New Stadium

Ps. Was Lee the chairman when the world cup plans came out? Would be interested to hear to detail behind them (ie was it just concept or was there more detail there about what could and couldn't be achieved on the site etc) 

Does Lee still come on here?

37 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Ps. Was Lee the chairman when the world cup plans came out? Would be interested to hear to detail behind them (ie was it just concept or was there more detail there about what could and couldn't be achieved on the site etc) 

Does Lee still come on here?

I believe World Cup plans were given planning permission which has now lapsed.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

Spurs new stadium cost £1bn !! Redevelop Hillsborough everytine for me...start with Lepp making it a stand that can have an away end that can be reduced I’m size when needed and move onto taking pillars off kop and then modernise the north..simple

Modernising the Kop is anything but simple.

Its built on a mound of god knows what with trees growing out of it, limiting the space for adequate concourses.

Added to that most of its exits are into a major road. Short of re routing Penistone Road I don’t see how it can be done.

Much as I hate the idea of leaving Hillsborough a new stadium is probably the best solution.

I often wonder a new stadium could be built on part of Hillsborough Park.

The land on which the existing stadium stands could then be given back to the council as a new park area in exchange.

57 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Its built on a mound of god knows what with trees growing out of it, limiting the space for adequate concourses.

Added to that most of its exits are into a major road. Short of re routing Penistone Road I don’t see how it can be done.

Much as I hate the idea of leaving Hillsborough a new stadium is probably the best solution.

The land on which the existing stadium stands could then be given back to the council as a new park area in exchange.

Take the mound away and start again

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Been wondering exactly the same thing.

Much of the football experience is about the area, the pubs, your walk to the ground etc. 

If we could stay in Hillsborough, it would soften the blow of losing the stadium immensely 

The fact mr chansiri has done nothing permanent to the ground when it is in dire need suggests to me he is looking to move. I know everyone has their own view on how big any stadium should be and I can see all points of view. My position is simple i want my club to finally fulfill it’s much vaunted potential , I’ll be honest I’m sick of seeing others who we have been on a par with before grow and leave us behind and I hate the idea of the pigs having a bigger stadium and potentially hosting World Cup football, thats our place in Sheffield. I want us to think big to aim high and look to grow and I believe our club can do it . I’ve had forty odd years of us invariably failing I want whatever time I have left to be different, better. I’d rather go Sunderland than Derby and give it a go

10 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

Much of the football experience is about the area, the pubs, your walk to the ground etc. 

If we could stay in Hillsborough, it would soften the blow of losing the stadium immensely 

If we had to move.  My preference has always been the dog track.  Any move to the two sites mentioned previously would be devastating IMO.

12 hours ago, Blatter said:

No. Hillsborough Park was a gift to the city from a rich benefactor industrialist that wanted to give something back. It’s a resource for 600k+ Sheffielders to use for free; for kids to play footy, learn to ride their bikes, play in the swing park and fish with their dads. Hillsborough Park is not and should not be a piece of land that could be snap up by a football club so that they can build a ground to be used by 20 odd thousand fans every other week through the football season. 

Edited by shandypants

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

No. Hillsborough Park was a gift to the city from a rich benefactor industrialist that wanted to give something back. It’s a resource for 600k+ Sheffielders to use for free; for kids to play footy, learn to ride their bikes, play in the swing park and fish with their dads. Hillsborough Park is not and should not be a piece of land that could be snap up by a football club so that they can build a ground to be used by 20 odd thousand fans every other week through the football season. 

Take your point. Just a bit of daydreaming on my part, but I do think trying to find a site in the Hillsborough area would be the best way of retaining our identity.

Must be brownfield sites of former industrial areas at this end of the city.

I doubt if out an out of city stadium adjacent to the M1 has much appeal to most of us.

11 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

Exactly this ......... Arsenal, Cardiff and now Spurs have moved yards to their new stadiums as opposed to miles!

Where has this come from? If you think we are moving stadiums you are clinically insane lol. Once we get to the prem you could reasonably expect us to touch up Hillsborough, maybe do a full redevelopment in 5/10 years time if we have been in the top flight 2 or 3 seasons. This isn't Football manager you only spend money if you stand to gain significantly improved financial forecasts from a redevelopment. ie Champions league/top class players as targets/ consistently maxed out capacities.

We have none of those things, we have negative forecasts in every department other than the squad (just), the only thing that will benefit our club in the foreseeable future is the squad, and every ounce of effort and planning rightly is going into that!

Edited by keepitsteel89

22 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Take your point. Just a bit of daydreaming on my part, but I do think trying to find a site in the Hillsborough area would be the best way of retaining our identity.

Must be brownfield sites of former industrial areas at this end of the city.

I doubt if out an out of city stadium adjacent to the M1 has much appeal to most of us.

Isn't the land where Wednesdayite car park is ideal for this?

13 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

The owners  put in a planning application for a retail complex a couple of months ago .

16 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

DC had the chance to buy it but turned it down.  Planning permission has been submitted by the current owners & it will cease to be the Wednesdayite car park at the end of this season.

Edited by mogbad

17 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Where has this come from? If you think we are moving stadiums you are clinically insane lol. Once we get to the prem you could reasonably expect us to touch up Hillsborough, maybe do a full redevelopment in 5/10 years time if we have been in the top flight 2 or 3 seasons. This isn't Football manager you only spend money if you stand to gain significantly improved financial forecasts from a redevelopment. ie Champions league/top class players as targets/ consistently maxed out capacities.

We have none of those things, we have negative forecasts in every department other than the squad (just), the only thing that will benefit our club in the foreseeable future is the squad, and every ounce of effort and planning rightly is going into that!

I don't agree with this. 

Many clubs, including our peers have moved grounds or re-developed in the last 20 yrs without a hope in hell in champions league football. I agree that the top six clubs have significantly moved away from the rest in terms of revenue. We were the equals of Tottenham and Man City in the early 90s but time moves on.

Everton's plans are fantastic - a move to the up an coming docks area nearer the city is a good move and will enhance the fan experience with external facilities near the ground allowing travel and the 'day experience' to be far better. We rely on the match to provide that - the before and after the match experience is none-existent unless you are happy crammed into the ever decreasing number of grubby local pubs around the ground.

A decision will have to be made about Hillsborough in the next 5 yrs or so. Clearly promotion to the PL will accelerate this decision and action. It of course takes money. No one can be happy that we have had to live with the ridiculous seat-restricting consequences of the leppings lane end for 20 years. Today will be a move from the norm, in that the away fans actually get to use the bottom tier. This happens what; three times a season? It's a nonsense and we have to move on and get stadium and facilities that are fit for the next 50 years; not stuck in the 1980s.

• Thanks 1