Change to the number of headers allowed in training

32 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i dont have a problem with doing less heading in training etc but it starts with that , next year banned in training year after banned in games .

I honestly don't think there's any appetite for banning heading wholesale; just limiting it in training.

Not everything is the start of a slippery slope; that's often just a poor excuse used to oppose change.

As you say, limiting heading in training is no problem, so go with it. If somebody suggests banning heading completely, the game as a whole will oppose it, I'm sure.

Progress, the links to repeatedly heading the ball to dementia are clear. Limiting heading in training is a good way to keep awareness of the topic at hand and also allow heading to stay in the game. The NFL and NHL will see radical rules changes over the next 8-12 years, and the NFL is already adapting, which will change the look of the game. Football will be fine as the majority of headers in the game are not high velocity. People don't like change but change is inevitable in this area.

1 minute ago, eightbelow said:

Progress, the links to repeatedly heading the ball to dementia are clear. Limiting heading in training is a good way to keep awareness of the topic at hand and also allow heading to stay in the game. The NFL and NHL will see radical rules changes over the next 8-12 years, and the NFL is already adapting, which will change the look of the game. Football will be fine as the majority of headers in the game are not high velocity. People don't like change but change is inevitable in this area.

What I really don't get is why people are scared of change.

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

What I really don't get is why people are scared of change.

I work in sport and come up against this a lot, people generally like the way things are and if its not clearly broken then it should be left alone. In the area I work in we have taken heading out of the game at U12 and below and introduced safer heading protocols for coaches to introduce heading in practices in low velocity situations and limiting the amount of time they can practice heading during the week. When they get to the age s of 12-14 we can teach them to head the ball correctly and safely in a short space of time.

14 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

I work in sport and come up against this a lot, people generally like the way things are and if its not clearly broken then it should be left alone. In the area I work in we have taken heading out of the game at U12 and below and introduced safer heading protocols for coaches to introduce heading in practices in low velocity situations and limiting the amount of time they can practice heading during the week. When they get to the age s of 12-14 we can teach them to head the ball correctly and safely in a short space of time.

My eldest has been involved since u7 (now u10) he's never had any proper heading coaching. As you say it seems to have been that way since he's been around.

Obviously I've had the conversation about how to head it, but frankly as I've said before  but it's so rare its used. I'd rather he get the ball down, under control and work it effectively anyway, mainly because, you have got less control with a punted header. (Ie lose possession).

That said he will try it and most of the time they cant judge the ball movement in air anyway and the biggest danger is it getting it full on in the face.

I've honestly no issue with it.

Edited by Maddogbob

17 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

My eldest has been involved since u7 (now u10) he's never had any proper heading coaching. As you say it seems to have been that way since he's been around.

Obviously I've had the conversation about how to head it, but frankly as I've said before  but it's so rare its used. I'd rather he get the ball down, under control and work it effectively anyway, mainly because, you have got less control with a punted header. (Ie lose possession).

That said he will try it and most of the time they cant judge the ball movement in air anyway and the biggest danger is it getting it full on in the face.

I've honestly no issue with it.

To be honest when I was a kid I can’t really remember specifically training to head a ball. 

11 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Again, it doesn't mean that we should keep heading the ball.  The ball has changed constantly throughout time, but the act of heading a ball (even those used today) over and over again is not good for the brain.

On that basis how long before kicking it is banned on account of the assorted leg injuries?

It'll be like the Middle Ages soon, game banned so we can all concentrate on our Archery practice!

Edited by Utah Owl

Absolute load of rubbish. How the flying fûck are they going to practice set pieces when they can only head the ball 10 times per week. As if they’re going to stick to that, it’s totally ridiculous. 

Why are footballers so special? Fück me! What about the lads that work down mines or in the steel works or construction sites. Shall we ban bullets in the Army? 

Ridiculous. Take your chances or fuçk off and play crown green bowling or croquet.  

14 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Absolute load of rubbish. How the flying fûck are they going to practice set pieces when they can only head the ball 10 times per week. As if they’re going to stick to that, it’s totally ridiculous. 

Why are footballers so special? Fück me! What about the lads that work down mines or in the steel works or construction sites. Shall we ban bullets in the Army? 

Ridiculous. Take your chances or fuçk off and play crown green bowling or croquet.  

Do the miners head footballs?

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Chris Woods seemed to be getting the hang of it at Wembley when he ducked a ball that was hitting him in the chest, but ducked so far the ball missed hitting him in the head. How unfortunate !

Ahead of his time 

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest when I was a kid I can’t really remember specifically training to head a ball. 

Me neither.

I can remember lots of technical stuff on and off the ball, lot of movement, tracking players and positioning but nothing regarding heading at all

14 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

You do realise the weight of the ball is stipulated within the rules of the game and has actually got slightly heavier over the years?

Further to that studies have shown that even the old style leather balls when wet only added as little as a gram to the weight.

So combined with the aerodynamics improvements leading to faster shots it's actually a lot more force in today's game than there used "back int' day" 

A wet casey football weighed only a gram or so more than a dry one! I would have thought more like 50g but the memory fades probably because of heading too many wet casey balls lol

8 hours ago, Steelman said:

= “look at me!! I’m a proper bloke me. I’m a reyt hard proper bloke me RARRRRRRR”

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop