Carlos Carvalhal was right

1 hour ago, Tommo_ said:

He ran out of ideas apparently. Still leagues ahead of the drivel were being served with bulletproof monk

Whatever you think of monk. Being in various embargoes and points deductions came from the Carlos era where he failed to get us up due to his dogmatic approach. 

We needed a Bruce or Hughton with DCs money 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree - people have short memories. CC embarrassed us against the pigs, and we looked shot in his last two months. It was inevitable that he went at Christmas as he had lost the players. 

Just because we beat Arsenal in a 2nd rate cup tie doesn't mean 'he's our best manager for some time'. He had a lot of resources in those first two years and spent it on short-term options. Fair enough, if it had come we would have seen how good he was in the PL, but it didn't primarily because he bottled it against Huddersfield and his training and fitness methods ensured our key players were not match fit at the end. 

The phrase “re-writing history” gets thrown around a lot at the moment, but it’s certainly what you’ve done here.

You say he had a lot of resources like success was expected. Can you tell me what your expectations were at the start of his tenure? I don’t think anybody expected us to finish in the playoffs, let alone get to Wembley.

This bottling it against Huddersfield is just nonsense. We were absolutely crippled, look how many players we had out through injury and then lost during the game (Wallace and Fletcher). That’s obviously going to have a message effect on how you play. See how Liverpool or City would get on without 6/7 of their regular starters.

The idea that it was him and his methods is also nonsense. Players have to pass fitness tests for them to play and be cleared by physios, a manager can’t force a player to play through injury. And given we still struggle with injuries 3 years on, it’s clearly not a problem caused by Carlos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Fans STILL thinking Carlos did a great job

lol

Amazing

Get the honours board up lads - the Carlos fans want his achievements recognised formally

Obviously you’re on a wind up but for anyone that thinks you’re being serious - yeah, obviously he didn’t win any trophies or cups with us, but he got us closer to the Premier League than we’ve been for 20 years and probably another 5-10 years minimum, until we actually get there, CC’s first two seasons are going to be the closest we got to getting back, and when you support a club like ours, you should try to take at least some joy from it, and a day out at Wembley knowing the PL was within touching distance is the best memory a lot of fans have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carbone said:

The phrase “re-writing history” gets thrown around a lot at the moment, but it’s certainly what you’ve done here.

You say he had a lot of resources like success was expected. Can you tell me what your expectations were at the start of his tenure? I don’t think anybody expected us to finish in the playoffs, let alone get to Wembley.

This bottling it against Huddersfield is just nonsense. We were absolutely crippled, look how many players we had out through injury and then lost during the game (Wallace and Fletcher). That’s obviously going to have a message effect on how you play. See how Liverpool or City would get on without 6/7 of their regular starters.

The idea that it was him and his methods is also nonsense. Players have to pass fitness tests for them to play and be cleared by physios, a manager can’t force a player to play through injury. And given we still struggle with injuries 3 years on, it’s clearly not a problem caused by Carlos.

Massive effect not message effect 

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

Wembley was a surprise but it was clear we had many weaknesses that needed addressing. We addressed some the following season but just English football basics like a decent physical centre half and some proper wingers would’ve seen us have a better chance. The dogmatic approach relied on Lee and Hooper linking the play and when they weren’t right nor were we. It was a stylish and pretty impressive team but sometimes being able to keep it simple as a plan b gets you there. No pace to counter Huddersfield. But perhaps a different approach over the season we’d have gone up 2nd. 

Had Wallace stayed on or we’d taken a chance then I think we’d have gone up via wembley and none of this Shouldve mattered. But what was the beginning is now something we and the squad keep looking back to with regret due to all the shocking decisions made along the way.

Time to look forward if the EFL/DC and poor management combo would let us

• Like 2

Just now, Bluesteel said:

Wembley was a surprise but it was clear we had many weaknesses that needed addressing. We addressed some the following season but just English football basics like a decent physical centre half and some proper wingers would’ve seen us have a better chance. The dogmatic approach relied on Lee and Hooper linking the play and when they weren’t right nor were we. It was a stylish and pretty impressive team but sometimes being able to keep it simple as a plan b gets you there. No pace to counter Huddersfield. But perhaps a different approach over the season we’d have gone up 2nd. 

Had Wallace stayed on or we’d taken a chance then I think we’d have gone up via wembley and none of this Shouldve mattered. But what was the beginning is now something we and the squad keep looking back to with regret due to all the shocking decisions made along the way.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Wooooo!!!

Get it up on the honours board lads!!!

I’ll hold that season of thrashing Arsenal, going down to Brighton and getting to Wembley as my best memory as a Wednesday fan until I have a better one and will have that on a board to be proud of 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Losing Hooper was a major reason we failed under CC.

Losing was a major reason we got worse under Jos.

Losing Fletch was a major reason we are failing under Monk.

All valid but surely a system shouldn't really rely upon one player but it did. We never addressed such issues.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree - I think it’s also important to remember that we benefited from a crippled Brighton side, like we benefited from a crippled Huddersfield one. If we’d have gone out to Brighton then perhaps we’d have had more realistic expectations the season after and had a couple of years to build.

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

I agree - I think it’s also important to remember that we benefited from a crippled Brighton side, like we benefited from a crippled Huddersfield one. If we’d have gone out to Brighton then perhaps we’d have had more realistic expectations the season after and had a couple of years to build.

don’t have time to edit these days.. but I mean like Huddersfield benefited from our crippled side 

18 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Hes a great Manager who massively over achieves with his squad.

That doesn't make Carlos a bad manager though unless 99% of managers are bad managers?

I believe if Bruce got the job then or a manager like him we got promoted just my opinion cc was a gamble and were paying a heavy price for it

• Like 1