Change to the number of headers allowed in training

Guest hirstysfags

Grow a pair. Man up.

How did we ever survive before the "nanny state"?

Oh yes, that's right, most people didn't make it past 60 and if they did, they were in a pretty bad state.

Just now, Daniele Giovanni said:

I'd like to apologise for my honest opinion on this, I was wrong to bring this delicate subject up, so once again I'm sorry, 

I think it was the way you did it. Almost scorning of people wanting to help cut out brain injuries, dementia etc. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

There are loads of things which are bad for kids which we don't give them a choice about.

Why should heading a football be any different?

Now that research is suggesting a link between heading a ball and both dementia and CTE, you'd have to be pretty negligent to allow kids to continue doing it.

If you say "What about" about everything that is wrong, nothing ever gets put right.

12 hours ago, RighthOwlon said:

Are the risks still the same nowadays though, given footballs are so much lighter than they were even 10 years ago? 

I think, but I could be wrong, that the ball weight doesn't make much difference. I can't remember why though off the top of my head. Maybe it's to do with the difference in training methods and more heading of the ball in training than before.

Anyway, Alan Shearer did a great investigation on it which you can watch here. It's over an hour long but very in-depth and very interesting.

Edit: No irony intended btw, with the cannot remember/off the top of my head statement.

Edited by ChapSmurf

Let's just put this one to bed (I did post this earlier in the thread but seems it might have been missed)

It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects. “It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field.

“The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

To summarise - we can't just say things like the old balls were heavier and that's why the old footballers got brain damage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 28/07/2021 at 11:55, i used to be sc_owl said:

*Waits for people to talk about how it was different back in the day when the ball weighed a ton*

Just because something happened in the past, it doesn't mean we should keep on doing it in the future.  

It is Owlstalk after all.  It's not full of spring chickens.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's just put this one to bed (I did post this earlier in the thread but seems it might have been missed)

It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects. “It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field.

“The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

To summarise - we can't just say things like the old balls were heavier and that's why the old footballers got brain damage

Have you watched that documentary? It's really intreresting.

57 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not saying 'what about', though...

🤷‍♂️

You didn't use the words "what about" but saying we don't need to do a thing about one bad thing because there are lots of other bad things going on is whataboutery.

Edited by OxonOwl

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I didn't say that, either.

Read my post again.

:duntmatter:

LOL

It must be the heat.

I think I must have interpreted what you said as having the exact opposite meaning of what you meant.

My apologies.

• Like 1