Change to the number of headers allowed in training

On 28/07/2021 at 23:01, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest when I was a kid I can’t really remember specifically training to head a ball. 

Nor me, though this was back in the days of black and white tv.

Funnily enough, I remember getting concussed once whilst playing as a teenager.

My heading wasn't the best so the ball pretty much landed on the top of my head, the old 50 pence.

Anyway, a few hours later I'm getting a migraine and throwing up all over the place. Brutal.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Nor me, though this was back in the days of black and white tv.

Funnily enough, I remember getting concussed once whilst playing as a teenager.

My heading wasn't the best so the ball pretty much landed on the top of my head, the old 50 pence.

Anyway, a few hours later I'm getting a migraine and throwing up all over the place. Brutal.

I was so bad at heading this was pretty much after every header for me 

lol

Owlstalk Shop

We have to accept that sport evolves and if new evidence comes to light then we have to acknowledge it and consider whether its necessary to react to it

If we believe there is the possibility that what we are doing with our kids in their sport is potentially going to lead to brain injuries later in life then it's vital that something is done to mitigate that

Kids at younger ages invariably can't head the ball correctly anyway - and inappropriate technique alone is potentially damaging

We are starting to get to grips with concussion to a degree - although it has to be said there is dispute and debate among the various authorities on that but i think we have it just about right

I'd like to see much stronger and robust guidance/ruling on second and third concussions however - and timeframes - such as 2 concussion within one season for eg (or whatever timeframe deemed applicable)

• Like 7

I think that although more likely to happen to a football, you have to consider that ex-footballers are often fitter people and often more affluent people. Therefore they live longer. The older you are the more likely dementia is. 

Though if it is a risk do we need to make changes or is it just a risk football will just have to manage with because the game would change too much? I can't see players sticking to guidelines on heading practice if this is an important part of their game. Most occupations have something that increases the likeliness of various medical conditions. 

If it is proved that the balls are a great risk now due to the speed then surely that's a simple change that should be utilised- however I am not sure the likes of FIFA or Nike would be happy with a slower ball. 

3 hours ago, Blueform mac said:

Can't be doing with these pathetic wimps and do gooders  who want to dictate to everyone how to live their lives and what sports they should play. Go away and start on the weird beards,and their husbands who tramp about on mountains putting their lives in danger and the people who have to rescue them quite often . Go away lobbers 

Reyt edgy 

Owlstalk Shop

Would we potentially see players that use heading as a real goal threat start to wear head gear like cech or rugby players. Fletcher was a class header of the ball and he got that way through training more than likely. 

3 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Would we potentially see players that use heading as a real goal threat start to wear head gear like cech or rugby players. Fletcher was a class header of the ball and he got that way through training more than likely. 

If some form of head protection would help not just with headers but for when players fall and hit their heads on the ground or when there is a collision of heads I think it would be a good idea.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 11:36, shandypants said:

I think the only way we’ll significantly reduce brain injury is to ban heading completely. That way, they’ll be little chance of putting players at risk from ball to head Impact 

I see your point but what a fundamental change to the game that is. Would it be made a foul if you touch the ball with your head at all or only intentionally , or perhaps what is deemed as deliberate force. 

What happens to walls, corners, how do players challenge goalkeepers.

Personally I think some form of headguard is we really have too would be preferable rather than a ban.

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

I see your point but what a fundamental change to the game that is. Would it be made a foul if you touch the ball with your head at all or only intentionally , or perhaps what is deemed as deliberate force. 

Personally I think some form of headguard is we really have too would be preferable rather than a ban.

Can’t see a rugby head guard altering the force in which the ball hits very much. Would need an American football helmet 

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Can’t see a rugby head guard altering the force in which the ball hits very much. Would need an American football helmet 

I don’t think either would work. I think the injury is caused by the brain slamming around inside the skull rather than the impact of the ball. 

For the record: I am not advocating a game without heading. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I don’t think either would work. I think the injury is caused by the brain slamming around inside the skull rather than the impact of the ball. 

For the record: I am not advocating a game without heading. 

Impact of the ball causes that. The American football helmet would work because it’s rigid for heading a ball though obviously not a sensible idea otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Impact of the ball causes that. The American football helmet would work because it’s rigid for heading a ball though obviously not a sensible idea otherwise.

Concussion is an enormous problem in American Football - the helmet doesn’t prevent concussion. 

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh that’s because they dive into each other head first, not the ball hitting ‘em!

Head contact is banned in the NFL and has been for years. 

Concussion is caused by the brain slamming around in the skull and not by the impact itself. 

On 19/08/2021 at 22:23, scram said:

We have to accept that sport evolves and if new evidence comes to light then we have to acknowledge it and consider whether its necessary to react to it

If we believe there is the possibility that what we are doing with our kids in their sport is potentially going to lead to brain injuries later in life then it's vital that something is done to mitigate that

Kids at younger ages invariably can't head the ball correctly anyway - and inappropriate technique alone is potentially damaging

We are starting to get to grips with concussion to a degree - although it has to be said there is dispute and debate among the various authorities on that but i think we have it just about right

I'd like to see much stronger and robust guidance/ruling on second and third concussions however - and timeframes - such as 2 concussion within one season for eg (or whatever timeframe deemed applicable)

Great post.

Back in the 70s, as a competitive cyclist, I was concussed a couple of times. The first time I came round in the pits and ended up with about a dozen stitches in my eyelid and brow. Had a massive headache for a few days but the hospital never mentioned a break or rest so I was back on my racing bike two days later. The second occasion, I was taken to hospital and the doctor discharged me saying I was ok to drive! I could hardly keep awake at the wheel but, because the medic had cleared me, I thought it was being a "bit of a wimp" not to carry on as normal.

Looking back it was very scary. I also played alongside footballers who had clearly sustained concussion during schools matches and nobody bothered. It was the done thing in those days.

Thanks to modern science, cycling now has mandatory helmets, which reduce serious injury at speeds of 25/30mph or less, for about 30 years now. These days, whether competing or not, I would never get on any bike - road, track, MTB, BMX, etc. - without one. I am not sure how football could learn from this... restrict or ban heading? wear a headguard? There are probably other solutions, too, but at least the debate has now opened up.

The current concern shows how far we have come in protecting our sports people but there is still a long way to go.

• Like 1