Could we redevelop Hillsborough for the 2030 World Cup?

Because the tournament would be spread around the country it would come to Yorkshire.

Hillsborough refurbished would be competing against elland road not Shoreham Street which is a horrible location. The only chance the blades have is a new ground 

Leeds are already planning expansion.

https://theathletic.com/news/leeds-elland-road-expansion/hB5XdFCVWavH

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
10 hours ago, dani_armo said:

Of course Sheffield would get games if they needed 16 or more venues, what other cities other than the big ones named would be able to cope with all the fans in hotels etc. Also they wont even go on how Hillsborough is now, like last time it scored higher than Elland Road and Bumhole Stain on all the areas marked such as space for redevelopment etc...

Nothing has changed with any of the grounds since so why would it not get picked this time??

If they don’t go on Hillsborough now, they wouldn’t go on BL now or ER. I’m amazed we marked higher than Elland Road on all areas last time, especially space for redevelopment, there’s load of land to redeveloped around there, you could almost build a new stadium next to it whilst we have none and BL has little also.

16 or more venues would only mean one for Yorkshire and it would be Leeds.

Guest Mcguigan
8 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

If there was going to be a Yorkshire venue (I'm not even sure there will) then it would be between us and Leeds. Two classic grounds, but neither in the best shape. One big advantage we have is Hillsborough Park for the fans and the quick trams from the city center. 

There would definitely be a Yorkshire venue.

20 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

35 years ago we had one of the best stadiums in the country. Probably not even in the top 20 now.

Well there’s 20 teams in PL of which 19 have better grounds for a start haha!

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

16 or more venues would only mean one for Yorkshire and it would be Leeds.

Why? There were 2 Yorkshire venues in our 2018 bid and 2 Yorkshire venues at Euro 96. I do think there's a lot of unnecessary pessimism on this thread. As long as it's one venue per city, Sheffield has a great chance. Other stadiums aren't big enough, and their clubs don't need the expansion. 

Guest Mcguigan
4 minutes ago, Sova said:

Why? There were 2 Yorkshire venues in our 2018 bid and 2 Yorkshire venues at Euro 96. I do think there's a lot of unnecessary pessimism on this thread. As long as it's one venue per city, Sheffield has a great chance. Other stadiums aren't big enough, and their clubs don't need the expansion. 

Weren't the two Yorkshire bids only part of the first phase then after another vote only one would be awarded?

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

Weren't the two Yorkshire bids only part of the first phase then after another vote only one would be awarded?

They were on the shortlist of 15, which would have been cut to 12. But several other of the proposed stadiums were highly optimistic (40K in Bristol, Plymouth and Milton Keynes!), plus there were 4 in London, at least 1 of which would have missed the cut.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

Guest mrbluesky

No.

Commentor for EVERY match held there...

"A great stadium that has been redeveloped beyond recognition, from that awful day in April when the worst footballing tragedy happened, where 96 fans lost their lives" 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Did anyone go to the old Wembley just before it closed?

How it felt? 

How creaky and old and outdated it was?

That's how Hillsborough feels to me in 2021 overall

It's got it's charming bits but really if we're honest it's very outdated

This..............................it would cost mega millions , there is so much that needs doing.

The entire Leppings Lane needs demolishing and rebuilding , The kop needs a new roof , new exit routes and vastly updating underneath in the "hospitality area as does the north stand.

It was always the case that up to 12 stadiums to be used with only one city allowed to have 2 stadiums. Qatar has broken that mould with just 8 stadiums across 5 cities, but that is down to the small sized country... and the fact is corrupt as fizz

2018 Russia - 12 stadiums (2 in Moscow)

2014 Brazil - 12 stadiums, 12 cities

2010 S. Africa - 10 Stadiums (2 in Johannesburg)

2006 Germany - 12 stadiums, 12 cities

With that in mind, you'd be looking at 

1. London x2 (Wembley +1)
  2. Dublin (Aviva or Croke)
  3. Glasgow (Celtic or Hampden)
  4. Belfast (New Stadium)
  5. Cardiff (Millennium)
  6. Old Trafford 
  7. Anfield
  8. Villa Park
  9. Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough
  10. Leeds or Sheffield
  11. Southampton or Brighton
Edited by Class of 91

19 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

But.

Qatar and before was 32 teams.

From the 2028 world cup it's 46 teams.

If they hold true to requirements I think the Blades will struggle for the hospitality area of 1,900 m/2 within 150 metres of the stadium.

Just reading about the 2026 World Cup. It says 16 stadiums (3 in Mexico, 3 in Canada, 10 in USA).

It also states that stadiums must be a minimum 40,000 capacity.

22 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Everton are moving with the times, their new stadium on the docks is going to be amazing. The days are long gone unfortunately where tradition and history play a part in modern day football. 

Ive just looked at it. Its absolutely horrible and im sure that ,shall i say,the more mature of their fans, would agree with me.

• Haha 1

I think there's a lot more chance of Hillsborough getting a game than N. Ireland. Absolutely white elephant to stick 25,000 extra seats on Windsor Park or build a whole new 40,000 stadium in Belfast for 4 games, then host Linfield with attendances of 2,000. 

Keeping in pairs for the groups. 

London - Wembley & Tottenham

South Coast - St.Marys & Amex

North West - whichever one of the Liverpool and whichever Manchester stadia has the highest capacity. 

Midlands - Villa Park & King Power or Molineux

North East - St. James & Stadium of light

Scolland - Hampden & Murrayfield (If SRU agree, I'd presume they'd prefer one Glasgow & one Edinburgh) 

Ireland - Aviva & Croke if they can get permission to use Croke. 

Wales - Millennium & Liberty if they expand, Cardiff City if not.

Now, id also add Yorkshire. And that's Elland Road and should be one of the two Sheffield. Unfortunately, if the grunters can keep bouncing in and out of the PL, they'll be in a better position financially and stability to naturally develop by then so they'd get it.

10 hours ago, pioowl said:

Ive just looked at it. Its absolutely horrible and im sure that ,shall i say,the more mature of their fans, would agree with me.

That does not matter they are as I am part of the past not part of the future