New Stadium

There has been lots of discussion on here about a potential new stadium. Lot’s of people feel that new stadiums are soulless and characterless. 

I’ve seen some footage of the new Spurs ground and I have to say I think it looks fantastic. 

Thoughts?

I’d love us to stay where we are. I also know the ground and the half-mile surrounding it would need a 70% rebuild at probably equal or greater cost than a new ground if we hope to increase attendances significantly in the next 10 years, which presumably could only really happen as a result of going up and staying up.

• Like 1

It looks pretty spectacular, but fairly similar to other modern stadiums. Which is not something that appeals to me. 

At least with old stadiums you have some character, a mish mash of stand sizes, seats that are slightly different shades. Bits added over time that look a little bit out of place, but who cares it adds to the character. 

Dont get me wrong, I can understand the economical merits for a club like wednesday building a new stadium. But I’d rather they modernised Hillsborough, if at all possible.

I guess moden football fans, and football tourists in the PL aren’t interested in tradition. 

I also think it smacks of something when a club who’s won nowt for years gets to spend 1bn in a brand new stadium. 

Edited by bigdan2003
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamthesun said:

There has been lots of discussion on here about a potential new stadium. Lot’s of people feel that new stadiums are soulless and characterless. 

I’ve seen some footage of the new Spurs ground and I have to say I think it looks fantastic. 

Thoughts?

Those new stadiums, they really lack the traditional gravitas of concrete cancer, corrugated iron, barbed wire and the scattering of thistle and dandelion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, PortlandOwl said:

Those pint pourers are impressive.

A billion pound spent but most people remember the beer dispensers above all. So let's get a few of those bad boys in, sell falafel scotch eggs and we have achieved the same at a fraction of the cost . Simples.

Will be very expensive and largely pointless to move stadiums when we can't currently fill our current one (plus would straddle the club with even more debt). The jury remains out on the Tottenham one, but others like West Ham, Arsenal's lack atmosphere and new stadiums also tend to lack the character and history of the old one. And the more we cut costs the more likely it will resemble a tinpot Reebok Stadium cut-out than something truly designed for fans.

If it is affordable we should look at renovating parts of the Leppings Lane end and those nearby sides of the North and South stands, to properly segregate the away fans, allow full capacity in the North and South stands and fix that bottleneck outside the ground. Particularly if we get promoted could see these issues leading to lots of 'Hillsborough' headlines. But probably not feasible at present, so better investing in players and coaching in the hope of getting Premier League which would open up more money for future renovations.

• Like 1