New Stadium

24 minutes ago, akbuk said:

At the very least the Leppings Lane end should be redeveloped

Both ends of the ground need major redevelopment.

Leppings Lane end complete demolition and rebuild to eliminate the bottlenecks outside.

Kop end also difficult with 15000 fans exiting onto major road. Needs more space to move around within the perimeter.

Remove the mound it’s built on and create proper concourses? Major work needed there, and then those columns supporting the roof.

May be better value in moving, but this is not London, 35,000 capacity is enough.

The World Cup plans would have been just about good enough to secure hosting a couple of games to be held one year ago. They’re totally inadequate for securing a future for the next 30/40/50 years.

Total sticking plaster. No way near good enough.

Edited by Sonny

I think both city clubs will eventually move, us, probably for the reasons stated on here, and the piggies, because of the value in owning a city centre site, they will want to cash in at some point. I know it doesn’t happen in this country, but I wouldn’t be adverse to sharing a, state of the arts, City of Sheffield stadium. A flagship stadium with parking, and proper transport links.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

New grounds attract fans Derby been the prime example.  We would fill a 40,000-50,000 in the Prem and if we had a modicum of success then we would be as big as anyone outside of the top six.  

I don't think I'd want to sit with people who couldn't be bothered to go and support the team before but suddenly decide to because it's a new stadium. Leave that to the plastic majority at Brighton and Hull who didn't want to know before they got new grounds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think both city clubs will eventually move, us, probably for the reasons stated on here, and the piggies, because of the value in owning a city centre site, they will want to cash in at some point. I know it doesn’t happen in this country, but I wouldn’t be adverse to sharing a, state of the arts, City of Sheffield stadium. A flagship stadium with parking, and proper transport links.

As much as they go on about being in the city centre, as if the ground was bang next to the cathedral or something, it's not really, it's a trek from the centre in a run down grotty largely residential area.

It's mentioned that Hillsborough is a poor location for generating commercial revenue, but then people forget that Spurs is bang in the middle of one of the biggest - and poorest - sh*tholes in London. I know this because I live there.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A stadium share would make sense from a financial point of view you'd expect, but from a fans point of view it would be horrific.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

A stadium share would make sense from a financial point of view you'd expect, but from a fans point of view it would be horrific.

Maybe, but I think we’d get used to it. They’d only be with us twice a season

We need an upgrade thats for sure .. but i'd like to see us redo Hillsborough and keep some gaps in between the stands - gives it character rather then all these modern enclosed bucket stadiums which become pretty soul less ..

proper character with some of these classic stadia ...

13 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Watching the game now.

The stadium is very impressive.

I think a refurb for us as per the World Cup plans would do just fine.

I am told that those plans could not be done. Ok to tart up using a PC and graphics but actually was not possible to achieve in reality

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Both ends of the ground need major redevelopment.

Leppings Lane end complete demolition and rebuild to eliminate the bottlenecks outside.

Kop end also difficult with 15000 fans exiting onto major road. Needs more space to move around within the perimeter.

Remove the mound it’s built on and create proper concourses? Major work needed there, and then those columns supporting the roof.

Yeah I think that Penistone Rd end is going to be the real head-scratcher.

Lepp end WILL get revamped entirely in the not-too-distant, I'm sure of it. Lots more space around the stands up that way, even despite the nearby housing, and a relatively simple/smaller scale fix for most of the pressing issues at that end of the ground.

Kop is much trickier - literally built on a mound of rubble, so I can't see them being able to do much to it structurally (ie. concourses etc, which are completely impractical even for the crowds we get now) without basically pulling it down and starting over. And there's very little room to build into, with the roadside being so close. I do wonder if they'd be better trying to build exits up and over, but we don't own the land on the other side AFAIK, and can't see the council agreeing to it. Even if they did, it'd be hellishly expensive. Not sure what the best solution is tbh.

Re: parking, I'm definitely not a big fan of those huge sprawling concrete parking lots, but - genuine question - is it at all common for stadiums at this level to have basically *no* fan parking on site? I've only been to a handful of away grounds, maybe 7, but off the top of my head I don't recall any of them having effectively none whatsoever. (I know we've a few spaces here and there in little corners and by the ticket office, but for all intents and purposes none of it is really usable as fan parking on matchdays.) Most of them seemed to be more like Deepdale, where I parked literally right outside the stand I was going in, literally a 15-second walk away.