Could we redevelop Hillsborough for the 2030 World Cup?

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Why are we bidding with ireland?? We could easy do it on our own

Should be an England only bid imo, but the other home nations would cry about it.  Scotland and Wales want to get involved because it's the only way they'll get to qualify for the finals. 

It'd be ironic if it was a "UK" bid, and Scotland and Wales have gone independent by 2030. 

Hampden Park

Celtic Park

Windsor Park - With some added capacity?

Croke Park

St James's Park

Elland Road

Old Trafford

Anfield

City Ground

Hillsborough - With development. (Old plans?)

Millennium Stadium 

Villa Park

Wembley

London Stadium

Carrow Road

St Mary's

I think we'd still be a likely candidate.

Baseball ground 

Millmoor

The old den 

The McCain stadium 

Maine road 

Boothferry crescent 

The Dell

Filbert street 

Gay Meadow 

Upton Park

Roker park

Ayesome park 

Saltergate 

Leeds Road

Belle Vue

Highbury 

Right, what have I won 🙌 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Absolutely no chance Hillsborough would make the cut this time. Zero, none, zilch. 

The world has moved on, while we're a relic. Wouldn't it have been nice if we had an owner for the first time in two/three decades that would have fixed that as opposed to just throwing money at what's on the pitch?

No,i love it as it is.

10 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Hate to say it but more likely to choose Bramall Lane then Hillsborough.

Outside football United seem a lot more keen on staging things over last few years.

Boxing, Rugby League World Cup, Rod Stewart, Womens Cup Finals, Local Non League Cup Finals, International School boys football.

Cant remember anything at Hillsborough apart from Wednesday games over last few years.

Not so. Hillsborough was chosen over Bramall Lane for Euro ‘96 and the last World Cup bid. The reason Hillsborough was chosen for the last World Cup bid related to the fact that there is plenty of space for a fan park and camp site in Hillsborough Park. Link this with the fact that Hillsborough Park successfully accommodates Tramlines on a yearly basis (thus can demonstrate it can host large crowds), Hillsborough Corner is nearby, and that there is an actual tramline almost next to the ground that can take you to the heart of the city, Kelham Island, West Street/Division Street, the Universities, the Olympic Legacy Park, Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall, you will find that Hillsborough Stadium is much the better option than Bramall Lane. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Millennium stadium- Wales

Wembley

Arsenal

Spurs

Southampton

Liverpool

Everton

Man Utd

Man City

Newcastle

Leeds

Villa

Croke Park - Ireland

Aviva- Ireland

Celtic

Hampden

Rangers

Can't see either Sheffield stadium being considered tbh

There is, or was, a rule that only 1 or 2 cities could have more than one stadium. London with Wembley and Spurs would be a cert,  maybe Glasgow for the other although Manchester would make a strong case. 

11 minutes ago, pioowl said:

eh,why not ?

You're joking right? Our ground is a relic of better times in the past, where it once held league Cup semi finals.

It has the scars of the Hillsborough disaster, Safety at Grounds all over it, had barely any investment or barely a lick of paint and looks like something you might find in Eastern Europe.

Meanwhile most clubs in the premier league have extended capacity, modern infrastructure etc etc. It's a sh1tole by comparison

• Like 5

Things that I have day dreamed in the past year or so....

What if England managed to get the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 instead of the PROVEN corruption that saw Russia and Qatar get it. Corruption that has been swept under the carpet. 

Hillsborough WOULD have received the redevelopment that was due to finish in 2016 I believe (the year we were at our highest under Carlos). 

If these redevelopments had occurred and Hillsborough was being updated to the 46k capacity, brand new leppings lane stand etc, new facililites, modern facilities, etc then surely we would have received a great deal of investment interest from serious investors that would see a 46k capacity brand new stadium, a traditional club and think we need to cement this team in the top half of the Prem with it's potential. Instead these investors chose the likes of Leicester and Wolves. 

So basically if there wasn't FIFA corruption, Hillsborough got the renovations it was due to get and football investors saw the potential I genuinely think we could have been a Premier League team pushing up for top half finishes by 2020 onwards. 

So basically it's FIFA's fault we are poo . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
28 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Wembley

Arsenal

Spurs

Southampton

Liverpool

Everton

Man Utd

Man City

Newcastle

Leeds

Villa

Croke Park - Ireland

Aviva- Ireland

Celtic

Hampden

Rangers

Windsor Park, Belfast too.

29 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Wembley

Arsenal

Spurs

Southampton

Liverpool

Everton

Man Utd

Man City

Newcastle

Leeds

Villa

Croke Park - Ireland

Aviva- Ireland

Celtic

Hampden

Rangers

Stamford bridge? Olympic stadium?

Or are they restricted to so many stadiums in one area? I.e london

5 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Things that I have day dreamed in the past year or so....

What if England managed to get the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 instead of the PROVEN corruption that saw Russia and Qatar get it. Corruption that has been swept under the carpet. 

Hillsborough WOULD have received the redevelopment that was due to finish in 2016 I believe (the year we were at our highest under Carlos). 

If these redevelopments had occurred and Hillsborough was being updated to the 46k capacity, brand new leppings lane stand etc, new facililites, modern facilities, etc then surely we would have received a great deal of investment interest from serious investors that would see a 46k capacity brand new stadium, a traditional club and think we need to cement this team in the top half of the Prem with it's potential. Instead these investors chose the likes of Leicester and Wolves. 

So basically if there wasn't FIFA corruption, Hillsborough got the renovations it was due to get and football investors saw the potential I genuinely think we could have been a Premier League team pushing up for top half finishes by 2020 onwards. 

So basically it's FIFA's fault we are poo . 

Wouldn’t we have had to fund the redevelopment ourselves? Not sure we ever had the money to follow through with it. 

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

We should redevelop Hillsborough regardless of  the World Cup or the Johnson's Paint Trophy.

Euro 96 was the last meaningful upgrade IIRC.  25 years!

Our stadium is fine for league one or even lower championship  tbh.

We show no signs of being any higher than that for the foreseeable.