Could a Pulis and Megson combination get the best out of Forestieri? Would they really be that terrible to watch?

Not  necessarily my views but just trying to look at this from another angle to see what fans think?    

Although I dont want Pulis. I believe if he was appointed with Megson at least we would have an identity. Because for the last 3 seasons we haven't! We just dont have any sort of plan when things go south nor do we have a successful way of playing to use consistently! Maybe under both we would have a identity not necessarily pretty but effective maybe? 

Pulis shouldn’t be under consideration. Our playing squad is not suited to his playing style. 

Im sure he would toughen us up and that is our main weakness at the moment but we have footballers at the club but Pulis prefers giants and cloggers. 

Go and get Rowett for Christ’s sake. 

Just now, JOHNHARKES said:

Although I dont want Pulis. I believe if he was appointed with Megson at least we would have an identity. Because for the last 3 seasons we haven't! We just dont have any sort of plan when things go south nor do we have a successful way of playing to use consistently! Maybe under both we would have a identity not necessarily pretty but effective maybe? 

Agreed mate.

I definitely think that if he were to bring Megson in as his assistant it would help sell the move to the fans.

• Like 1

Guest Ferkorf

The Owls made a discrete check on Pulis’ interest when Steve Bruce walked out for Newcastle, but he was not keen.

Discrete or Discreet?

and he was not keen? so we are going begging a guy who isn't keen....

if we are doing that maybe we should go begging at hughtons door

Let’s have a look at his record shall we-

2005/06 Plymouth- took over with them near the bottom of the championship, led them to mid table finish in his only season

2007/08. Stoke- promoted after 22 years out of the top league by finishing 2nd in the championship 

2008/09. 12th in the PL 

2009/10. 11th in PL

2010/11. 13th in PL, plus guided Stoke to their first FA cup final

2011/12. 14 in PL, Plus played in Europa league 

2012/13. 13th in PL

2013/14. Steered palace away from relegation zone and finished 11th in PL, winning the Premier League manager of the year award 

2014/15 Finished 10th in his only full season at WBA

Great record over the last 15 years buts let’s forget all that because he didn’t do well at Middlesbrough, who in actual fact finished 7th on 73 points, which is only 1 short of our total of 74 under CC in 2016/16

Id take him in a heartbeat, this club needs dragging back to the Premier League by any means necessary, and I couldn’t give a t0ss if it’s not pretty

• Thanks 2

:biggrin:— fans “we need real experience” .. Pulis gets linked ... fan reaction - oh he’s a has been .... so I guess too much experience .. 

:biggrin:- some fans ... It’s all DC fault? That’s why Bruce left .. nothing to do with instant PL football and his boyhood club...

promise were not kept.. DC get us out of a soft embargo and spends 60 million giving us a new fresh budget while trading and bringing in new players ... but promises were not kept is the story ?????!!!

The only thing we know is DC went for Houghton the best on the market and he doesn’t want it.. the next high calibre manager is Pulis and he’s not keen (probably because the squad would need an overhaul for his style )Rowett now excites me FWIW but DC looking for achievement and I can see why TP appeals .. he’s appealed to WBA and Boro..

Edited by dowls

1 minute ago, dowls said:

:biggrin:— fans “we need real experience” .. Pulis gets linked ... fan reaction - oh he’s a has been .... so I guess too much experience .. 

:biggrin:- some fans ... It’s all DC fault? That’s why Bruce left .. nothing to do with instant PL football and his boyhood club...

promise were not kept.. DC get us out of a soft embargo and spends 60 million giving us a new a new fresh budget while trading and bringing in new players ... but promises were not kept us the story ?????!!!

The only thing we know is DC went for Houghton the best on the market and he doesn’t want it.. the next high calibre manager is Pulis and he’s not keen.. Rowett now excites me FWIW but DC looking for achievement and I can see why TP appeals .. he’s appealed to WBA and Boro..

HUGHTON FFS.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Pulis shouldn’t be under consideration. Our playing squad is not suited to his playing style. 

Im sure he would toughen us up and that is our main weakness at the moment but we have footballers at the club but Pulis prefers giants and cloggers. 

Go and get Rowett for Christ’s sake. 

Anyone actually worked out what our playing style is at the moment.

As stated above what is our identity. To me it is a bunch of individuals who occasionally resemble a team. 

I want someone to come in and stamp a pass and move type game on us. There is the odd fleeting glimpse amongst a sea of garbage

2 hours ago, bobness said:

Did he not suggest that promises weren't kept?

I think he wanted out, and I'm not convinced it was just to fulfill his boyhood fantasy...

Bruce left for Steve Bruce. No broken promises. Look at his statements when he arrived he knew the position we were in. Bruce has a history of jumping ship look at his career. We had no special attraction for him and he negotiated with the fat man Ashley for a way out. It was hardly a guarded secret our financial position.