Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

4 hours ago, Lincowl said:

This has always been made pretty clear, if Bullen slips up then Pulis will be brought in as the Doyen represented client. The likes of Rowett were never even interviewed.

Would like to see Bullen backed with some experienced staff to replace the three Steves first.

What "experienced staff" would attach themselves to a managerial neophyte like Lee Bullen?

• Like 1

A friend of mine was a board member at Palace. He said Pulin was on £50k a week. However, his training staff cost a fortune. He has numerous coaches, a psychologist, nutritionist, etc...

What support does Bullen have? What did Stuart Gray have?

Maybe money would be better spent on coaching staff.

2 hours ago, bobness said:

Bruce's departure may have raised a few flags as well. Bruce implied that things weren't quite right, and to be fair, from the outside things do look a bit Mickey Mouse. 

My feeling is that we need a shake up at the executive level. DC must hire real football pros, and then take a step back, or else he's going to continue spunking money down the drain. 

Yes, I think we'd be naïve to believe that Bruce's only reason for leaving was the opportunity to manage his hometown club.

I'd be reluctant to put Chansiri in charge of a coconut shy.

Managers like Bruce and Pulis have got parachute written all over them, and we don't have the ackers.

If Chansiri does want Pulis, then he's probably going to take some persuading.

And he's not the sort of bloke to sell himself short either.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bobness said:

Did he not suggest that promises weren't kept?

I think he wanted out, and I'm not convinced it was just to fulfill his boyhood fantasy...

I’ve not seen a direct quote. Perhaps a suggestion here and there by his pals in the media.

But let’s not use Bruce as the stick to beat the club/Chansiri with. Bruce just did what Bruce has done on other occasions - left for a bigger job and a bigger pay packet. 

I dont think there are deep rooted issues at the club. The same theory’s were chucked around when Jos was here, but bringing in a good manager turned things around. We’re at that place again. Club / Chansiri was investing in Bruce to build something here, to give it a bit of an overhaul from the support staff to the playing staff. He was able to bring in his own people, including those on the recruitment side. 

Edited by bigdan2003

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Nixon is just making it up this week.

Hope so, hate Pulis with a passion, added to which, sounds expensive and poo football. 

I'd have very little interest watching one of his teams. Would be the worst decision DC's made if anything in it. 

11 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I’ve not seen a direct quote. Perhaps a suggestion here and there by his pals in the media.

But let’s not use Bruce as the stick to beat the club/Chansiri with. Bruce just did what Bruce has done on other occasions - left for a bigger job and a bigger pay packet. 

I dont think there are deep rooted issues at the club. The same theory’s were chucked around when Jos was here, but bringing in a good manager turned things around. We’re at that place again. Club / Chansiri was investing in Bruce to build something here, to give it a bit of an overhaul from the support staff to the playing staff. He was able to bring in his own people, including those on the recruitment side.

Perhaps it was some rubbish I read on here, sprinkled with a bit of confirmation bias.

I recall reading that Bruce is actually on less at Newcastle than he was here, but could make more if he keeps them up. 

On the topic of pay, DC appears to be fixated on hiring managers on one-year deals. Could such terms turn off potential candidates? The one-year contract approach seems a bit daft to me, unless you're not too bothered about a long term plan. 

1 hour ago, bobness said:

Did he not suggest that promises weren't kept?

I think he wanted out, and I'm not convinced it was just to fulfill his boyhood fantasy...

No, he didn’t say that.

There were some rumours that leaked prior to him resigning, but that was all part of the massaging that was being done 

1 minute ago, striker said:

Hope so, hate Pulis with a passion, added to which, sounds expensive and poo football. 

I'd have very little interest watching one of his teams. Would be the worst decision DC's made if anything in it. 

Me neither. Hard enough to get excited watching them under Bullen never mind Pulis. It would be absolutely dreadful.

There’s defo something in this. Down at the Reading game, DC didn’t discount Tony Pulis when @handworth52 was speaking with him before the game. 

I am sure DC has already spoken with Pulis but he was hoping Bullen could get the results so he could save some money.  Paxo also has links to Pulis as well.

Personally, like many on here, I don’t want him and I think it would be a very poor appointment. His football is archaic and his style certainly would not suit our current crop of players. I’d go for Rowett - he’s available and he wants the job. He’s also young and energetic. He’s not the perfect appointment but it’s probably the best out of a bad bunch.

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

There’s defo something in this. Down at the Reading game, DC didn’t discount Tony Pulis when @handworth52 was speaking with him before the game. 

I am sure DC has already spoken with Pulis but he was hoping Bullen could get the results so he could save some money.  Paxo also has links to Pulis as well.

Personally, like many on here, I don’t want him and I think it would be a very poor appointment. His football is archaic and his style certainly would not suit our current crop of players. I’d go for Rowett - he’s available and he wants the job. He’s also young and energetic. He’s not the perfect appointment but it’s probably the best out of a bad bunch.

I'm not the only one that knew  there is  / was  unfortunately

I hope and don't think it'll happen for a couple of reasons - but I despair I really do,  you'd have to support pulis as the man in charge but feck me it's going dark 

Mixed feelings about this story if it’s true.

Firstly it says ‘if Bullen slips up’ which is hugely disappointing as it suggests we are going to waste more time on a manager who is taking us backwards. This would be typical Chansiri given how long he kept Luhukay in a job after it was clear he was useless and didn’t have a clue. 

Secondly it it sounds like he’s not even that interested and would take some convincing and a hefty wage to get him here when you’ve got Rowett and Holloway who are both openly interested in the job and would be a much better fit. This explains a lot, it explains why Chansiri hired Luhukay and Carlos, for me I just don’t think he’s very good at hiring managers.

Taking the above into account however, the poor performances since the Barnsley match have really got me worried about where we are going under Bullen and the thought of going down to Hillsborough to watch a Wednesday side managed by him  again is so deflating that I’m almost at the point where as long as Bullen isn’t in charge I don’t mind who the manager is.

It’s not ideal but it’ll be better than keeping Bullen on.

6 hours ago, Lincowl said:

This has always been made pretty clear, if Bullen slips up then Pulis will be brought in as the Doyen represented client. The likes of Rowett were never even interviewed.

Would like to see Bullen backed with some experienced staff to replace the three Steves first.

Problem with that is we just dont have time to give bullen another 5 games while some othe coaches come in. Sorry to say I think the managers job is beyond him.

Hat for him to leave the club but if he wants to be a manager needs to learn the ropes under an experienced one here or apply for some lower league vacancies in management.

Personally would like to see him stay here as a coach

• Like 1