Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

14 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Going about things the wrong way if we hire Pulis. We should be hiring someone with a long term strategy to imprint their style and culture on the club. Like Norwich did with Farke and Hudds with Wagner.  Maybe we tried it with Jos but we backed the wrong horse. When he drops our best players, plays a team with no forwards, and players like Bannan scream at the bench that they don’t know what they’re doing, it’s probably not the person to build a long term strategy with 

Huddersfield with Wagner? The team who fluked promotion on a negative goal difference, was the least memorable team in the history of the Prem and now joint bottom of the Championship, all while playing dire football? I don’t think we should look at them as a model to copy 

• Haha 3

One of my best mates is a Boro season ticket holder of many years standing. He says Pulis negative, boring tactics stank the place out and the fans couldn’t wait to see the back of him. 

On paper he has a reasonable record and I can see why that might be attractive to the chairman, however it’s a hard no from me.

1 minute ago, Magic Rat said:

One of my best mates is a Boro season ticket holder of many years standing. He says Pulis negative, boring tactics stank the place out and the fans couldn’t wait to see the back of him. 

On paper he has a reasonable record and I can see why that might be attractive to the chairman, however it’s a hard no from me.

Ironically, his spell at Boro was the highest average points per game Pulis has had at a club in his entire managerial career. And they still loathe him and his negative football which says it all about him. 

9 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Huddersfield with Wagner? The team who fluked promotion on a negative goal difference, was the least memorable team in the history of the Prem and now joint bottom of the Championship, all while playing dire football? I don’t think we should look at them as a model to copy 

He got them up and kept them up before he had the opportunity really to imprint an identity and style of play on a side that were always going to be nailed on for humiliation and we was never going to get what he needed to push on with them and dispite everything he had done for them they kicked him to the curb at the first sign of trouble and are paying for that now. I think Huddersfield while technically his start and foot in the door to greater things will be but a footnote on his wiki page come the end of his career. He clearly has something about him.

Edited by TrueOwl

22 minutes ago, alanharper said:

His "dire and unsuccessful" football took us from the bottom half of L1 to the top 4 in a year, with the team built that won automatic promotion.

We haven't exactly been great to watch since 2016 when we've gone the opposite way from top 4 to a mid table team have we? 

To be fair it was 2017 that we finished 4th in this division. Yes the football wasn't as good to watch as it was at times in 2015-16 but you are talking about it being effective. 

We should never have been bottom half of League One in the first place so Megson at least had something to work with when he came in. It was effective to a point but when it wasn't working it was dire. He pulled something out of the hat to win the derby but the other games around that time suggested we wouldn't make top 2 and were right to part company at that point.

The Stevenage home game was one of the worst matches in terms of quality I have ever seen, the winning goal summed it up and how we played against Exeter, Chesterfield and Rochdale at that time wasn't much better.

We have an obsession with Megson on here which judging by the amount of managerial work he has had since we parted company, not many other clubs seem to have. 

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Anyone actually worked out what our playing style is at the moment.

As stated above what is our identity. To me it is a bunch of individuals who occasionally resemble a team. 

I want someone to come in and stamp a pass and move type game on us. There is the odd fleeting glimpse amongst a sea of garbage

Totally agree. Thats why I want a new manager in as I’ve got absolutely no clue what we are trying to do. Defensively we look solid but our brand of football and attacking play is dreadful. No plan or tactical nous. 

We have a talented group of players at our disposal and we should be doing better. Forget top 2 but this group should be attempting to get a top 6 place. We are absolutely miles off at the moment. It’s been a gentle start, fixtures wise, and we are making hard work of it.

10 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Yeah it would be terrible after 20 years if someone gets us promoted in their first full season in charge. Then keeps us in the premier league in the first season. So what we’re saying is we must get promoted AND stay up forever? Tough gig 

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

the Only difference between the cowleys and Pulis is their name and age.

in style, one and the same. I saw Lincoln a couple of times live last season, including the top of the table clash with Mk dons. They are a well drilled, energetic outfit but are very direct . Very effective at that level , but no different to old Pulis style of launching it to a big man, having touchline wingers and a quick forward a la Fuller running on. 

Not sure about that.

Do they play centre-backs in the full-back positions and play for 1-0's at home and 0-0's away? Don't remember them drawing 0-0 that often in the past couple of seasons or not scoring themselves that often.

They may have a direct style, nothing wrong with that if it is effective and is played with intent to win rather than to not get beat which I think is where there is a significant difference.

3 hours ago, Stoop said:

These “dinosaur”  and “football has moved on” comments make me laugh. As far as I’m aware football still remains a game played 11 v11 on a pitch that remains the same size, with 2 goals at each end.

The only thing that has “moved on” in the PL era is that players need to be athletes now, something that I’m sure all managers (excluding Carlos Carvalhal) are well aware of

I think it must have changed from my day, we only had 1 goal at each end not 2.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This would be me just about done with Wednesday. 

You make some decent post and then come out with this rubbish.

How long have you been supporting Wednesday for?

In the last 15 years alone we have spent 4 years in division 3 including our 2nd worst finish in our league history but appointing Tony Pulis as manager when we are mid-table in division 2 would see you chuck it in?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of managers who I would be prepared to see us appoint ahead of him, ones that are cheaper and actually want the job but I wouldn't walk away if we did appoint him.

Looks like a bit of fishing from Nixon anyway, appears to have been written prior to yesterdays game as it doing specifically mention recent results and says, 'if' things don't go to plan under Bullen - that is clearly already happening. He may get a fair few things right but he also knows how to generate click-bait. Wasn't his last position on our managerial situation that we were going to appoint someone from abroad about a month ago?

21 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You make some decent post and then come out with this rubbish.

How long have you been supporting Wednesday for?

In the last 15 years alone we have spent 4 years in division 3 including our 2nd worst finish in our league history but appointing Tony Pulis as manager when we are mid-table in division 2 would see you chuck it in?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of managers who I would be prepared to see us appoint ahead of him, ones that are cheaper and actually want the job but I wouldn't walk away if we did appoint him.

Looks like a bit of fishing from Nixon anyway, appears to have been written prior to yesterdays game as it doing specifically mention recent results and says, 'if' things don't go to plan under Bullen - that is clearly already happening. He may get a fair few things right but he also knows how to generate click-bait. Wasn't his last position on our managerial situation that we were going to appoint someone from abroad about a month ago?

I’d still go, but enthusiasm and passion for it would be completely drained.

Club needs big changes. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d still go, but enthusiasm and passion for it would be completely drained.

Club needs big changes. 

So to clarify, 'just about done with Wednesday' means you would still go to matches? :ghoulguy:

2 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

Please.....not Pauli’s. Need a huge change. Only know the Crowley’s from Lincoln but can’t argue with their achievements.

Steve Bruce went to the Toon.

Jos Luhukay went to St. Pauli.

Anyone who's studied classical languages will know that Toon Pauli is Latin for Tony Pulis.

pulis.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3