New Stadium

1 hour ago, 31Dec1966 said:

The word "twerp" is not used nearly enough these days.  "Chump" is another one. Bring back twerp and chump I say.

And, for what it's worth I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I am going to use the term “chump” some time soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andytrig said:

From a purely selfish point of view, a new stadium in this Sheffield would make my life easier.....Screenshot_20190404-194458_Maps.thumb.jpg.26e40bee5d7f4e06547007bc34e95cf8.jpg

Im in ,as long as we can all stop at yours when there is a game on . 

• Haha 2

On 03/04/2019 at 13:28, jamthesun said:

There has been lots of discussion on here about a potential new stadium. Lot’s of people feel that new stadiums are soulless and characterless. 

I’ve seen some footage of the new Spurs ground and I have to say I think it looks fantastic. 

Thoughts?

Spurs' stadium is an NFL ground.  fizz that.

Guest Grez Bez

If we do move grounds it needs to be in the city centre (or near) both for the sake of the club and city

They are only soulless when built in a retail park near the motorway

On 03/04/2019 at 21:28, jamthesun said:

There has been lots of discussion on here about a potential new stadium. Lot’s of people feel that new stadiums are soulless and characterless. 

I’ve seen some footage of the new Spurs ground and I have to say I think it looks fantastic. 

Thoughts?

Spurs new stadium cost £1bn !! Redevelop Hillsborough everytine for me...start with Lepp making it a stand that can have an away end that can be reduced I’m size when needed and move onto taking pillars off kop and then modernise the north..simple

11 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

You get a 30/35000 average by big crowds balancing out the lower ones . Don’t you think we would get 45/50000 for big games in the premier league of which there are more than when we last played in it. A stadium isn’t just for games against Burnley, Bournemouth etc but also Man U , Liverpool and the other big clubs. Also any success would see our fan base grow in what is a much bigger competition than what it was the last time we played in it 

Doesn't work like that, the upkeep of a 40000 stadium is excessive for the occasional big fixture.  Only way we will get 40000+ attendances is if the opposition brings thousands like Man U, Leeds, etc.  Can remember in the early 70's standing on The Kop in a 55000 + stadium with only 7/8000 in attendance, soul-destroying but a feeling of togetherness. At least in those days, we knew the ground would be used for showplace games, semi-finals, Internationals. This is unlikely to happen again. We aren't up there with the big clubs, probably similar to Derby, Leicester, Southampton who have just the right sized grounds. 

I find this thread an interesting…social experiment almost.

There are people saying we should NOT move as it’s our home (well, maybe in your time watching Wednesday, yes). But where does that end? Are we allowed to move when you pop ya clogs? Are we ever allowed to move? All change is bad etc etc. Have you ever moved house?

Then there are those who say “world cup plans”. But these plans are already many years old. What were they other than removing the pillars from the Kop (yay), and extra tier on the West and some computer labs on the North?

What about the rest of the infrastructure?  

Even if the World Cup Plans are implemented, it doesn’t really make the stadium a long-term home? What about the facilities (yes, some say we can build out from the Kop, but can we, are we allowed, what about the foundations/Tree?!). Compare the size of the concourse in the south/north compared to modern stadiums.  Surely, what everyone wants is a successful team, and our ability to attract better players and pay them will be linked to a good stadium and the ability to generate money all year round (which Hillsborough can never do…parking etc).

What about player’s facilities? Yes, the changing rooms have been redone since Mr C arrived, but I bet they are hardly the best. What about physio space and rehab space for when a player comes off injured? Indoor warm-up areas such as an area to stretch and prehab?

What about corporate (maybe then we can charge as much as we do!)?

We then have those who say we “cant have a soulless bowl as you can’t generate atmosphere”. When was the last time you described Hillsborough as having a better atmosphere as those who play in a bowl. I can remember it being very quiet at times… to the ned that me and my friend jokes about bring a book. Surely the atmosphere is a direct result of the same fans + team performance anyhow?

There are those saying “we only got 30k tops the last time we were in the Prem”. Yes, true, but that was a long time ago, football is different now (change!!!) So, to me, people who say “stay, at whatever costs” are those who will be complaining when we can’t compete (more so).

I would vote move….if….. we can still have a stadium to be proud of (i.e. something a little unique, hey, it can even have 4 stands if you want!). No Derby, Sunderland, Boro etc.

Failing that, revisit World Cup plans, update and modernise.

Failing that, sort the west out

Failing that, paint the blood West.

Failing that, a win tomorrow....

However, and the flip side, I can’t wait to walk over that bridge tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Absolutely not. It's not like our ground is too small, Hillsborough is better than some prem grounds and most of the championship and is full of history and tradition which modern day football needs more of. 

Thanks for proving my point lol

1 hour ago, Burnsie said:

I find this thread an interesting…social experiment almost.

There are people saying we should NOT move as it’s our home (well, maybe in your time watching Wednesday, yes). But where does that end? Are we allowed to move when you pop ya clogs? Are we ever allowed to move? All change is bad etc etc. Have you ever moved house?

Then there are those who say “world cup plans”. But these plans are already many years old. What were they other than removing the pillars from the Kop (yay), and extra tier on the West and some computer labs on the North?

What about the rest of the infrastructure?  

Even if the World Cup Plans are implemented, it doesn’t really make the stadium a long-term home? What about the facilities (yes, some say we can build out from the Kop, but can we, are we allowed, what about the foundations/Tree?!). Compare the size of the concourse in the south/north compared to modern stadiums.  Surely, what everyone wants is a successful team, and our ability to attract better players and pay them will be linked to a good stadium and the ability to generate money all year round (which Hillsborough can never do…parking etc).

What about player’s facilities? Yes, the changing rooms have been redone since Mr C arrived, but I bet they are hardly the best. What about physio space and rehab space for when a player comes off injured? Indoor warm-up areas such as an area to stretch and prehab?

What about corporate (maybe then we can charge as much as we do!)?

We then have those who say we “cant have a soulless bowl as you can’t generate atmosphere”. When was the last time you described Hillsborough as having a better atmosphere as those who play in a bowl. I can remember it being very quiet at times… to the ned that me and my friend jokes about bring a book. Surely the atmosphere is a direct result of the same fans + team performance anyhow?

There are those saying “we only got 30k tops the last time we were in the Prem”. Yes, true, but that was a long time ago, football is different now (change!!!) So, to me, people who say “stay, at whatever costs” are those who will be complaining when we can’t compete (more so).

I would vote move….if….. we can still have a stadium to be proud of (i.e. something a little unique, hey, it can even have 4 stands if you want!). No Derby, Sunderland, Boro etc.

Failing that, revisit World Cup plans, update and modernise.

Failing that, sort the west out

Failing that, paint the blood West.

Failing that, a win tomorrow....

However, and the flip side, I can’t wait to walk over that bridge tomorrow. 

A nice bit of justified paragraph formatting there. 

Two gold star and ten house points. 

19 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

I would hate to leave Hillsborough and I would welcome any plans which could bring it up to scratch. 

On the stadium tour we were told Chansiri is considering all options but has identified two sites, one in Carbrook and another between J34 and J35 of the M1. 

Would be a gut wrenching day should we ever leave. Couldn't bare to hear the final final whistle. 

It would, but if we did move we could have everything under one roof so to speak. The ground, training ground, youth team, multi story car park etc. As mentioned previously, if it was built to be self sufficient and not just a venue for football, we could generate extra money. Also just because it would be a new stadium, doesn't necessarily mean it has to hold 60, 70 thousand fans. It could be designed so that seating can be taken away to suit demand.