New Stadium

9 minutes ago, Badger57 said:

A forest fan I know said he was choosing to go to the sheff. Utd v forest game instead of the owls v forest because of how much hassle it is to get to Hillsborough. So there is a case of it putting people of going. 

Aye, reyt hassle getting a tram, poor chap. 

14 hours ago, shandypants said:

Tottenham’s new stadium is a middle-class twerp’s wet dream. Fvvck that! Football should be tribal not comfortable! Double Fvvck that! Give me Hillsborough any day. 

Exactly it's like a shopping mall with all with its fancy mile bar & own microbrewery. They're f**ked running it all if they ever take a nose dive down the leagues. I want character to stay in football, that ground could be anywhere on the planet. Yes it's nice but it's also so corporate & could not be sustained without heavy backing and a large capture audience that London provides. Even with that they're now under so much pressure as a club to be successful, it could all turn sour. It seems that there are now too many clubs chasing Barcelona/Real Madrid stature which I think is dangerous. 

Edited by Colinwestzicoest

11 minutes ago, Badger57 said:

A forest fan I know said he was choosing to go to the sheff. Utd v forest game instead of the owls v forest because of how much hassle it is to get to Hillsborough. So there is a case of it putting people of going. 

Why would we care if it put away fans off? I always travel to games by public transport and I've never found Hillsborough difficult to get to. In fact, thanks to the tram, Hillsborough is easier to get to than the City Ground is.

If it were down to me we should demolish the Lepps first and build a much bigger (plenty of space at the back) stand. The Kop is the problem. To demolish this and then flatten the mound by removing the debris is a massive operation. Also fill in the corners. I think the South stand and to a lesser extent the North are both ok as they are.

Making stadiums bigger reduces the singing and general atmosphere. Man U, Man City, Arsenal, West Ham fans are all critical about the loss of atmosphere since changing/moving stadiums. Seeing Spurs new stadium I think once the novelty has worn off they will think the same.

44 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Exactly it's like a shopping mall with all with its fancy mile bar & own microbrewery. They're f**ked running it all if they ever take a nose dive down the leagues. I want character to stay in football, that ground could be anywhere on the planet. Yes it's nice but it's also so corporate & could not be sustained without heavy backing and a large capture audience that London provides. Even with that they're now under so much pressure as a club to be successful, it could all turn sour. It seems that there are now too many clubs chasing Barcelona/Real Madrid stature which I think is dangerous. 

I doubt they will be struggling to run it all. Spurs have a fan base that will ensure it pays for itself before long, especially with the NFL connection and sponsorship.

As for character, I think they have done more than plenty of other clubs in that respect, staying in the same location and having a stand behind the goal that will probably generate a better atmosphere that the Old White Hart Lane did if they get the ticketing right. 

As you say, it would be dangerous for many other clubs to try and follow suit but the London base which you mention and the other elements above means things like this are the way forward if Spurs are to continue to compete with the other big clubs in England and Europe.

Hillsborough has two stands that would need knocking down and rebuilding in order to meet "modern standards", one of which is literally built onto a pile of mud. The North would require huge redevelopment of the areas behind and around the stand. There are big questions around parking and accessibility, and it sits on a piece of land that has been severely flooded within our lifetime. And - as much as people don't like hearing it - the name of our stadium is regularly followed immediately by the word "Disaster" in much of the public eye.

We're also seeing Bramall Lane selected more for various levels of international football. Whatever you think about womens football, Bramall Lane will be hosting international football this year. And do you think they'll sit still on redevelopment if they get promoted? Are people happy about that while they sit and point at our plans that weren't realistic for a World Cup that never happened?

Leaving Hillsborough will be a horrible, gut wrenching day, but I think it's absolutely delusional to think the club shouldn't consider moving or that Hillsborough will be our home forever. It's possible to be both emotionally attached to Hillsborough and hate the idea of leaving it, while also recognising that almost all logic points to us being better off if we moved.

37 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

And - as much as people don't like hearing it - the name of our stadium is regularly followed immediately by the word "Disaster" in much of the public eye.

I was at a meeting with some people at work I don't normally see. I mentioned i was going to Hillsborough the following day, as it was Friday, and one woman asked if I was a Liverpool supporter. She got a few odd looks in the room but to people who don't really follow footy this is what the Hillsborough name is associated with now.

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

Why would we care if it put away fans off? I always travel to games by public transport and I've never found Hillsborough difficult to get to. In fact, thanks to the tram, Hillsborough is easier to get to than the City Ground is.

Parking is atrocious though, traffic wardens making a fortune

1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

If it were down to me we should demolish the Lepps first and build a much bigger (plenty of space at the back) stand. The Kop is the problem. To demolish this and then flatten the mound by removing the debris is a massive operation. Also fill in the corners. I think the South stand and to a lesser extent the North are both ok as they are.

Making stadiums bigger reduces the singing and general atmosphere. Man U, Man City, Arsenal, West Ham fans are all critical about the loss of atmosphere since changing/moving stadiums. Seeing Spurs new stadium I think once the novelty has worn off they will think the same.

I don't think the Kop needs demolishing..there is plenty of space between the back of the Kop and the road. The stand could be extending to the turnstiles creating plenty of room for new concourses for foot outlets , bars and new toilets . This could be done without changing the existing structure.

Guest Grez Bez
36 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I don't think the Kop needs demolishing..there is plenty of space between the back of the Kop and the road. The stand could be extending to the turnstiles creating plenty of room for new concourses for foot outlets , bars and new toilets . This could be done without changing the existing structure.

Loads of room behind the kop if we built to Penistone Road

5.thumb.png.55c9adcce2bbd346ad306b6e111d8369.png6.thumb.png.087a2e613e1e9dfabc4249637d9f8161.png7.thumb.png.006e003681e51187773288d90be00d19.png

38 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Understand that. However the space that could be created by digging out the mound and having concourses and bars underneath would turn it into a modern Kop and we could increase the capacity at the same time.

5 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

In the dizzy heights of our Premier League days, we never achieved an average attendance figure of 30,000, so why not look at replacing Leppings Lane, smartening up the Kop and building a state of the art training facility?

Yet the average premier league attendance has gone from 30000 in 1999 to 38000 today. Not unrealistic to think our average would reflect that increase.

Its not about capacity anyway, it’s about having a stadium that secures a prosperous future for the club (and that the authorities will actually allow us to fully utilise).