Carlos Carvalhal was right

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

And at what cost?

I would trade all of that - the football (his first season at any rate), the playoffs, the wembley appearance - to be a comfortably mid table Championship side today. One without FFP issues, without a points deduction, without the ground being sold, and with the possibility that with modest and sensible investment we could potentially challenge .

As it is, I fear the trapdoor opening beneath us. However good the memories, they just weren't worth it.

We had modest sensible investment in his first year.

Then it was down to signing poor players that we didn't need.

Abdi £4m

Rhodes £8m

plus about £60k a week in wages.

Don't sign those two players and we probably don't have a problem with FFP, whilst not making the team any worse!

DC gave the OK, and signs the cheques.

If we had a good manager now, we would have finished more than 12 points above the drop zone last season and I'm convinced the disciplinary panel would have taken the points of last season.

Yes we blame DC for -12. But we could have easily stayed up this season with a decent manager and started again, with sensible spending.

2 people are to blame for the current situation. Mostly DC and then Monk!

• Thanks 1

Carlos is good for a season wherever he goes but he’s not a long term builder. His entire approach here was to get promoted there and then which is understandable but in failing (with huge resources and sometimes not even playing the ones he collected) he set us back years. It has cost us very dear indeed.

I liked him in spite of this, he charmed everyone and looked the part to take us to another level. But the wembley final, Huddersfield semis and steel city Derby where there was a level of hope or expectation he couldn’t deal with that. He crumbled. He only operates well when there is no expectation or as underdog. Maybe he will prove that wrong at Braga but it feels that way to me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akbuk said:

The Fans wanted him out and they got what they asked, all downhill from there .

The best manager we've had in decades,talk about reaping what you so,I get more and more frustrated with the fan base they are now after our benefactor who's pouring money into the club with little revenue coming in.

I hope they don't get there way because after 58 years of supporting the club that would definitely be close of play for me.

How do you think CC would have gone on with the budget we have now ?

He had his pick of the best players to buy .....and he failed, like he did with umpteen clubs before us 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

“You turn your back on me, you turn your back on Sheffield Wednesday”

The man was a visionary. He’s tearing it up in Europe right now.

6436F061-08CB-45B9-B786-E3EBE8FC5FD1.jpeg

I wish he had some bottle against Huddersfield he was sadly found lacking same with swansea

10 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

We had modest sensible investment in his first year.

Then it was down to signing poor players that we didn't need.

Abdi £4m

Rhodes £8m

plus about £60k a week in wages.

Don't sign those two players and we probably don't have a problem with FFP, whilst not making the team any worse!

DC gave the OK, and signs the cheques.

If we had a good manager now, we would have finished more than 12 points above the drop zone last season and I'm convinced the disciplinary panel would have taken the points of last season.

Yes we blame DC for -12. But we could have easily stayed up this season with a decent manager and started again, with sensible spending.

2 people are to blame for the current situation. Mostly DC and then Monk!

Even without those we would still be in deep trouble with FFP. Our wage bill at one point was 42m per year.

11 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

If only he’d had a go at Huddersfield away. 

That haunts me that does. Plus when we took the lead at home, we had them on the rack and sat back. Yes there was a 90min to play v Reading, but we would have beaten them I believe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Typical Wednesday fans

Unable to ever look forward

Always having to look backwards

And then complain the club never gets anywhere

It’s not just at our club, it’s a city issue. While it can’t be said of all people in Sheffield it is true to say there is a eagerness to look backwards and ( I got to say it) be negative. 
Working abroad a lot, it’s quite overwhelming upon returning to the area. 
There are many positive thinking Wednesday fans but far too many fans that are negative who seem to be more vocal .. we all know who they are! 

Just now, Mister Soul said:

It’s not just at our club, it’s a city issue. While it can’t be said of all people in Sheffield it is true to say there is a eagerness to look backwards and ( I got to say it) be negative. 
Working abroad a lot, it’s quite overwhelming upon returning to the area. 
There are many positive thinking Wednesday fans but far too many fans that are negative who seem to be more vocal .. we all know who they are! 

Too true

The number of old gimmers that post on Facebook how horrific the peace gardens are and how it was better beforehand

Yet not a single one of them walked through there in the 1980's (or at any time since) because it was a no go area

Same as the ones who yack on about how the City Centre is full of litter when it's not - showing they've not actually been to Sheffield City Centre for about 30 years

lol

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

36 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Carlos is good for a season wherever he goes but he’s not a long term builder. His entire approach here was to get promoted there and then which is understandable but in failing (with huge resources and sometimes not even playing the ones he collected) he set us back years. It has cost us very dear indeed.

I liked him in spite of this, he charmed everyone and looked the part to take us to another level. But the wembley final, Huddersfield semis and steel city Derby where there was a level of hope or expectation he couldn’t deal with that. He crumbled. He only operates well when there is no expectation or as underdog. Maybe he will prove that wrong at Braga but it feels that way to me 

Maybe some truth in the longevity thing, it does seem as if Carlos has never stayed too long anywhere. A couple of things, I’m not sure that he was given huge resources when compared to some of the competition The signings were generally excellent value for money in season one, and Carlos probably overachieved by getting us to Wembley In year two, despite having some poor signings foisted upon him, he still reached the play offs. Would agree that it was too much of a short term approach, but that’s hardly the fault of Carlos, he was just working to a brief. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Too true

The number of old gimmers that post on Facebook how horrific the peace gardens are and how it was better beforehand

Yet not a single one of them walked through there in the 1980's (or at any time since) because it was a no go area

Same as the ones who yack on about how the City Centre is full of litter when it's not - showing they've not actually been to Sheffield City Centre for about 30 years

lol

They’re probably the same people that consistently call for Megson to return, believe Pulp are a cool new up coming band and think Chubby’s is still open .. about as progressive as reverse gear! 

36 minutes ago, the monk said:

How do you think CC would have gone on with the budget we have now ?

He had his pick of the best players to buy .....and he failed, like he did with umpteen clubs before us 

He would have been brilliant 

1 minute ago, Mister Soul said:

They’re probably the same people that consistently call for Megson to return, believe Pulp are a cool new up coming band and think Chubby’s is still open .. about as progressive as reverse gear! 

They're the ones who believe that ALL the clubs troubles are ONLY caused by people online criticising errors, mistakes and total balls ups

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe some truth in the longevity thing, it does seem as if Carlos has never stayed too long anywhere. A couple of things, I’m not sure that he was given huge resources when compared to some of the competition The signings were generally excellent value for money in season one, and Carlos probably overachieved by getting us to Wembley In year two, despite having some poor signings foisted upon him, he still reached the play offs. Would agree that it was too much of a short term approach, but that’s hardly the fault of Carlos, he was just working to a brief. 

Exactly this. We needed a massive rebuild after the Huddersfield game. Carlos could have been given the resources to do it, but only Wenger and Ferguson were ever allowed to see a squad come to the end of its time and build a new one - the approach now is try a different manager with the same set of players, it can sometimes lead to some good short term results, but doesn’t change the fact that a rebuild of the squad is needed 

What we need is somebody to steer us away from this car crash season we’re heading for 

Paul Cook to end of season then have a bloody good plan going forward 

this season is now about survival dropping 9 points against teams that will be contenders for the drop is nothing short of a disgrace 

inexcusable we know we have returning players but it looks like that the squad is suffering monk needs to fall on shield to give this team a lift and a kick start 

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

The phrase “re-writing history” gets thrown around a lot at the moment, but it’s certainly what you’ve done here.

You say he had a lot of resources like success was expected. Can you tell me what your expectations were at the start of his tenure? I don’t think anybody expected us to finish in the playoffs, let alone get to Wembley.

This bottling it against Huddersfield is just nonsense. We were absolutely crippled, look how many players we had out through injury and then lost during the game (Wallace and Fletcher). That’s obviously going to have a message effect on how you play. See how Liverpool or City would get on without 6/7 of their regular starters.

The idea that it was him and his methods is also nonsense. Players have to pass fitness tests for them to play and be cleared by physios, a manager can’t force a player to play through injury. And given we still struggle with injuries 3 years on, it’s clearly not a problem caused by Carlos.

CC had some very decent; but ageing ex-PL players in his first year + BB from PL Villa, FF from a newly promoted Watford and Hooper on loan. We'd also brought in Joao and Matiais. He had practically a new team save for the central defenders, Hutch and Westwood, all far superior to the Gray team that finished mid-table on 60 points the season before. So yes, my expectation was 6-10th and considered the finish on 74 points and 6th was at the higher end of my expectations. You talk like it was an amazing result.

The season after was an attritional campaign of gathering points at the expense of general entertainment, but 4th seemed like a price to pay until the play offs which he fluffed because his players were shot by the end. The injuries weren't just bad luck and his risk averse approach that he'd adopted most of the season back fired. His third season was a right off.

• Love 1