Change to the number of headers allowed in training

3 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I'm probably being simplistic here, but can't all footballers just wear Skullcaps, or whatever they call them?

I'm sure they could be adapted to substantially minimise damage to the head/brain, it would stop some of the horrible haircuts we are subjected to and it would be another opportunity for sponsors to get involved, I'm sure we can come up with some great sponsor ideas?

Thought of one - instead of Wu-Tang Clan and 'protect ya neck', How about Loyle Carner and Protect ya Head?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And as Llera proved when he wore one it made every header UNSTOPPABLE

dont' know how he got away with wearing it to be honest

lol

I know, right?

Imagine if Reda Johnson had have worn one? He would have won the golden boot and everything.

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I played Sunday league for 20 years mate when we used proper balls, not the lightweight balloons the pro's use these days. Heading is a massive part of the game. 

Football has already suffered enough due to tackling being outlawed. Ban heading and we may as well call it a day. 

You do realise the weight of the ball is stipulated within the rules of the game and has actually got slightly heavier over the years?

Further to that studies have shown that even the old style leather balls when wet only added as little as a gram to the weight.

So combined with the aerodynamics improvements leading to faster shots it's actually a lot more force in today's game than there used "back int' day" 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, TheGaffer said:

You do realise the weight of the ball is stipulated within the rules of the game and has actually got slightly heavier over the years?

Further to that studies have shown that even the old style leather balls when wet only added as little as a gram to the weight.

So combined with the aerodynamics improvements leading to faster shots it's actually a lot more force in today's game than there used "back int' day" 

Can't be reight m8

According to the hard men on here, footballers are all pansies and wet blankets these days

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Can't be reight m8

According to the hard men on here, footballers are all pansies and wet blankets these days

Honestly, some people are so chuffing sensitive it's ridiculous.

New studies have come out that shows the clear link with heading the ball over their professional career, heading the ball every day for 20+ years, that it causes horrible illnesses later in life.

New scheme comes in that reduces the amount of heading in their career, that only focuses on training, that might reduce those effects, so people don't get brain damage.

How people can get precious about it, when it doesn't affect their life at all, is just being over sensitive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Shorter fights.  More protection, like head guards in amateur boxing.  

I don't understand why people are so against developments designed to protect players? I'm not saying heading should be abolished.  I'm saying that measures designed to keep players healthy can only be a good thing.

Amateur boxing has stopped using head guards as far as I know, it restricted vision and stopped the boxers worrying about head shots. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Here we go again Nanny State

Your not joking , and sadly it will get worse , police state . Sugar tax is next , prob alcohol next they will reduce the beer to 2% vodka to 15% etc just watch . What is laughable is that boxing does serious damage yet is legal , but because we used footballs many years ago what were much heavier which caused damage to some in later life now nothing can be allowed even if the risks are incredibly low. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Honestly, some people are so chuffing sensitive it's ridiculous.

New studies have come out that shows the clear link with heading the ball over their professional career, heading the ball every day for 20+ years, that it causes horrible illnesses later in life.

New scheme comes in that reduces the amount of heading in their career, that only focuses on training, that might reduce those effects, so people don't get brain damage.

How people can get precious about it, when it doesn't affect their life at all, is just being over sensitive.

There are a lot of risks most of us take in life , i dont plan on stopping drinking or eating cake because it might chip 2 years off life expectancy etc . Live today forget the end . The last 18months especially for the young are time whats gone . 

8 minutes ago, morganowl said:

There are a lot of risks most of us take in life , i dont plan on stopping drinking or eating cake because it might chip 2 years off life expectancy etc . Live today forget the end . The last 18months especially for the young are time whats gone . 

But that's a personal choice, you know the risks by doing things like that due to years and years of research that's gone into it

People weren't getting into football knowing that every time they headed a ball they were taking risks with the health of their brains, it's only recently most sports have started looking into brain injuries causes by constant force and it's still in it's early days as the only way they can conclusively tell if someone has brain damage is by cutting into their brains once they've passed.

This shows that over the last few years, heading is becoming less and less common in the professional game, fairly soon heading will have gone the way of the 2-3-5 formation and passing back to the goalkeeper

https://statsbomb.com/2020/07/headers-across-leagues/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, morganowl said:

Alright Callum, but at least give them a rest on a matchday, eh?

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Back int' mah day

Players sued to tek whippet ont 10 mile run, gut pub drink fotty pints smoke 25 woodbines and still turn up at there T'illsboro and score an hattrick arfcut

Sounds like David Hirst who you’re on about there?

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Interesting… I don’t follow boxing so news to me!

Headguards are horrible, I bought one and used it once for sparring and haven't touched it since. I don't know anyone in my gym who uses one for that reason

Taking a punch in a headguard felt so concussive too, essentially two padded surfaces you're getting your head rattled around by.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, morganowl said:

Your not joking , and sadly it will get worse , police state . Sugar tax is next , prob alcohol next they will reduce the beer to 2% vodka to 15% etc just watch . What is laughable is that boxing does serious damage yet is legal , but because we used footballs many years ago what were much heavier which caused damage to some in later life now nothing can be allowed even if the risks are incredibly low. 

I can readily believe you headed many footballs. 

The problem here is your statement that "nothing can be allowed", because the position is in fact that some things are allowed, and some age-related guidelines on heading balls in practice do not equate to our being in Hoxha's Albania 

32 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I can readily believe you headed many footballs. 

The problem here is your statement that "nothing can be allowed", because the position is in fact that some things are allowed, and some age-related guidelines on heading balls in practice do not equate to our being in Hoxha's Albania 

i dont have a problem with doing less heading in training etc but it starts with that , next year banned in training year after banned in games . yet  2 men can smash each others brains in doing serious long term brain injuries and thats allowed , i give in just cant get stuff