Change to the number of headers allowed in training

7 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Agree that more research is needed.  However, would it not be best to come down on the side of caution to protect the health of the players?  No one is talking about banning heading, but rather tweaking training to reduce the risk.  

This is what people are missing here, it's a case of tweaking the training. Nothing more really. It's not a fundamental change to the game.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

This is what people bare missing here, it's a case of tweaking the training. Nothing more really. It's not a fundamental change to the game.

It’s only a limit on ‘high force’ headers anyway (ball coming in from 35 meters or so). You can still practice heading!

Guest mrbluesky
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's just put this one to bed (I did post this earlier in the thread but seems it might have been missed)

It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects.

“It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field.

“The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

To summarise - we can't just say things like the old balls were heavier and that's why the old footballers got brain damage

Thanks, Neil

Playing devil's advocate here, have you got a link to the study? Is it comprehensive?

Opinions are like ar*eholes, everyone has one.

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It’s only a limit on ‘high force’ headers anyway (ball coming in from 35 meters or so). You can still practice heading!

There you go. So not a huge change. I think people have just seen the headline and without reading the devil in the detail and gone headers are banzored.

Edited by Maddogbob

Just now, mrbluesky said:

Thanks, Neil

Playing devil's advocate here, have you got a link to the study? Is it comprehensive?

Opinions are like ar*eholes, everyone has one.

In this thread I've posted articles from alzeihmers.org.uk, the BBC and more

I've also posted three videos showing Alan Shearer's documentary and findings

Google it - there's eyewatering amounts of research

Do you not somehow that having a leather missile smashed against your forehead at rapid speed and with dangerous amounts of mass over and over and over and over and over and over and over again might cause damage?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

There you go. So not a huge change. I think people have just seen the headline and without reading the devil in the detail and gone headers are banzored.

What???

Headers are banned???

NANNY STATE!!!

They're taking away my rights as a straight white middle aged old man!!!

Next thing they'll be stopping kids doing down t'mines and removing all the asbestos we spent years putting into ceilings

FFS

This country...

I blame Gary Lineker and the Mainstream Media

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE TRUMP

MAKE HEADERS GREAT AGAIN

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

In this thread I've posted articles from alzeihmers.org.uk, the BBC and more

I've also posted three videos showing Alan Shearer's documentary and findings

Google it - there's eyewatering amounts of research

Do you not somehow that having a leather missile smashed against your forehead at rapid speed and with dangerous amounts of mass over and over and over and over and over and over and over again might cause damage?

lol

That'll be a no, then?lol

Alan, tho lol I wondered when that would be mentioned 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

What???

Headers are banned???

NANNY STATE!!!

They're taking away my rights as a straight white middle aged old man!!!

Next thing they'll be stopping kids doing down t'mines and removing all the asbestos we spent years putting into ceilings

FFS

This country...

I blame Gary Lineker and the Mainstream Media

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE TRUMP

MAKE HEADERS GREAT AGAIN

Essentially this is the reaction here. 

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

"i think there needs to be more research" posts person who has ignored all the research in the thread, all the research online and all the documentaries on the subject

lol

That'still a no, then? lol

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Who to believe.

Them there on Owlstalk who used to boo Jack Hunt when he played for us before and probably think COVID is a hoax.

Or experts.

Not sure me.

It's a tricky one innit
Here's me thinking all the research, findings, early deaths, dementia n that and all the evidence was enough
But Mr Blue Sky off the internet thinks not and thinks smashing your head against a Leather missile 50 times an hour is just fine
So..

As you were

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a tricky one innit
Here's me thinking all the research, findings, early deaths, dementia n that and all the evidence was enough
But Mr Blue Sky off the internet thinks not and thinks smashing your head against a Leather missile 50 times an hour is just fine
So..

As you were

What I find even more bizarre is that it's a tweak to training, which won't  effect how the game will be played, in anyway and it bothers him.

Edited by Maddogbob

Guest mrbluesky
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a tricky one innit
So..

As you were

Post not poster 🙂 

Be selective to suit the narrative 

No one has shown me a comprehensive study yet, but Neil off interntz sez so

@Owlstalk Admin Team can we give Neil a "time out" on the naughty step, to avoid another ban? 🙂 

He seems very perplexed on an issue that's not been fully investigated, but he says it has, so must be true lol

I'm probably being simplistic here, but can't all footballers just wear Skullcaps, or whatever they call them?

I'm sure they could be adapted to substantially minimise damage to the head/brain, it would stop some of the horrible haircuts we are subjected to and it would be another opportunity for sponsors to get involved, I'm sure we can come up with some great sponsor ideas?

3 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I'm probably being simplistic here, but can't all footballers just wear Skullcaps, or whatever they call them?

I'm sure they could be adapted to substantially minimise damage to the head/brain, it would stop some of the horrible haircuts we are subjected to and it would be another opportunity for sponsors to get involved, I'm sure we can come up with some great sponsor ideas?

And as Llera proved when he wore one it made every header UNSTOPPABLE

dont' know how he got away with wearing it to be honest

lol

Owlstalk Shop