Carlos Carvalhal was right

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Carlos was driving a porsche of a squad

instead of just driving it over the finish line he smashed straight into an old aged pensioner, a couple of lorries, and then into a brick wall before climbing out of the wreckage proclaiming himself to be the greatest driver ever

And most of the race fans fell for it

and yet the bulk of that side had us in the play off places as recently as last Christmas, until Monk got to work

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos was driving a porsche of a squad

instead of just driving it over the finish line he smashed straight into an old aged pensioner, a couple of lorries, and then into a brick wall before climbing out of the wreckage proclaiming himself to be the greatest driver ever

And most of the race fans fell for it

It wasn't in the top 3 squads or top 3 most expensive squads either season though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He got booted out WAY too late to stop the rot setting in

We're in the position we're in now because of his ridiculous mismanagement and training  ground holiday camp

That's one opinion not one that I subscribe too

Just now, coopswfc76 said:

All gone well since 2 play off campaigns.

All went well after his first season 🤦🏼‍♂️

if you class losing in the playoff final and then semi final whilst draining the club of money as a success then we are miles apart on our views. 

Carlos like every where he’s managed last a season then it started to turn sour. It’s a huge no from me!! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

At the time when Carlos left I remember thinking, what a mistake! This club will stagnate terribly on and off the pitch, culminating in a points deduction and several inept managers. We should never sack Carlos for the future is worse! I remember everyone thinking and saying that. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Typical Wednesday fans

Unable to ever look forward

Always having to look backwards

And then complain the club never gets anywhere

Only thing we have forward to is another manager and potential relegation. 

Every owls fan far and wide have an absolute reason to be upset. We look back on the past because the present isnt worth anyone's time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Name one poster who has said that.  Number 3582 Strawman argument not that I'm keeping count.

We should put 'day out at wembley' and 'losing in a playoff semi final' on our honours board according some of the carlos fanboys in this thread

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Typical Wednesday fans

Unable to ever look forward

Always having to look backwards

And then complain the club never gets anywhere

I agree - people have short memories. CC embarrassed us against the pigs, and we looked shot in his last two months. It was inevitable that he went at Christmas as he had lost the players. 

Just because we beat Arsenal in a 2nd rate cup tie doesn't mean 'he's our best manager for some time'. He had a lot of resources in those first two years and spent it on short-term options. Fair enough, if it had come we would have seen how good he was in the PL, but it didn't primarily because he bottled it against Huddersfield and his training and fitness methods ensured our key players were not match fit at the end. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Tommo_ said:

But he was in fact the best manager we've had..... For some time. 

...beacsue of the resources he had. I won't measure him against Monk, but Sturrock, Laws and Grey would possibly have got more with the resources CC had.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, heppers said:

We arguably peaked to early under him. Some great times but the end was dire.

I’d love to know the real story.

But still way better than where we are now. I doubt we will hit anywhere near that standard for a loooooooong time unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes because Carlos wanted Abdi just to never play him. He wanted McGugan who he froze out a month into his contract.

Emanuelson, Lachman, Wiggins, Sougou were all world renowned players who Carlos knew about before taking the job. How about Sergiu Bus and Felipe Melo, did Stuart Gray know those players personally? 

Carlos was head coach. He’s gone on record as saying a lot of the players who joined the club he didn’t actually want. He also went on record as saying there was pressure to play certain players from those above him.

Given what we know about DC, this seem entirely plausible. 

He wasn’t managing the finances. He had a remit to get us promoted. It was Chansiri’s responsibility to manage our finances correctly, spend within our means and run the club in a sustainable manner. What happened to “we have friends” if we fall foul of FFP? The mess we are now lies at one mans door and it certainly isn’t Carlos Carvalhal. 

doublicat_1595759388925_170.gif

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop