Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

7 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Same as the likes of Ollie. Several years ago, they'd have been ideal but they haven't done anything of note for years. It would make more sense in our situation after Bruce to be more forward thinking and to follow Villa's suit when they replaced him with someone on the rise in Dean Smith.

Dean Smith was not deemed good enough for Wed's by some fans on here.

I wanted him 2 years ago, but then I wanted Bruce as soon as he walked out on Dull City 3 years ago.

Just think who we could bring in on the same wedge. We need to go left field and make a Bielsa type transformative appointment. Joss was pure crap sure, admittedly going continental or south American is always going to come with risk, I just hope DC does some serious research and the plan isn't just give it Bully till it goes boobies up.

I'm hoping we are doing our homework which is the reason for this delay not that we're entertaining the thought of scouring through the old championship rolodex if the poo hits the fan. We need to think more Newells old boys than the championship old boys we're seemingly tapping up.

Where is our Bielsa? The kind of target i'd like to see is somebody with experience like Beilsa somebody like Gerado Martino who if we could poach it could be a game-changer and put us on the map again as a footballing side.

Here is an overview of his tactical style at Atlanta United:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerardo_Martino

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

GET READY FOR A SERVER OVERLOAD NEIL. 

'kin 'ell, there'll be some lemons sucked if that goes ahead. I might pack work in just to read owlstalk fulltime. 

:tango::tango::tango: here's some piccies of tango for those not already up in arms.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Let’s have a look at his record shall we-

2005/06 Plymouth- took over with them near the bottom of the championship, led them to mid table finish in his only season

2007/08. Stoke- promoted after 22 years out of the top league by finishing 2nd in the championship 

2008/09. 12th in the PL 

2009/10. 11th in PL

2010/11. 13th in PL, plus guided Stoke to their first FA cup final

2011/12. 14 in PL, Plus played in Europa league 

2012/13. 13th in PL

2013/14. Steered palace away from relegation zone and finished 11th in PL, winning the Premier League manager of the year award 

2014/15 Finished 10th in his only full season at WBA

Great record over the last 15 years buts let’s forget all that because he didn’t do well at Middlesbrough, who in actual fact finished 7th on 73 points, which is only 1 short of our total of 74 under CC in 2016/16

Id take him in a heartbeat, this club needs dragging back to the Premier League by any means necessary, and I couldn’t give a t0ss if it’s not pretty

To be fair his first year he got them to 5th at Middlesbrough. Then he was made to sell captain Ben Gibson, Adama Traore and Bamford. Not a huge surprise losing 3 players of that ability they didn’t improve on 5th. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

As I remember it the football under Megson was dire, as well as unsuccessful.

football under megson was 'snookered' by 'second rate' transfers.

mm wasn't up for spending to build a side for anything other that the one promotion, I don't blame him for that, and I fully understand his goals.

what I cannot agree with is blaming megson for not being seen to succeed whilst obviously having his hands tied. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

the Only difference between the cowleys and Pulis is their name and age.

in style, one and the same. I saw Lincoln a couple of times live last season, including the top of the table clash with Mk dons. They are a well drilled, energetic outfit but are very direct . Very effective at that level , but no different to old Pulis style of launching it to a big man, having touchline wingers and a quick forward a la Fuller running on. 

Absolute tripe.

They played Everton the other night on TV and lost 4-2  They had big centre forward but nothing like Pulis tactics. You have spouted this rubbish on here before, go and look at coaching videos on you tube and reports on styles. They vary their style depending on opposition they play. If style they play is so ineffective why have they had success against clubs from Premiership and Championship in cup competitions. Everton played full team against them and both teams played well.

Do some research instead of putting up false information.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Pulis is on his way out managerially. Boro fans hated him and so do WBA fans. Plus the players we have at our disposal don’t suit his style of play whatsoever. 

Rowett openly wants the job and is a far better option. 

But to be fair... both clubs haven’t exactly improved since Pulis left.

Middlesbrough finishing 5th and 7th under him but this season look awful at the back and only managed 1 win. West Brom in his last full season in 16/17 he got them to 10th in the Premier league. 

Think he’s the only domestic name that the club would go for, championship experience with a PL promotion 

Aside from that we will probably get a foreigner 

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Think he’s the only domestic name that the club would go for, championship experience with a PL promotion 

Aside from that we will probably get a foreigner 

I don't think dc is for gambling anymore with uk based mangers, if he isn't a 'proven' one then it's likely the continental or south american roulette wheel for us again.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Dean Smith was not deemed good enough for Wed's by some fans on here.

I wanted him 2 years ago, but then I wanted Bruce as soon as he walked out on Dull City 3 years ago.

Same I’ve said Smith since Carlos left think he would have came before villa to. 

28 minutes ago, Quist said:

Absolute tripe.

They played Everton the other night on TV and lost 4-2  They had big centre forward but nothing like Pulis tactics. You have spouted this rubbish on here before, go and look at coaching videos on you tube and reports on styles. They vary their style depending on opposition they play. If style they play is so ineffective why have they had success against clubs from Premiership and Championship in cup competitions. Everton played full team against them and both teams played well.

Do some research instead of putting up false information.

It isn’t ineffective.

it is very effective. 

But it is direct football. I have no issues with direct football. Some do.

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

It isn’t ineffective.

it is very effective. 

Neither do i, but your right in that some people do , especially down S6 1SW way 

Just now, mcmigo said:

It isn’t ineffective.

it is very effective. 

They do not play same style as him. They may have in few games but have far more different approach. Just look at highlights of Everton game. Your are completely wrong sying they are same as him. I do not like Pulis style because it is always same and he has now been worked out. They understand need to change for each opponent. There are very good videos where they explain tactics they have used in games. Numerous articles on subject. They are very good and would do well. I think they are heading to Huddersfield unless we get our finger out and bring them here.

1 hour ago, Fast Forward said:

As I remember it the football under Megson was dire, as well as unsuccessful.

His "dire and unsuccessful" football took us from the bottom half of L1 to the top 4 in a year, with the team built that won automatic promotion.

We haven't exactly been great to watch since 2016 when we've gone the opposite way from top 4 to a mid table team have we? 

Going about things the wrong way if we hire Pulis. We should be hiring someone with a long term strategy to imprint their style and culture on the club. Like Norwich did with Farke and Hudds with Wagner.  Maybe we tried it with Jos but we backed the wrong horse. When he drops our best players, plays a team with no forwards, and players like Bannan scream at the bench that they don’t know what they’re doing, it’s probably not the person to build a long term strategy with