Tony Pulis - Nixon Story

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

All these people clamouring for Danny Cowley , do you really think Hillsborough is the place for a young upcoming manager ? Who’s never managed at this level and will undoubtedly make a few mistakes ?  God forbid could even end up like Nathan Jones at Stoke , your asking Chansiri to take the chance but need to remember it’s Chansiri you will all have pitchforks out for if it was to end up like a situation stoke now have with Jones 

This club needs a firm experienced hand

Brenda who joins us up Greno woods on saturday nights will give you a firm experienced hamd .

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Unfortunately in at least 3 of our performances so far this season, what you are paying for currently is worse than what you describe Pulis will be like. Barely had a shot on target at Preston until it was too late, failed to score against 10 men in over 45 munutes at Millwall and had two shots on target at home to QPR in what was a complete tactical disaster. 

I know ive been to every game and im very worried already where the season is going ,not sure whats chansiri's thinking at min ,to an experinced owner he would know he has to act now and get someone decent in. Ive spoke to middlesborough supporters and lets not go there regards pullis ,jurassic park must be 1 of your fav films if u want pullis as he is a dinosaur with a cap.

12 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Yeah it would be terrible after 20 years if someone gets us promoted in their first full season in charge. Then keeps us in the premier league in the first season. So what we’re saying is we must get promoted AND stay up forever? Tough gig 

Nope that’s not what I’m saying at all, I’m just saying it was quite obviously all a massive fluke and it’s hardly worth looking at it as a model to copy if we’re talking about specific long term strategies 

17 hours ago, Stoop said:

Let’s have a look at his record shall we-

2005/06 Plymouth- took over with them near the bottom of the championship, led them to mid table finish in his only season

2007/08. Stoke- promoted after 22 years out of the top league by finishing 2nd in the championship 

2008/09. 12th in the PL 

2009/10. 11th in PL

2010/11. 13th in PL, plus guided Stoke to their first FA cup final

2011/12. 14 in PL, Plus played in Europa league 

2012/13. 13th in PL

2013/14. Steered palace away from relegation zone and finished 11th in PL, winning the Premier League manager of the year award 

2014/15 Finished 10th in his only full season at WBA

Great record over the last 15 years buts let’s forget all that because he didn’t do well at Middlesbrough, who in actual fact finished 7th on 73 points, which is only 1 short of our total of 74 under CC in 2016/16

Id take him in a heartbeat, this club needs dragging back to the Premier League by any means necessary, and I couldn’t give a t0ss if it’s not pretty

Thing is things have move on quite significantly since then in the Prem and Champ, unfortunately for Pulis he hasn’t. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I don't get this rounduns, football has moved, has it feck, football is football.

As our lord says, it's all about winning.

Technically the game has moved on - this is without doubt.  Not many long ball merchants and old school managers doing well. 

Happy to be proved wrong though. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

22 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Technically the game has moved on - this is without doubt.  Not many long ball merchants and old school managers doing well. 

Happy to be proved wrong though. 

Look at what Pulis did in the Prem, he took teams like Stoke, Crystal Palace, West Brom and gave them a chance.

I hate to admit it but pig face across the city is doing it.

Football has gotten stupid with all this foreignshite, sometimes playing in a more bullish unattractive give lesser teams a bit of an advantage.

I spoke to a West Brom fan at work today and told him about our link to Pulis, his exact words were "his football is poo but give him 2 seasons and he will get you up".

22 hours ago, Stoop said:

2005/06 Plymouth- took over with them near the bottom of the championship, led them to mid table finish in his only season

2007/08. Stoke- promoted after 22 years out of the top league by finishing 2nd in the championship 

2008/09. 12th in the PL 

2009/10. 11th in PL

2012/13. 13th in PL

2013/14. Steered palace away from relegation zone and finished 11th in PL, winning the Premier League manager of the year award 

Great record over the last 15 years buts let’s forget all that because he didn’t do well at Middlesbrough, who in actual fact finished 7th on 73 points, which is only 1 short of our total of 74 under CC in 2016/16

Id take him in a heartbeat, this club needs dragging back to the Premier League by any means necessary, and I couldn’t give a t0ss if it’s not pretty

Is it really that great though? 

Last promoted 11 years ago, football has evolved he hasn't. What's he done since 2014? If he's so good, why weren't Middlesbrough promoted  considering their significant financial advantage?

Surviving in the premier league is an achievement, but you can exist drinking your own wee wee, most would prefer at least water or even something more exciting. 

I'll accept his disruptive, backwards football was reasonably competitive in the past, but he's been a failure for almost 5 years,  what makes us think this is a credible reason to expect him to replicate promotion he last achieved 11 years ago and failed to achieve with boro with a significantly bigger budget. 

Do we want to pretend its 2008 and drink wee wee or look forward to 2020 and beyond?

Marco Beilsa and his contemporaries' tactics and ideas will continue be studied and *adapted* by protégés and their competitors at the elite level for decades. Tony Pulis not so much.

Age has nothing to do with it, it's Pulis's tactics or rather lack there-of-that make him a dinosaur not his age. I'll give him his set pieces but is that what you want for this football club? Four 6 ft 6 CB in midfield playing head tennis whenever they're not getting battered by an actual football side.

Edited by TrueOwl

On 01/09/2019 at 02:16, Lincowl said:

Would like to see Bullen backed with some experienced staff to replace the three Steves first.

I  think this needs to happen - bring in an experienced assistant, even an ex manager to help him along and some experienced coaches.

Most of hte backroom staff have been promoted from within

In my opinion, Pulis is unfortunately what we need at this moment in time. I think we need someone who will be bring some organisation to the defence and set us up to make it uncomfortable for the opposition. Also his no nonsense attitude would give the players something to think about that if they put in average performances there will be no guarantee of a start the game after, something which I think Bullen has failed to do.

13 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Marco Beilsa and his contemporaries' tactics and ideas will continue be studied and *adapted* by protégés and their competitors at the elite level for decades. Tony Pulis not so much.

Age has nothing to do with it, it's Pulis's tactics or rather lack there-of-that make him a dinosaur not his age. I'll give him his set pieces but is that what you want for this football club? Four 6 ft 6 CB in midfield playing head tennis whenever they're not getting battered by an actual football side.

All this about Bielsa and his tactics/philosophy, what has he actually achieved? Yes managed some big clubs but hes hardly brought silverware to some of them, even them lot down the M1 failed last season. 

On 01/09/2019 at 08:55, Stoop said:

2008/09. 12th in the PL 

2009/10. 11th in PL

2012/13. 13th in PL

Exactly !!!      UTO 

On 02/09/2019 at 07:53, striker said:

Is it really that great though? 

Last promoted 11 years ago, football has evolved he hasn't. What's he done since 2014? If he's so good, why weren't Middlesbrough promoted  considering their significant financial advantage?

Surviving in the premier league is an achievement, but you can exist drinking your own wee wee, most would prefer at least water or even something more exciting. 

I'll accept his disruptive, backwards football was reasonably competitive in the past, but he's been a failure for almost 5 years,  what makes us think this is a credible reason to expect him to replicate promotion he last achieved 11 years ago and failed to achieve with boro with a significantly bigger budget. 

Do we want to pretend its 2008 and drink wee wee or look forward to 2020 and beyond?

What is this whole football has evolved b0llox? Is it a new football hipster saying? What exactly has it evolved into?

I look at the career record @Stoop has posted - the 'highlights' - and can't help thinking "The Delap Years"

Goals bundled in from corners and the opposition scared to give away throw-ins

ugh

Obviously had to change things around at Boro, so Plan B: Drill his players in how to work the ref for 90mins

Which, coincidentally, also seems to be Alex Neil's No.1 tactic