Could we redevelop Hillsborough for the 2030 World Cup?

3 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Millennium stadium- Wales

Wembley

Arsenal

Spurs

Southampton

Liverpool

Everton

Man Utd

Man City

Newcastle

Leeds

Villa

Croke Park - Ireland

Aviva- Ireland

Celtic

Hampden

Rangers

Can't see either Sheffield stadium being considered tbh

Apart from London, they won't use two different stadiums in the same city.

33 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Don't see why not, Ireland played loads of games there while the Aviva was being built.

Sure there were quite a few six nations rugby games played as well.

If it's a joint bid can see them putting both Croke Park and Aviva forward.

Aviva holds 51,000 against 82,000 at Croke Park.

When they decided to allow non Gaelic games to be played was passed by over 2/3rds of members ,so I imagine that rubicon has been crossed and would not be that difficult to allow 4? world cup games.

Logically Celtic aught to host the Scotish games ..but local politics mean that ain't likely

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Maybe but I dont think he has the

nous to put everything together to get something like this on.

The 150 Year Celebrations were a bit of a farce and hosting world Cup games is 100 times more complicated.

Well I'd imagine most of the organisational stuff will be done by fifa officials, just the match days where the club and staff have to be at their game, all hypothetical really though with the stadium in its current condition. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It looks class now its been done up but holds 18,500.

Perfect for Luxembourg vs Guatemala!

Thinking about it, as it is a UK & Ireland bid, they are probably going to have stadiums in each of the capital cities so that's 5 gone, so 10-11 to go at...

Wales

Millenium Stadium + Liberty Stadium

Scotland

Murrayfield + Hampden + 1 of Ibrox or Celtic Park ?

NI

Windsor Park

R of I

Aviva or Croke Park

England

Wembley

Tottenham Stadium

Anfield

Old Trafford or Etihad

St James Park

Villa Park

St Marys

+ a couple others that might be a bit left-field ( Pride Park / Elland Road / KCOM ) ??

1 minute ago, Hedwig said:

Thinking about it, as it is a UK & Ireland bid, they are probably going to have stadiums in each of the capital cities so that's 5 gone, so 10-11 to go at...

But they'd have to have a capacity of 40,000. Plus there'd probably be no more than 1 per city except in London. So if it's 16 venues (as it will be in 2026), you'd have, I'd imagine, 2 each in Scotland and London, 1 each in Ireland and Wales, and 10 more in England. Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham would get 3, then there'd be at least 1 in the northeast. After that, any other option would need upgrading to make the capacity requirement. 

There are too many other, much better stadiums now, that won't need anything like as much of a refurb.

In England alone:

Wembley

Emirates

New WH Lane

Stamford Bridge

Villa Park

Molineaux 

Pride Park 

Old Trafford

Etihad

Anfield

Goodison's replacement 

Elland Road

St James Park

Stadium of Light

Riverside

Then add in the Principality in Wales, both Glasgow grounds, Hampden Park, and whatever the Irish put forward.

A run down Hillsborough really won't stand a chance.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

Elland Road is such a poor stadium. You drive up and see that mega stand, then you see the rest of it is like millmoor

Yeah it's not great. They are doing a lot of work outside of the West stand at the moment, new car parks, access ramps etc. 

They've also just recently plonked two new massive floodlight pylons in the middle of the car park that are angled over the stand roof. 

I think these might be temporary as they had plans to rebuild the west stand.

In the 2018 bid one of the proposed grounds was a 40,000 capacity Home Park  at Plymouth.

Bristol City was going to get a complete new ground ,so they will likely be out as they have done a major redevelopment if Ashton Gate.

The Chinese owners if Wolves have a long term plan to increase capacity to 50,000 as unlikely as it seems.

A stadium I like that has never hosted a Premier League game and the Championship for only one season is the MK Dons stadium.

Yes it's a modern bowl type but I think it has more character than other new stadiums such as King Power, St Marys, Stadium of Light.

It holds 30,000 at the moment but was built with the scope to be easily upgraded to 45,000.

Guest Mcguigan
Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

A stadium I like that has never hosted a Premier League game and the Championship for only one season is the MK Dons stadium.

Yes it's a modern bowl type but I think it has more character than other new stadiums such as King Power, St Marys, Stadium of Light.

It holds 30,000 at the moment but was built with the scope to be easily upgraded to 45,000.

If your going to build a new ground, that would be my template. Brilliant ground.