Change to the number of headers allowed in training

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I literally don't see how this can be tracked and enforced?

It can’t and they don’t want to.

"It will be recommended that a maximum of 10 higher force headers are carried out in any training week.“

They’re just recommending that you limit the amount of headers you perform as research shows it can have long term effects on players. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

I run a junior team, and the irony is that one of the biggest cheers you get during a game is when a kid heads the ball. 

This is very true. It’s a nightmare trying to get 10 year olds not to head the ball in training.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

*Waits for people to talk about how it was different back in the day when the ball weighed a ton*

Just because something happened in the past, it doesn't mean we should keep on doing it in the future.  

We haven't kept doing it though.  The ball IS totally different than it used to be.

• Like 8

Just now, owlinexile said:

We haven't kept doing it though.  The ball IS totally different than it used to be.

Again, it doesn't mean that we should keep heading the ball.  The ball has changed constantly throughout time, but the act of heading a ball (even those used today) over and over again is not good for the brain.

• Like 7

Trying to remove tackling as much as they can, now trying their best with heading. 

We will have foam goalposts soon as they'll be classed as too dangerous.

It's a risk of course it is, it's part and parcel of the sport.

Every sport has risk, every action we take has some sort of risk.

Boxing & MMA for example - they choose to take punches/kicks/elbows to the head fully well knowing the consequences that can happen.

"Evidence suggests it can cause a long term effect"

My Grandad has shown early signs of dementia - he's never kicked or headed a ball in his life.
We're talking about getting long term diseases/injuries which you can get whether you head a ball or not.
Personally i'd take the risk and have the luxury career a footballer has for something i might end up with anyway regardless.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Again, it doesn't mean that we should keep heading the ball.  The ball has changed constantly throughout time, but the act of heading a ball (even those used today) over and over again is not good for the brain.

What about sports like rugby, boxing etc where blows to the head are part of the sport? Are they seeing changes to regulations?

4 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

What about sports like rugby, boxing etc where blows to the head are part of the sport? Are they seeing changes to regulations?

Yes. Especially in Rugby. There has been a number and still growing number of court cases, linked to rugby and early onset dementia. Football thankfully doesn't have this link so far, as early onset is truly horrible. 

11 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Heading the ball is an integral part of the game though.  Take it out and it's a completely different sport.

Mess with a winning formula too much, and you risk ending up with 'new coke'.

• Like 1