Change to the number of headers allowed in training

5 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

That's it banning kids from heading a ball is being banned, no more tackling in school rugby, let's give people a choice instead of wrapping them in cotton wool, what's next? Stopping people from wearing loud shirts near hospitals, in case they wake the sleeping pills, cmon grow a pair for god sake

Perhaps kids working on their technic isn't a bad thing heading the ball when they are older and brain developed is a good idea

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

That's it banning kids from heading a ball is being banned, no more tackling in school rugby, let's give people a choice instead of wrapping them in cotton wool, what's next? Stopping people from wearing loud shirts near hospitals, in case they wake the sleeping pills, cmon grow a pair for god sake

wibble

• Haha 3

There are loads of things which are bad for kids which we don't give them a choice about.

Why should heading a football be any different?

Now that research is suggesting a link between heading a ball and both dementia and CTE, you'd have to be pretty negligent to allow kids to continue doing it.

• Like 5

I agree with the original poster. We were made to head wet leather balls with laces in Winter and it never did us any harm so what if the earth is smaller than the sun and does anyone else see small people hiding in their shoes at night?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Like it or not it’s almost impossible to imagine a scenario where heading will remain in the children’s game. An activity proven to massively increase your chances of dementia can’t realistically continue for kids.

I think it will be kept in matches for the foreseeable but practicing headers will definitely be reduced. 

Personally I’m still annoyed about the withdrawal of Asbestos as a building material. Bloomin nanny state!

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea, but what happens if the ball unintentionally goes in the air and one of the kids heads it, will the ref blow for a foul or something, also the balls nowadays are much lighter than the old caseys so I don't think there would be as much danger.

This really is a bad idea.

Teach the correct method, limit in training, even use head guards, I'm all for it.

But I've seen youth football that discourages this and trust me, it's not great. It's poor, very poor.

It forces a pattern of play that meny kids arnt capable of, and will drive kids away and de-skill them in the art of correct heading.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 hour ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

The hot weather brings them out doesn’t it?

Read the story about Ryan Jones, former Wales captain who has early onset dementia at aged 41 and also CTE. Would love to see you say sport is going soft to his face.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know what the comparison of dementia / related illnesses in football is to boxing. It does appear to be going down the route of banning heading, possibly within the next 10 years or so. If so, where does that leave boxing? 

There is an element of risk to all sports, on a sliding scale. Not sure why the OP is having so many have a go at him, it's an important debate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UpGrahamHydesSleeve said:

The hot weather brings them out doesn’t it?

Read the story about Ryan Jones, former Wales captain who has early onset dementia at aged 41 and also CTE. Would love to see you say sport is going soft to his face.

No need to have a go at the OP. Provide a link, and argue your point. 

8 minutes ago, RighthOwlon said:

Are the risks still the same nowadays though, given footballs are so much lighter than they were even 10 years ago? 

Fair question.