Could we redevelop Hillsborough for the 2030 World Cup?

Just now, Standidno said:

If it come to Sheffield it goes to the Lane. Premiership standard, premier league club. Take off the blue n white tinted specs. It makes sense.

Reckon same issues around space, parking and transport would still make Hillsborough more favourable. And also Bramall stain is dirty.

• Like 1

11 years on from our bid for a 2018 World Cup stadium. 

New stadiums have been built and existing stadiums modified. Hillsborough is basically the same, so no chance it gets selected if we put a bid together for 2030.

Elland Road and Bramall Lane much more likely for Yorkshire representation.  

The old ground needs so much spending on it to get it anywhere near. I’d agree Yorkshire needs a stadium in the World Cup but I’d even expect Leeds to Chuck loadsamoney at Elland Road and that would be the one chosen. 

Would be really sad, as the buzz round the city for Euro 96 was incredible and I’d love to see that again.

Whilst we could technically redevelop the stadium, I think there is too much baggage involved.  The stadium is closed in on all sides by main roads and housing.  It would be a logistical nightmare.  Also, there is the shadow of the disaster hanging over the stadium.  The minute any work is announced, you can bet it will all get dragged up again.  

I would rather see us move to a new stadium, in a new location, with good transport links.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are they not extending or have extended to World Cup to have more teams play?

was it more groups or another around of groups? 

more stadiums required if so 

but I’d imagine 

your looking at 2/3 grounds in each of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales then your looking

if 16 is the magic number that leaves 

10-7 English stadiums 

cant see it 

but apart from London they probably will only go one stadium per city just because of the hotels in uk

so 

london 2-3 

liverpool

Birmingham maybe 2 

newcastle 

leeds 

Nottingham/ derby 

Southampton 

Manchester 

Sheffield 

it would be challenging but Sheffield offering the peaks, hillsbrough park as fan zone 

Birthplace of football and the worlds oldest ground ( football heritage ) it holds grounds for a place and I think will airways be a strong nomination 

1 hour ago, Owlbashthi said:

That's what mc cabe thought last time lol. 

We had a Chairman at time who could see prestige having World Cup or Euros games could bring to city and the club.

Going back even though Dave Richards is not well thought of now I think he did see as an honour having Euro 96 games and that it was good for Sheffield.

Chansiri not bothered about 1 little bit about Sheffield or prestige of the club. 

I think with Chansiri as Chairman it's a non starter.

24 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Who has a ground like us?

A 40,000 capacity stadium where we’re only allowed to use 30,000 seats 

I meant facility wise. Not size.

Why bother making the extra 10k seats usable? We ain't filling Hilsborough in league one. Maybe for 1 or 2 freak games where we clinch promotion or something. Not worth the expense when we can't even pay the staff now.

4 minutes ago, trev said:

I meant facility wise. Not size.

Why bother making the extra 10k seats usable? We ain't filling Hilsborough in league one. Maybe for 1 or 2 freak games where we clinch promotion or something. Not worth the expense when we can't even pay the staff now.

Regardless of capacity, the Leppings Lane stand should be demolished for reasons of being no longer fit for purpose.  A tragedy happened there and we've kept the design, and put more posts in there to support the extension of the roof.   

• Like 1

I can see it now. It'll be a 48-team World Cup, 16 stadiums spread around the British Isles, and Hillsborough will be chosen. We'll spend £100 million tarting the stadium up and end up hosting Nicaragua v Kuwait and Gabon v Bolivia.

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Regardless of capacity, the Leppings Lane stand should be demolished for reasons of being no longer fit for purpose.  A tragedy happened there and we've kept the design, and put more posts in there to support the extension of the roof.   

Agreed it should. No point in rebuilding yet though. Stick the 300 away fans in the top  left of the North or something.

20 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We had a Chairman at time who could see prestige having World Cup or Euros games could bring to city and the club.

Going back even though Dave Richards is not well thought of now I think he did see as an honour having Euro 96 games and that it was good for Sheffield.

Chansiri not bothered about 1 little bit about Sheffield or prestige of the club. 

I think with Chansiri as Chairman it's a non starter.

good point actually

1 hour ago, Mac_77 said:

Baseball ground 

Millmoor

The old den 

The McCain stadium 

Maine road 

Boothferry crescent 

The Dell

Filbert street 

Gay Meadow 

Upton Park

Roker park

Ayesome park 

Saltergate 

Leeds Road

Belle Vue

Highbury 

Right, what have I won 🙌 

Out of those, only Highbury still exists for league football.

I'm not sure Fleetwood is ready for WC football, although there's loads of hotels a tram ride away, in Blackpool.  

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

What 16 stadiums do you reckon would get it?

Man United

Spurs
West Ham?
Everton's new stadium
Newcastle?

Who else?

There is a rule (or was, still don't know if it still is) that only one city can have 2 stadiums hosting games.

So if you had Wembley and Tottenham's stadium then you couldn't have Old Trafford and the Etihad.

Stadiums must also have minimum of 40,000 seats and that rises to 60,000 for quarter finals and semi final. Final and opening ceremony must be 80,000

Its also a UK & Ireland bid

Wembley

Tottenham Stadium or Twickenham

Old Trafford

St James Park

St Mary's (If expanded)

Villa Park

Anfield

Stadium of Light

Hampden

Celtic Park

Millennium stadium

Aviva

The only thing that I could see that makes it viable is if the Government decide to throw some cash around as part of the ‘build build build’ agenda of Boris. It’s all so far away though that I think it’s a very slim chance. Also building a brand new multi purpose stadium fits that agenda better. I think the old girl will, bar a bit of a facelift, remain the same for the foreseeable future!