Change to the number of headers allowed in training

1 hour ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

I'd like to apologise for my honest opinion on this, I was wrong to bring this delicate subject up, so once again I'm sorry, 

1 hour ago, markg said:

I think it was the way you did it. Almost scorning of people wanting to help cut out brain injuries, dementia etc. 

This is pretty much it mate. To be honest, the thread can be a really helpful vehicle for communicating what the evidence is and why the change has been proposed. Being able to share the body of research is helpful because it means people can see the data and understand why this is happening, rather than not really knowing it and instead feeling understandably defensive that the game they grew up watching is being "tarnished".

If you'd started your OP with "I disagree with this, can people explain what evidence there is? Because if there is none, I think this is wrong and very "nanny state" like" then I don't think people would have a problem. It would give a nice platform for discussion while showing that you're reasonable enough to hear the evidence before damning it. As is, the OP is just the wrong tone. 

It's always worth taking that step back and assessing the evidence before reacting emotionally

• Like 3

As a big rugby union fan I can only predict that this is going to be a wake up call for football.

Rules on tackling and head contact have changed dramatically in RU and with them the game has changed too and for the worse in the short term at least imo.

It had to happen given the sheer weight of evidence of dementia in relatively young guys and the players getting bigger and faster. Lots of players are getting multiple concussions as the contact gets bigger and bigger. 

If heading and head impacts are causing brain disorders then football will have to change, its that simple. 

On 28/07/2021 at 12:30, @owlstalk said:

errrr....

I know this might not go down well BUT

Can I just point out that despite the ranting of people saying 'this is ridiculous' or 'nanny state' the absolute facts are that the footballers who have been heading the ball for your entertainment have been dying early from brain injury

So yeah - keep saying how ridiculous it is

I 100% support players and their families and friends not suffering due to the footballer in question getting serious brain damage, just because some old gimmers wanted them to be heading a football over and over and over for years for their entertainment

And I 100% absolutely GUARANTEE that none of you - NONE of you - would be up for having brain damage so please... stop volunteering others to have it

Thank you 

Yours truly,

Every sensible person on the planet

I haven’t read all the reply’s so don’t know if this point has been made but… 

we can decide if we want to play football and head the ball or not can we not? 

footballers get paid a lot of money, can they not just decide that the rewards outweigh the cons in terms of heading a ball? 

1 minute ago, Mosborough-owl said:

I haven’t read all the reply’s so don’t know if this point has been made but… 

we can decide if we want to play football and head the ball or not can we not? 

footballers get paid a lot of money, can they not just decide that the rewards outweigh the cons in terms of heading a ball? 

No

Because some footballers have the intellect of a spider so need protecting from themselves

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I did - like you say it's a must watch for anyone in this thread really

Those regarding the issue in the NFL (albeit a considerably more physically violent sport) are helpful too. I've also read about it in a bit more depth. For those who shun documentary type films, the Will Smith movie 'Concussion' addresses it in a Hollywood fashion that is rather more superficial than the issue deserves and doesn't detail quite how resistant the league was for a long period.

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No

Because some footballers have the intellect of a spider so need protecting from themselves

Apparently JW has already donated his brain for medical reseach into this very subject; and he kindly says there's no need to wait for his demise either as he never uses it anyway!

lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You have to protect certain people from harm if they aren't bright enough to understand what they're doing will harm them

Why do we have to spoon feed everyone these days? Why can’t people think for themselves? 

personally I think we definitely should highlight the damages of heading a ball, then it’s up to said person to make that decision. 

5 minutes ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Why do we have to spoon feed everyone these days? Why can’t people think for themselves?  

Because we should protect those vulnerable, easily led, gullible, aged, disabled or the not very bright ones

Come on now

This shouldn't even be a point to discuss

Nobody is 'spoon feeding' you

There's been a few weather warnings ffs

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because we should protect those vulnerable, easily led, gullible, aged, disabled or the not very bright ones

Come on now

This shouldn't even be a point to discuss

Nobody is 'spoon feeding' you

There's been a few weather warnings ffs

These players are not that thick to not understand the dangers ffs. They have to read, sign and understand a professional contract. 

This is just my personal view on this and speaking as someone who grew up heading those old leather balls there is NOTHING as good as heading the ball into the back of the net especially when you have outwitted bigger defenders and got the jump on them NOTHING. And truth be told I'm not sure I would want to play a game where you can't head a ball.

Edited by daveyboy66

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

This is just my personal view on this and speaking as someone who grew up heading those old leather balls there is NOTHING as good as heading the ball into the back of the net especially when you have outwitted bigger defenders and got the jump on them NOTHING 

At least as far as you can remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

At least as far as you can remember.

I remember my first headed goal in a proper match at Pomona St school on the pitch at the back of the school aged 9 when we beat the year above us and my last headed goal aged 48 at Hillsborough in the Charity Aid match with John Pearson as our captain 

Guest hirstysfags
4 minutes ago, Waddle93 said:

I've not had a read of the report but I will day heading a 1950s ball, Mitre Multiplex and a modern ball are 3 totally different things.

Mass v Velocity = probably the same impact force overall.